Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,836Posts
    • 38,297Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 9th October 2017
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 9th October 2017 9th Oct 17 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 9th October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit - will wake him shortly.

Yesterday the weather here didn't look very good early on, but then got out to be quite a decent day with some warm sunshine, the heating didn't come on and it wasn't cold at all in the house. Forecast looks dull and mild for most of this week, we'll see.

Yesterday first thing we went and collected DH's glasses, all good, so at least that's sorted - that's been a nightmare that's finished up taking nearly 3 months to get new glasses. He's also feeling so much better - hence why he's returned to the normal moaning grumpy git mode.

Lunch yesterday was roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, cauli/broc cheese, peas, yorkshires and gravy - DH moaned about the meat - I just didn't say anything, can't be bothered getting into an argument with him. I chose that cut of pork because all the menfolk want crackling and you don't get crackling on some of the other cuts. If and when I bother to cook roast again I'll be buying a loin joint that has no chance of getting a crackling coating on it and at least then he won't be able to moan about the meat. DS2 wanted to help in the kitchen yesterday so he was in charge of peeling potatoes and carrots - he just took ages and I had to be patient - not easy when you've always done it on your own and can get the job done reasonably quickly and efficiently and the kitchen is not really big enough for more than 1 person. He wants to learn so I'll help him.

Back to work today - hoping it won't be such a manic Monday as last week, at least it makes the day fly by, hairdresser is coming tonight instead of tomorrow. We'll be having fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 09-10-2017 at 6:40 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 15,365 Posts
    • 125,176 Thanks
    JackieO
    Gers although I get stuff for my grandchildren and DDs, and son-in-laws my friends and I will go out for a meal on birthdays or at Christmas instead of loading each other up with more blooming 'smelly sets'

I have a special shower stuff that I get on prescription for my clapped out skin and I can't use anything else, so bath salts (I don't own a bath only a walk-in shower )and shower gels/creams are useless for me They usually, if I get any, end up at the local homeless shelter.

I do get books from my nearest and dearest though and they always ask me what books I would like and I tell them a few and my eldest especially always makes sure I get at least one or two off the list There is honestly very little I want or need at my age and I'd rather go out and have a good lunch or dinner with lots of nattering than a box of 'bath stuff 'I am intrigued about the 'Echo Gadget' though

Well book club this morning, and it was combined with a McMillan appeal so lots of nice cakes and coffee as well.

Just awaiting the boys coming in from school and DGS Henry will make me a nice cuppa (he does make a really good one )

Weather is bright,dry and not too cold at least . tonight I will be doing a spot of ironing (not a lot ) and knitting (a good deal more ) Hope everyone has had a good Monday and the sun shone down on your washing

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 4,152 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Babs it was me and this is the daily thread. Don't worry about being confused, you'll fit right in as we all seem that way sometimes . Well I do anyway .
    Well the Ar*os problems got worse yesterday as the toys I was hoping to order and collect today were both OOS in store by the time I finally got round to it . However they were available for home delivery so will be here tomorrow. Phew! Poor DGD I thought she would have nothing she wanted for either her birthday or Christmas at this rate .
    Anyway we have been to town this morning and I have bought her a few more things, she seems to be easier than DGS this year as she loves crafting of any sort and Unicorns. I have decided to make her a hamper full of unicorn stuff as part of her Christmas present. ( Could not for the life of me remember the word "hamper" and had to ask Mr Fix It for help . I think my memory is getting worse . )
    Talking of DGD she is coming to tea tonight as DD has parents evening and her Dad and brother are going to watch Wales play football in Cardiff. So I have bought her some new colouring /activities books, although we'll probably be playing school or something. I always seem to end up being the big sister to her dolls whatever we play!
    I have made a pasta bake for tea tonight with strawberries and ice cream to follow and put the DW on. ( that's my OS bit sorted )
    Off now to have a quiet cuppa before the whirlwind arrives about 4pm. Enjoy the rest of the day and hugs to all.
    nan
    PS. Dumpling I am glad that things are looking better for you and your family.
    Last edited by nannywindow; 09-10-2017 at 3:20 PM. Reason: To add
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    Gers
    Gers although I get stuff for my grandchildren and DDs, and son-in-laws my friends and I will go out for a meal on birthdays or at Christmas instead of loading each other up with more blooming 'smelly sets'
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Yes, I meet up with my oldest friends every year for a meal and / or comedy show. I travel down to Newcastle for this as I'm the one who moved 500 miles away. They have all been to visit me so it's only fair. We send each other daft wee presents every so often if we see something which would be liked. No need for Christmas.

I have a special shower stuff that I get on prescription for my clapped out skin and I can't use anything else, so bath salts (I don't own a bath only a walk-in shower )and shower gels/creams are useless for me They usually, if I get any, end up at the local homeless shelter.
    That's great! When I was working in England and travelling a lot I would save up all the small bathroom goodies, as did everyone else in my team, and donated them to The People's Kitchen in Newcastle. The staff held pamper evenings as well as handing out the bottles to those who came in for showers. J

I do get books from my nearest and dearest though and they always ask me what books I would like and I tell them a few and my eldest especially always makes sure I get at least one or two off the list There is honestly very little I want or need at my age and I'd rather go out and have a good lunch or dinner with lots of nattering than a box of 'bath stuff 'I am intrigued about the 'Echo Gadget' though
    Even at my age I have need of very little and am always hard pushed to say what I want for Christmas. It's so ridiculous (for me) to have to wait for one day in the year to get something or be given a present which is really unwanted. I agree it's the thought which should count, however when people gave me things without really knowing that I'd like it is such a guilt trip. I don't eat jams or chutneys or use smelly stuff as it makes my skin break out.

I'm happy in my grinch like mode.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-new-Amazon-generation-Charcoal-Fabric/dp/B06Y5ZW72J

This is the Amazon Echo gadget, it's both fascinating and useful. Others may differ, I use it loads - for music, for weather forecasts, for turning lights / plugs on and off etc. Mind you, it doesn't make the blooming tea!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 26,295 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    The House Troll has an Echo Dot Gers. Our house was built just after WWII and has concrete lintels and metal door frames, presumably in case WW III wasn't long coming. It also means I can't shout him for his meals if I'm downstairs and he's upstairs because the house is very soundproof. To help with my blood pressure control we bought a dot. It's fabulous. I no longer have to stand in the hall shouting and yelling. One of us tells Alexa to set an alarm for however many minutes when I start cooking and when the alarm goes off he appears as if by magic. The joke telling and all the other fun stuff is just a happy extra.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 9th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    dp1
    Gers - I hope someone buys me a Lego advent calendar when I'm 70....
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 15,160 Posts
    • 61,863 Thanks
    Judi
    I'd dearly love a doll's house.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,394Users online

Martin's Twitter