Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 21,166Posts
    • 10,147Thanks
    lisyloo
    Heathrow - walk from bus station to heathrow express
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    Heathrow - walk from bus station to heathrow express 9th Oct 17 at 7:53 AM
    Can anyone advise.
    We are advised not to travel on great western trains next weekend due to emergency works. They have advised not travelling at all which is not terribly helpful as we have plans/commitments.
    Looking at getting a coach to Heathrow (national express) and then Heathrow express.
    Have seen that both are at the central bus station (level 0 and level 2) but on the interactive map they were separate buildings and not connected, so looked like it could mean going to terminal 2 ??
    Does anyone know how we get between the two and roughly how long it take in walking terms.

We are just trying to work out the best route between replacement rail buses (think we have to go Chippenham to Didcot, Didcot to slough and Slough To Paddington), coach or this option, partner also has a new ankle injury.

Cheers
Page 1
    • The all new me
    • By The all new me 9th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    The all new me
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    The bus is free.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 7,638 Posts
    • 7,701 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    IIRC they are more or less across the road from each other - its not like you are going to have to walk very far..!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 9th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7,192 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    martindow
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    How about Cheltenham to Swindon, Swindon to Oxford, Oxford to Marylebone? This is two changes but it involves no buses.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 21,166 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    The bus is free.
    Originally posted by The all new me

Thanks, but I'm asking about the time. Cost is secondary.
    Are you saying we need to get a bus from one to the other?
    Last edited by lisyloo; 09-10-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 21,166 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    IIRC they are more or less across the road from each other - its not like you are going to have to walk very far..!
    Originally posted by pogofish

I agree yhey look very close on the map, but I can't see any pedestrian walk ways between them. It could be quite far and take time if it means going to one of the terminals and getting a bus.
    Doesn't matter if they are close if there are barriers and fences that we can't physically get across.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 21,166 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    How about Cheltenham to Swindon, Swindon to Oxford, Oxford to Marylebone? This is two changes but it involves no buses.
    Originally posted by martindow

Thanks for the suggestion (I think it's Chippenham -> Didcot -> OXford -> Marylebone).

Two changes (which involves risk as one is 8 mins) and takes 2.5 hours.
    The coach + heathrow express is one change and should be around 2 hours.

Thanks all but still keen to know about the xfer at Heathrow.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    I can confirm that there is an underground walkway between the Central bus station and terminal 2 at Heathrow. I guess that it would take 5 minutes max, 10 if you had a lot of luggage and/or small children. Have done it many times.

Getting to LHR?..... God knows!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 21,166 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    Thanks for the info.

The national express coach is 90 mins and it's mostly motorway to LHR, so obviously no guarantees, but much more reliable for traffic than the coach to London Victoria that goes through central London.

Personally I think this is a good choice as the heathrow express is every 15 mins whereas the trains on sundays are less regular if we miss a connection.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 09-10-2017 at 5:30 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 10th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 21,166 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Thanks everyone.
    We are going to get the coach and the Heathrow express, because of the relatively short journey time plus the lack of any specific timed connection.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 21,166 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Arggghhh - gwr have just offered that we can travel anytime on Monday which means we could have gone first class on Monday morning, however we now have the non-refundable coach & heathrow express tickets booked. Annoying that they can't plan this better.

Never mind, thanks again for the help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

2,903Users online

Martin's Twitter