Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Morata_
    • By Morata_ 9th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Morata_
    Awkward moment...
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    Awkward moment... 9th Oct 17 at 9:30 AM
    Went to measure up on our property having agreed a price etc. Before now, id been offered tea or coffee when I came to view, this time...

Abrupt, rude, moaned about price we had got the property for...

...I swiftly reminded her, no one forced you to accept and I've not done it as a favour...then left!!

Haha. Bizarre and caught me slightly off guard! I also have a satisfied feeling I've negotiated well, but is this common practice??
Page 2
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 10th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Tiners
    I'm going to hazard a guess that you don't know the full story on that one.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I do wonder that but I'm pretty confident that was the full story, my dad was as puzzled and bemused as anyone. The vendors were rather odd... carpet on the garage floor, tv covered with tea towel when not in use and showing me and my sister (aged 15 & 14) the ''magic fairy lights'' when we went along for the second viewing. (the magic fairy lights were just car headlights going over a hill in the distance)
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 5,532 Posts
    • 5,223 Thanks
    eddddy
    ... the vendor told him ''we've decided not to sell and even if were we wouldn't sell to you if you were the last people on earth'' !!!
    Originally posted by Tiners
    I'm going to hazard a guess that you don't know the full story on that one.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Actually, I know a few people who deal with guilt like that.

They feel guilty because they're going to shaft someone, so make it easier for themselves by convincing themselves that the 'victim' is a terrible person.

i.e. "It's not my fault I'm shafting you, it's your fault, because you're such a bad person"
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 10th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    hammy1988
    You've mentioned the term 'before now I've been offered tea and coffee'...Yikes...how many times have you visited?? No wonder shes sounding a bit miffed!

Have you exchanged yet? Being allowed to measure up for curtains before exchanging is a NICE courtesy bestowed by the vendor, just because you are buying it doesn't mean she has to bend the knee.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 10th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You've mentioned the term 'before now I've been offered tea and coffee'...Yikes...how many times have you visited?? No wonder shes sounding a bit miffed!

Have you exchanged yet? Being allowed to measure up for curtains before exchanging is a NICE courtesy bestowed by the vendor, just because you are buying it doesn't mean she has to bend the knee.
    Originally posted by hammy1988

Pardon?? Dropping the price will be fine thank you.....
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 10th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    hammy1988
    I watch too much Game of Thrones it seems...
    • gax23
    • By gax23 10th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    gax23
    Cognitive dissonance. Wonderful thing.
    • gax23
    • By gax23 10th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    gax23
    Whoops. That was meant to be a reply to eddddy. Bloomin’ phone won’t let me edit it.
    • john_white
    • By john_white 10th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    john_white
    Vendors can be funny folks... I remember back in the late 80's my parents found their dream house, although it was very dated and a not very competitively priced they still offered full asking price straight off the bat as they were so keen on it.

With the offer accepted they got the ball rolling with searches and surveys etc but everything seemed to go very quiet and no progress appeared to be getting made and they couldn't get any answers out of the EA or solicitors as to the reason for the delay.

My dad then bumped into the vendors in the garden centre and very politely asked them if they knew why nothing seemed to be progressing... the vendor told him ''we've decided not to sell and even if were we wouldn't sell to you if you were the last people on earth'' !!!
    Originally posted by Tiners

Factually correct. If your parents were the last people on earth then the vendors would be dead and therefore unable to sell their property.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,326Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter