Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • granola
    • By granola 9th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 7Thanks
    granola
    Error in penalty notice
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    Error in penalty notice 9th Oct 17 at 9:12 AM
    I have had a letter from a debt collection agency about an alleged parking contravention. It asks me to contact them if the information is wrong. It is. No supporting correspondence from their parking company client exists for the information on their letter, either.

Are they fishing? Should I correct their information? What happens if I do? Am I able to appeal/complain under Protection of Freedoms Act?

Has anyone encountered this before?
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 40,520 Posts
    • 80,917 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES. This explains the whole unregulated process, and why it is safe to ignore debt collectors.

It is often thought that parking scammers deliberately put in false information in the hope people will stupidly call them and give away the driver's identity. Don't tell him Pike!

Only ever refer to The Keeper and The Driver.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 7,932 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    Post Four of the Newbies Sticky covers debt collectors in their entirety. Please read that.

Yes, "errors" on tickets are surprisingly common - One school of thought is that PPC's do this in order to persuade victims to contact them to "correct" the info - and inadvertently, reveal the driver and give them for free the personal details they would otherwise pay for from the DVLA.

Another school of thought is that they are just utter muppets who couldn't get it right if they wanted to - not that a PPC cares one way to the other TBH.

The rest of the Newbies Thread will bring you up to speed on the vultures.
    Last edited by pogofish; 09-10-2017 at 9:54 AM.
    • granola
    • By granola 9th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    Thanks
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    Thanks all. I have read the Newbie several times and always find something new, so grateful for fresh pointers and the gentle reminders.
    • granola
    • By granola 22nd Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    Do debt collectors buy up PCNs?
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    I originated this thread.

I appealed a parking charge notice from a PC a month ago. I checked with the driver, and it seems there was an unwitting contravention, mainly due to poor signage, but with enough responses to make an appeal worth starting.

About two weeks later the DC letter arrived alleging a contravention at the same car park, same car, but three weeks earlier and with a parking charge number I didn't recognise. The car was never in the car park then. As suggested, I re-read the NEWBIE post, particularly about DCs, and did not get in touch.

Is it usual for a debt collection agency to demand payment on behalf of their parking company client if an appeal procedure is in progress?

Do DCs buy the alleged charges and try their luck, or was it just bad paperwork at the DC and PC or bad number plate recognition?

As an aside, the parking company have just turned down my appeal and offers POPLA. Other than saying it was from the Appeals Department, it was unsigned. Should it have been?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 22nd Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 7,738 Posts
    • 8,005 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    Is it usual for a debt collection agency to demand payment on behalf of their parking company client if an appeal procedure is in progress?

quite often , however you say you appealed a later ticket

Do DCs buy the alleged charges and try their luck,

only in very rare occasions

or was it just bad paperwork at the DC and PC or bad number plate recognition?

As an aside, the parking company have just turned down my appeal and offers POPLA. Other than saying it was from the Appeals Department, it was unsigned. Should it have been?

YES , who was the parking Co
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 51,767 Posts
    • 65,410 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    If that was the first letter, the NEWBIES thread tells you to appeal. The first letter (even from PCS/ZZPS) is the NTK.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• granola
    • By granola 23rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    • 23rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    Pc
    • 23rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    Britannia Parking, in both cases. Who should I run a POPLA appeal letter past?
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 23rd Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 2,917 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 23rd Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 23rd Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    the forum 'grandees'

Ralph
    • granola
    • By granola 24th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    Pappa Golf's reply suggests the lack of signature on the PC letter turning down my appeal to them is significant in my appeal to POPLA. How so, please?

I have considerable content for the appeal from around the forum which I am editing together and will ask for comment on later. For that, I am very grateful to everyone.
    • granola
    • By granola 28th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    Keeper v registered keeper
    Could someone point me to a thread which explains the difference between keeper and registered keeper (discovered in one of the NEWBIE threads?) I'll have another look at the Protection of Freedoms notes again meanwhile.
    • granola
    • By granola 30th Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    First POPLA appeal
    I have a BP/POPLA appeal in the offing. They sent me an unsigned form alleging parking contravention, I refused to name the driver (not me), they turned down my appeal in a poorly edited and unsigned letter clearly not read before dispatch, and gave me a POPLA code. What makes their NTKs refutable?

I have drafted a POPLA appeal based on winning submissions and would like comment from what another poster described as forum "grandees. How do I do that?
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 30th Oct 17, 8:53 AM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    fisherjim
    How about telling the regulars who the scammers were, and posting a redacted copy of your POPLA submission here on your thread?
    • granola
    • By granola 30th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    As a NEWBIE, how should I do that? Separate thread and hope they pick up?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 30th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    No, one case, one thread. You post your POPLA appeal HERE and we all get a chance to look at it

You dont need a thread to explain keeper vs RK

RK - the person named to the DVLA as being the RK
    Keeper - the person in day to day charge of the vehicle. Presumed (in POFA) to be the RK unless proved otherwise
    Driver - the person who actually drove on any single occasion
    Owner - may be the RK, may be the Keeper, may be the driver, or may be someone else entirely.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 30th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 7,422 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    The Deep
    it seems there was an unwitting contravention, mainly due to poor signage, but with enough responses to make an appeal worth starting.

The T&C are written in a manner to encourage contraventions. The whole process is a scam, even if they, or their low rent solicitors take you to court they try to claim for stuff which is not allowed.

Unfortunately the industry is not controlled and most of the stuff they get up to, although at the very fringes of legality, is not criminal.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 30th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 15,927 Posts
    • 24,704 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    How about telling the regulars who the scammers were, and posting a redacted copy of your POPLA submission here on your thread?
    Originally posted by fisherjim
    The poster already has a thread open on this and has been posting on another OP’s thread. Until all his/her posts are consolidated in the one original thread I don’t think any ‘grandee’ will have the time to be flitting from pillar to post trying to make sense of it all.

@granola - please PM Board Guides Crabman or soolin and ask them to consolidate all your posts into your original first thread, then you have a much better chance of getting some help.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • granola
    • By granola 30th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    Thanks both. I will have another look at adding a NTK appeal in the light of who is what (nosferatu1). The rest of the draft appeal is ready for your consideration. After reading and rereading all the pc stuff - and a naive letter from their appeals people - I couldn't see how I could appeal it on that point, but perhaps now can. The NTK was a form with pic of the vehicle and the right times, etc. pappa golf above suggests it might work against the pc if their turned down letter is not signed. Any views on that?
    • granola
    • By granola 30th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    granola
    That makes sense. You are aware that I am new to these forums and have little idea of what I am doing. I have just read about them, and will try to find them.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 30th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 15,927 Posts
    • 24,704 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    pappa golf above suggests it might work against the pc if their turned down letter is not signed. Any views on that?
    Whistling in the wind. Totally irrelevant in the context of a POPLA appeal.

Have you sent a PM to Crabman or soolin yet?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,074Posts Today

6,733Users online

Martin's Twitter