Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 6,544Posts
    • 37,655Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th October?
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th October? 9th Oct 17 at 7:22 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2 October
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 12/15 CC saved £2372.50
Page 1
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 6,544 Posts
    • 37,655 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    Morning another 5 minutes and I'll start getting madam ready day off today I do enjoy having Monday's off

Things for today:

* going to walk to the lottie and do some more digging/prepping for winter
    * need to do some cleaning/tidying
    * bake a red velvet cake
    * while oven is on will do a batched of roasted beetroot
    * make chard, barley & lentil soup
    * check meal plan Shepherdsless pie. Will use some squash with potatoes for mash to make a start on the 9 beasts of squashes I've harvested (and I've given 2 away!)
    * go through fridge and make sure anything needing to be used is used!
    * check bank accounts and straighten up
    * make time to listen to audio book/read book/knit
    * photo and list a few things on flaebay
    * check onepoll
    * prep stuff for work/school tomorrow

That'll do! Hope you all have a lovely day x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 09-10-2017 at 3:59 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • BearPearSun
    • By BearPearSun 9th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    BearPearSun
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    Thankyou for starting the thread, I'm new and have been eagerly awaiting it to pop up!

I'm aiming to start off with the basics and then add new habits in each week.

This week I will:

Make all meals from my meal plan
    Be conscious with turning electrics off
    Remind husband every day that we have no money!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else sets themselves!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 6,544 Posts
    • 37,655 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    Thankyou for starting the thread, I'm new and have been eagerly awaiting it to pop up!

Remind husband every day that we have no money!
    Originally posted by BearPearSun

Hi BearPearSun just thinking if I did that with my oh we'd be in row territory before the week was out. Have you thought about allowing some "pocket money" each so when he spends his it's gone and and the realisation that he has no money left is his own? And therefore no resentment coming you way!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 9th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 12,733 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    Morning thanks for the start determined wfh so at least I don’t he’s to fight the commute, need to get ahead as I’m off next week and don’t want to be working until late on Friday to get everything done I need to. Today’s things:
    Packed lunch for dd made
    Tea from planner/stores
    Seller coming to pick up something from fleabay, one emptied, one to go
    Package up a couple more things that buyers have now paid and walk to post office
    Make a cake - might investigate red velvet, not made on before, sounds lovely determined
    Lots of work
    Some sort of exercise later
    Have a look at a few activities we want to do next week. Work out best ways to stay frugal with them
    Check banking and updated sheet.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Oct 17, 8:16 AM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 34,912 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:16 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:16 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for starting us off DNMS
    Welcome BearPearSun
    I have an appointment at a hospital about an hour's drive away this afternoon, so realistically this is going to limit what is possible today - but I will:
    Take some items to my sales unit
    Pop into Iceland while out, with some shopping vouchers from RM surveys and get the few bits I need - if I use vouchers it doesn't count, right? My brother is still here, and he has a big appetite, meaning we get through twice as much bread etc as usual On second thoughts, I will look to see if there is any white bread flour in the larder, in which case I could make a quick loaf in the BM (I don't have time for the 5 hour programme for the seeded flour I usually use). Hmm...
    Dinner will be sausage casserole already made, with jacket potatoes, which will be easy to prepare when I get back from the hospital
    Check banks and check for surveys later - still waiting for that elusive 5p from Onepoll
    NSDs for October 8/15

• Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 9th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    Good morning everyone. I will try and keep on top of this post this week, I always start with good intentions but 1/2 way through the week I get distracted. At least I am still being good and sticking to budgets etc.

Today I have packed lunch for work as well as taking empty travel cup for my instant coffees. Still find it strange that we don't have facilities in our office to make hot drinks, it's either really horrible free coffee from the vending machine (I'm no coffee snob but they are discusting) or we have to pay in the cafe or restaurant. So I bring in my travel mug and some Nescaf! sachets as we at least have boiling water.

Off to the shops after work to pick up a few birthday and Christmas presents, all budgeted for and researched to make sure I'm not paying more than I should.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current debt £5,800 at 0%
    Current savings £3,800
    • baggybreeches
    • By baggybreeches 9th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    baggybreeches
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    Morning all!
    Had a nice little jaunt to Somerset for a meeting over the weekend.
    This week I have started with £113 sold on fleabay, with another £60ish worth which should sell.
    Still trying to eat out of the freezer as mcuh as possible and I am back on plan with my slimming world diet even though I can't afford to attend group at the moment ( the group leader has kindly let me stay in the online group on Fb).
    Going to try for 2 NSD this week and hopefully I should hear back from a couple of PDLs regarding refunds on loans.
    Also quite a big thing I am going to do today is to speak to my mortgage company about a product transfer to a cheaper rate, even though my rating is poor they should do the transfer as an existing customer.
    Have a great week everyone.
    *just checked my online banking and I have a £115.77 refund from a PDL*
    Last edited by baggybreeches; 09-10-2017 at 9:07 AM. Reason: Good news
    • arc2014
    • By arc2014 9th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    arc2014
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    Morning all, sorry I went MIA again last week, but we've been given notice on our house and have to be out by the end of November! They've royally messed us around from day 1, so the sooner we're out the better! DH is already arranging viewings for some cheaper (Smaller! ) houses hopefully for this week so we should know where we stand. Just as I thought we were finally settled!

Now on to the DFW stuff!

- Pack up for everyone! Think poor DD is getting fed up of ham sandwiches everyday, but she isn't complaining so I just keep providing! I have soup that my mum gave me and DH has soup from home.
    - Weekly shopping after work - STICK TO THE LIST!
    - Washing to be hung out, it's quite windy so hopefully will blow dry!
    - Showered last night so I didn't have to dry my hair
    - Brought coffee from home this morning
    - Sort some things from the house to put on eBay, the perks of downsizing is I have a lot to sell now - we're even looking at selling the sofa!! We're lucky to have a VERY big living room at the minute, but our 3 & 4 seaters wouldn't fit in any other living room I don't think!

That will do for today - hopefully some good news will come my way soon from one of the PDLs I've complained to!

Happy Monday everyone!
    Logbook Loan 170.42/1000 · DC1 45/1420.32 · DC2 30/321.13 · DC3 11.75/11.75 · DC4 40/635 · Personal Loan 426.74/4800 · Overdraft 0/1200

Lightbulb Moment September 2017 - DFD Christmas 2018!

October NSDs 11/15 · £10 a day challenge £250.31/£500
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 6,544 Posts
    • 37,655 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning all!
    Had a nice little jaunt to Somerset for a meeting over the weekend.
    This week I have started with £113 sold on fleabay, with another £60ish worth which should sell.

Going to try for 2 NSD this week and hopefully I should hear back from a couple of PDLs regarding refunds on loans.

*just checked my online banking and I have a £115.77 refund from a PDL*
    Originally posted by baggybreeches
    Nice on the sales & the PDL refund

I'm going to go hardcore this week and try for 5 NSDs probably completely unrealistic but I'll aim for it. Will need milk towards the end of the week, but if I get nothing else I have excluded milk from SFD rules as madam drinks it by the gallon full! Don't think I need anything else

Just did banking & transfers, transferred £200 into long term savings. This is a bit of a stretch target for the month seeing as this is 1/4 of my income and had to get a WM last week. I figure I can always transfer some back if an emergency arises

Have worked out I still have £100 left of personal spends and I'm at the half way point between pay days have 1/2 term to contend with but will do 1 paid activity and the rest free or things we have membership cards for so easily doable
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 6,544 Posts
    • 37,655 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Foxgloves I've been meaning to ask. How did your squashes go? Did you harvest any?
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 9th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 877 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    Morning guys ..
    Thanks DNMS ..

so I am being proper good and starting right lol
    ive made a big batch of soup with some rather ropy looking veg which should last the week for lunches or a few dinners for me if im pushed.
    plan this week is

check banking and keep up to date as at the minute all DD come out at different times and pay goes in different days.
    I have loads of ebay stuff finishing over the next couple of days starting tonight so should keep me busy .. I also have stuff to list but it might need ironing first .. I hate ironing
    between my 2 jobs I am working pretty much every day and night with a couple of extra shifts thrown in ... like I said I am bloomin determined lol
    yesterday was a mega bake day and I have found a new winner and its mega cheap .. cornflake tart .. mmmm it was a good all round hit and was only really to use up some bits and pieces that had been lying around

I think that it for now .. have a cracking week everyone

Lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!
    Oct /£300 3NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895 Oct £483.77
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 8,941 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Only 3 more days until I'm off work. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

It also will mark the start of my Saturdays off. I'm really looking forward to this too.

OH got very keen yesterday and sorted a load of paperwork and carp out in his room. This meant that a load of recycling is gone, some more cs stuff to go and I can now put my dressmaking dummy into the bottom of his wardrobe and free up some space!

Today's mission:
    • Meals from plan
    • Log cals in free app
    • Prep tomorrow's tea/lunch
    • Gym at lunch time - done
    • Check how much this month's gym fee will be to look out for overpayment!
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Ring taxi company to book airport run - done
    • Sort some more bits out at home. Still tidying. I want to relocate some jars of marmelade
    • Ring mother in law to placate her after I suggested that cassette tapes that she couldn't play weren't really a sentimental memory (I am transferring the contents to CD!). She wants to keep the tapes to look at them because the CD isn't the original format?!
    • Crochet - realised that I'd done 3 rows in the wrong colour. Decided that I cba to frog it. then did ANOTHER row in the wrong colour! did frog that one though.
    • No drinkies.
    • See if FB buyer comes for item (not the blimmin spanner man)
    Will add some as I go

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 09-10-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 9th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,886 Posts
    • 19,229 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all!

It's still my weekend today (having worked Saturday) and next batch of cards doesn't arrive until tomorrow to more cleaning and tidying for me! I'm going to:

Pull out a humongous weed and cut back some of the rambling roses in the front garde. I keep tentatively trimming them but when I compare how it looked in the estate agents pics the previous owners cut them back hard and it's done them no harm.

I have a buyer collecting a FB sale at lunch time.

I will attempt to put some clothes away but I'm not making any promises :d

I'm going to use my FB money to collect some hand carved ham to take to my mums and we'll have that with egg and chips for tea. I have a YS finest spag Bol in the freezer that DS keeps turning his nose up at but I know he'll enjoy it if I cook it and present it with lots of cheese on top so he can have that.

DS has done his Christmas wish list on Amazon so I'm going to redouble my efforts on JobSpotter as I already have enough to pay for one and it would be great to be able to get a couple more things for 'free'.

Have a good day and hello new person and welcome back absentees!
    Make £10 a day in October £224.01/£310 (September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 9th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 5,219 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

Thanks for the start Dnms.
    Lovely reading everybody's news this morning and great to see new posters, its a lovely thread and keeps me on the straight and narrow!

Todays list from me
    * Ys bread for kids breakfast
    * Gym session done and refilled water bottles whilst there
    * Brunch for me at home, 1 sausage in an omelette with some spinach
    * Tidied the garage a bit as my dad was going to the tip and had some space, our tip has a shop for still useable items so have sent over an old kids cycle helmet, a drawer unit & 2 large picture frames - will continue tidying in there over the next few days as he's going to do a few more tip runs getting rid of fridges & freezers from tenants house
    * Check banking/update spreadsheet
    * Record mileage
    * Make families lunches for tomorrow
    * Prep RM survey items Was able to use a free stamp for rm surveys to post a letter for ds2
    * Prep salad for the kids tea to go with leftover quiche
    * We are going to have the 2nd pasta bake (and kids will have the leftovers of this for their tea tomorrow) We'll have to have the left overs tomorrow as I've added some mushrooms from the back of the fridge and the kids don't like them! )
    * Plan mine & dh's tea for tomorrow
    * Update freezer list & use up box list
    * Hoover round only where needed
    * Washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash and its now out on the line

That's enough of a start, have a good week all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 09-10-2017 at 3:47 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 18,050 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi DNMS,
    Re squashes.....3 plants reached maturity. 2 of them had one big squash each (& one of those is a whopper!) & the 3rd plant did set several fruit but they all rotted off at an early stage so I pulled that one up & composted it. I rarely have any luck with the bigger squashes or pumpkins......that"s why I stick to courgettes & scallopini, so I was pleased to harvest 2 really good ones.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £289
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 18,050 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Monday Savers,
    Unexpected visit from a friend this morning so am a bit behind with my list but nice to have a catch-up & a coffee.
    *Big load of laundry done overnight on timer to make use of half price tariff. Still had 40 mins of cheap tariff left after that so did a quick 30 min cycle which shifted another load at the cheaper rate.
    *All pegged out on the line. Will need heated airer to finish them off but no need to run it all day.
    *Made a loaf...it's just in the oven now.
    *Rounded up another 6lbs pears from our very generous tree & turned them into another batch of pear chutney. Ready for bottling as soon as I've finished my coffee.
    *Home made golden lentil soup & fresh bread tonight. V cheap soup recipe & so filling.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    That's all the money saving bits. Lots more other stuff on the list too so beyter crack on.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £289
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 6,544 Posts
    • 37,655 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi DNMS,
    Re squashes.....3 plants reached maturity. 2 of them had one big squash each (& one of those is a whopper!) & the 3rd plant did set several fruit but they all rotted off at an early stage so I pulled that one up & composted it. I rarely have any luck with the bigger squashes or pumpkins......that"s why I stick to courgettes & scallopini, so I was pleased to harvest 2 really good ones.
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    might be to do with your soil? I planted mine on my no dig bed which had 6 inches of manure laid over it and was covered with membraine.

I had 2 plants of one variety (a bit like a rugby ball shape - these are my faves. Are they what you had?) and got 6 and 1 of another variety and got 5 of the pumpkin shape squashes
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 6,544 Posts
    • 37,655 Thanks
    determined new ms
    just popped in to say I made this earlier:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/barley-and-lentil-soup-with-swiss-chard-231578

for those of you with chard, I've got to say this is just a wonderful soup! I chopped the stems off of the chard, sliced them and fried with the onions. I also added lemon juice and a bit of chilli as per the comments. I can't wait for dinner!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 9th Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Afternoon, everyone. Hope you're all having a good day.

Is anyone good with hanging baskets? Ours were fab during the summer (mainly fuchsias and petunias -and the odd MS tomato plant, too) and still going strong but I'm looking for ideas of what to do with them over winter. Anyone have any experience? Would love to get them filled with something useful for the winter and spring.

Today I will/have:
    *check accounts done
    *bit of filing and some email replies to do done
    *check some work expenses to see if they have been added to my payslip
    *item to list on eBay/FB done
    *meals from stores done. OH has been food shopping while I've been away
    *payment to emergency fund
    *three loads of washing done
    *work, work, work! Seriously - do this!

Have a nice afternoon,
    US
    Last edited by uphillstruggler; 10-10-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Emergencies account: £200/500 CC (20/10/17): £652.50
    Groceries Oct 2017: EUR99.12/150 NSD Oct 2017: 9/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,818Posts Today

10,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin