Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • granola
    • By granola 9th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    granola
    Error in penalty notice
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    Error in penalty notice 9th Oct 17 at 9:12 AM
    I have had a letter from a debt collection agency about an alleged parking contravention. It asks me to contact them if the information is wrong. It is. No supporting correspondence from their parking company client exists for the information on their letter, either.

Are they fishing? Should I correct their information? What happens if I do? Am I able to appeal/complain under Protection of Freedoms Act?

Has anyone encountered this before?
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 80,737 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES. This explains the whole unregulated process, and why it is safe to ignore debt collectors.

It is often thought that parking scammers deliberately put in false information in the hope people will stupidly call them and give away the driver's identity. Don't tell him Pike!

Only ever refer to The Keeper and The Driver.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 7,659 Posts
    • 7,745 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    Post Four of the Newbies Sticky covers debt collectors in their entirety. Please read that.

Yes, "errors" on tickets are surprisingly common - One school of thought is that PPC's do this in order to persuade victims to contact them to "correct" the info - and inadvertently, reveal the driver and give them for free the personal details they would otherwise pay for from the DVLA.

Another school of thought is that they are just utter muppets who couldn't get it right if they wanted to - not that a PPC cares one way to the other TBH.

The rest of the Newbies Thread will bring you up to speed on the vultures.
    Last edited by pogofish; 09-10-2017 at 9:54 AM.
    • granola
    • By granola 9th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    granola
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    Thanks
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    Thanks all. I have read the Newbie several times and always find something new, so grateful for fresh pointers and the gentle reminders.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

646Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin