Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 2,858Posts
    • 6,437Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Dash Cam Recommendations
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    Dash Cam Recommendations 9th Oct 17 at 9:33 AM
    As the title really - I'm after a dashcam recommendation!

I think that a front / back facing one would be a good idea (although I'm willing to be told otherwise!) and whilst I'm happy to pay for a good one, I can't afford silly money for it.

I had thought of the Nextbase Duo but the reviews seemed to be mixed.

TIA
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
Page 1
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 9th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    Before Nextbase, Roadhawk and Blackvue were IIRC the main contenders.
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 8,944 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    missile
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    Don't waste your money on a cheap dash camera
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • deaston
    • By deaston 9th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    deaston
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    I've had a Next Base (something like the 302G) for a few weeks. Hides behind my rear view mirror, good image, easy to hardwide (I just bought a long USB cable and plugged into the USB port for the rear passengers rather than fiddling with fuses).

Within days I forgot it was there.

I haven't bothered with a rear one because I don't really see why I'd want to capture what happens behind me...
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 9th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    Have a nextbase 402g for over 2 1/2 years and still going strong. it left in car all time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dashboard-Digital-Driving-Recorder-Professional/dp/B00D8YP50A
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 2,249 Thanks
    takman
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    Originally posted by missile
    Whats's wrong with cheap dashcams?. My GS8000L which i bought over 3 years ago for less than £15 is still in my car now and operating without any issues.

The quality of the video is also pretty good and you can clearly see any details such as number plates that would be required.
    • Huskydays
    • By Huskydays 9th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Huskydays
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    Disagree with this, my Ambarella A7 (£55) did the trick for 3 years. Only reason I had to replace was because I changed cars and broke the dock when I was trying to remove it. The video quality is not as good on the a7 as some of the units these days (it has been out for 4 years), but you can certainly get a good unit on a budget.

Was feeling plush this year so moved onto a Nextbase 512GW (£140 + £20 for the hard wire kit and hafl an hour of swearing installation) which has nice video quality but covers the top left of the footage with a non-removable logo and the sound quality is terrible, although I'm not sure if the sound thing is standard or a faulty unit so will let you know if and when Halfords ever get back to me.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    • Turn to Grey
    • By Turn to Grey 9th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Turn to Grey
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    Have a look here for some unbiased reviews.
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams
    Started my job at the bottom and liked it
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 10,142 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    Define what you mean by "cheap".
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 9th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    Jonesya
    Was looking at these myself but haven't bought one yet - the Nextbase 312GW was a Which Best Buy and wasn't too expensive at around the £100 mark

There's another review online with video footage to see the quality:
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/products/product-reviews/2016-05/review-nextbase-312gw-dash-camera/
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 9th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    chrisw
    Was looking at these myself but haven't bought one yet - the Nextbase 312GW was a Which Best Buy and wasn't too expensive at around the £100 mark

There's another review online with video footage to see the quality:
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/products/product-reviews/2016-05/review-nextbase-312gw-dash-camera/
    Originally posted by Jonesya
    I've got this one - no problems at all. You can also turn off the logo on screen unlike the 512gw mentioned above. Only slight downside is that it fits nicely behind the mirror, but the silver badging on the front makes it stand out a bit. At least it's easily removable.
    • smartmartin
    • By smartmartin 12th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    smartmartin
    Viofo A119 is a great choice imho
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 12th Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 3,927 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    My recommendation would be - don't get one. Seems they cause nothing but arguments : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5725719
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 10,142 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Viofo A119 is a great choice imho
    Originally posted by smartmartin
    This is the one I use and would definitely recommend it.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 17th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hi All

Sorry I haven't been back to update the thread but I thought I'd post to say that I went for a nextbase 512GW.

Son was involved in an accident recently & was lucky that the other driver admitted fault straight away but having been in an accident myself where I was told immediately that they would be denying liability (even though they reversed into me!) he knew that there are drviers out there that aren't as honest.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,672Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin