Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • S1984
    • By S1984 9th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    S1984
    Missed a DMP payment
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    Missed a DMP payment 9th Oct 17 at 8:25 AM
    Been on DMP for 6 months

All going well. Have an issue this month and struggling to juggle things and can't make the payment

Will this ruin my DMP? Few factors have resulted in this but I am at the point where I can't pay it

Lost as to what to do its due tomorrow
Page 1
    • S1984
    • By S1984 9th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    S1984
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    I decided to email step change and not hide from the issue..explained its due to one off bills and I am comitted to getting back on track

Fingers crossed here. Its keeping me up at night
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 9th Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    They'll be OK with it, especially if it just one month.

However, have you any contingency in case it happens again?

What are your DMP payments per month? Have you got any money in your budget to cover one off costs like car problems, exploding cookers, cats or children? I always recommend saving an emergency fund BEFORE your first DMP payment but that's a little late here, sorry.

It may be worth having a review of your DMP so you don't need to do this again.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 12,178 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    I decided to email step change and not hide from the issue..explained its due to one off bills and I am committed to getting back on track

Fingers crossed here. Its keeping me up at night
    Originally posted by S1984
    Its good you have got in touch with them.

They are used to things like this cropping up, your arrangement will not end because of one missed payment.

We English tend to be a nation of worriers, we worry what creditors may think when we miss payments, then we worry what charities think, when we cant pay them, we should take the continental approach, or better still, what my olde grandad, born and bred in Yorkshire, used to say............ "It`ll be rite lad".
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there, and delete spam.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 9th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    I agree you did the right thing and its unlikely to derail the DMP. Ensure you cancel the direct debit ( if that's how you pay it) to avoid charges.
    Try to put a small sum by each month for emergencies. Even £10 a month. If you find its really not sustainable tell them. The idea is to pay the debt back at an affordable rate, not for you to struggle or keep breaking the arrangement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin