Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,897Posts
    • 39,329Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 9th October 2017
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 9th October 2017 9th Oct 17 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 9th October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit - will wake him shortly.

Yesterday the weather here didn't look very good early on, but then got out to be quite a decent day with some warm sunshine, the heating didn't come on and it wasn't cold at all in the house. Forecast looks dull and mild for most of this week, we'll see.

Yesterday first thing we went and collected DH's glasses, all good, so at least that's sorted - that's been a nightmare that's finished up taking nearly 3 months to get new glasses. He's also feeling so much better - hence why he's returned to the normal moaning grumpy git mode.

Lunch yesterday was roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, cauli/broc cheese, peas, yorkshires and gravy - DH moaned about the meat - I just didn't say anything, can't be bothered getting into an argument with him. I chose that cut of pork because all the menfolk want crackling and you don't get crackling on some of the other cuts. If and when I bother to cook roast again I'll be buying a loin joint that has no chance of getting a crackling coating on it and at least then he won't be able to moan about the meat. DS2 wanted to help in the kitchen yesterday so he was in charge of peeling potatoes and carrots - he just took ages and I had to be patient - not easy when you've always done it on your own and can get the job done reasonably quickly and efficiently and the kitchen is not really big enough for more than 1 person. He wants to learn so I'll help him.

Back to work today - hoping it won't be such a manic Monday as last week, at least it makes the day fly by, hairdresser is coming tonight instead of tomorrow. We'll be having fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 09-10-2017 at 6:40 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Oct 17, 6:23 AM
    • 3,586 Posts
    • 41,768 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:23 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:23 AM
    Morning All

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

I'm going swimming today, first time for 3 weeks due to the lurgy, hope I can remember how to swim!

The rain is falling, that grass will never get cut at this rate. There are mushrooms growing out there it's so wet.

Went to friends for dinner yesterday, really lovely meal and met some friends I hadn't seen for a while.

Washing up to date and house fairly tidy although the living room could do with seeing the duster at some point.

Happy Monday, take care. XX
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 9,761 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    Morning everyone

Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

Thank you to all of you that gave advice on my family situation yesterday I really appreciate it.

Well, I was near the end of the delivery run yesterday and the f/f arrived about 5.00pm so I left it overnight to settle and have just turned it on now. I’m confused though. It used to be that you turned a f/f on at the switch and turned the dial to the number recommended in the instruction manual. Not now, there seem to be all different modes, a separate temperature for the fridge and freezer and all these displays on the outside.

I’m hopeful that I will be able to move the food from the old f/f to the new one by lunchtime so that the rubbish removal man can come this afternoon to take the old one away. He will be in the area this afternoon and then not again until Friday and I would prefer it to go today, but if not it will just have to sit outside the back door for a few says, it’s not a real problem.

It was nice to see the sun yesterday for a short time, the forecast for today isn’t as good, it is for a cloudy day with some light rain intermittently, so I think I will leave the washing for today and see what it’s like tomorrow.

Dinner tonight will be whatever I did out of the freezer that looks interesting, or doesn’t have a label on. I want to use up all the unlabelled things I have come across so as not to waste them. I expect there will be a few surprises in there and a few interesting combinations will be eaten over the next couple of weeks.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Oct 17, 6:48 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 14,533 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:48 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:48 AM
    Morning all and thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

I'm about to get showered and head off to work, once I've dried my hair. I'm not going to work in the autumn with wet hair, it takes hours to dry. It is long but not particularly thick so it must be that I have extra porous hair.

Thank you for your responses about retirement. The question was partly prompted by curiosity - what is the 'norm', and partly because we have had quite a few people retire recently and without exception, all the retirees are quite a bit younger than me. I can see myself carrying on until I am too decrepit to manage any more and that worries me because I would quite like to enjoy some years of freedom, not just stagger, exhausted, through retirement. What a depressing thought. My OH's choice not to work was his alone and has had some consequences, one of which is obvious, my need to carry on. I think he is not acknowledging this as it woukd be unpalatable for him to contemplate or possibly he doesn't give a hoot.

Holly, I think you are right.

I really must get my arris in gear. Fortunately I ironed enough work clothes to see me through the week so at least I don't have to do that. I do need to buy shoes this week, otherwise I'll be working with wet feet.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 9th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 6,505 Posts
    • 90,089 Thanks
    redruby
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    Morning all

Very dark here and cold, we lit the fire last night which was really cosy and I had a load of really thick bedding to get dry I left it in the lounge on the airer overnight and its dry this morning, we are not meant to dry things in the house due to a mound problem but I thought it might be ok with the fire on.

Did not end up having the lamb casserole yesterday, we were painting dd's room till late, so we had a quick pizza, I have made up the casserole and will put in the sc before work this morning.

Got another coat to put on dd's wall so might do that tonight, I also need to put a wash on.

We get a parish magazine through the door and they have asked if anyone is taking an old kitchen out if they could donate it to the village hall as the kitchen in there is falling to bits, they are more than welcome to have ours once we take it out, in fact it will save us getting rid of it so I must ring them.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 22,616 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Bah what a rubbish night's sleep for me and I thought I would be tired out after all that toiling in the garden. Instead I am just stiff!

Yesterday was lovely with warm sunshine all day. We are hoping for the same for the next few days as we are off over to the caravan this morning for our final stay of the season. We are coming back Wednesday night in readiness for our mystery tour with DB and SIL on Thursday! We shall bring back our bedding, clothes we keep there and remains of our store cupboard supplies. DD and girls are going for half term week so we can't start closing it up until after that.

I won't need to pack a lot of food as tomorrow we are planning a day out somewhere, and will include a nice lunch! There is still some of yesterday's chicken casserole left which will do for today's lunch when we get there. I'll have freezer dive before I decide what else to take. Quick and easy stuff as I don't go to spend my time cooking!

Have a nice day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 27,452 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    Yesterday didn't quite work out how I planned it. When I went to start the garden it was raining (yet again). It doesn't look like it rained last night though so as long as it stays dry the garden gets it today! I've just put some cauli and a veg stock cube in the slow cooker for soup - I'll add some garlic cheese and whizz it with the stick blender once it's done.

Last night involved a two hour wait in the walk-in centre to get the dressing changed on my leg as the dressing that was on it was leaking. They won't let me change it at home myself so I had to go. I take my knitting with me though so my latest thing (a scarf in cheap pom pom wool from Aldi) is coming along nicely. My house is reasonably clean and tidy so I think I'll finish one of my "projects" that needs doing - a knitted jelly baby that a friend asked me to make for her son. It's finished, it just needs sewing up and filling. Time to get dressed, make the House Troll's pack up and deliver him to school.

Take care all of you.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 16,611 Thanks
    csarina2
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

I am getting my hair cut this morning, so up and ready to go .OH's lens dropped out of his glasses on Saturday, it was put back as a temporary measure so into town this morning to get it fixed. There are a couple of things I need so can kill 3 birds with one stone.

Its dry and overcast just now, I have laundry to go out when we get back from Town.

No idea whats for supper, might just do egg and bacon, will see how I feel later on.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 5,956 Posts
    • 35,493 Thanks
    Gers
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    Morning everyone.

It’s grey, dull and wet here. My grass will also remain uncut, it’s so annoying.

Yesterday was a lovely quiet day for me. It’s made such a difference having a weekend at home, I’m so much less stressed. Today I’m taking a local to the doctors for 4.15 and got a little planning to finish off.

To my surprise I’ve bought two Christmas presents! Well, almost Christmas presents, they are Lego advent calendars. I only give presents to five people and try to make them interesting or useful. Last year I hit on giving bare root roses which proved really successful but can’t do that again. One set of friends are deeply into Lego (in their 70s) so it’s perfect for them.

A friend called round yesterday with his small son. The son is fascinated by my Echo gadget so we suffered through a short series of children’s songs before banning him from it.

I sorted out a couple of techie things in the house and ended up removing the portable telephone and putting back the old fashioned corded one. No blue light or beeping noises.

I shall now start to be productive! Happy Monday to all.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 20,682 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Dull and overcast here in EA, yesterday was really quite sunny so DOH cut the grass later in the day but a high one so hopes to do again later in the week.
    My friend, who is a highly qualified instructor, is coming over this morning to give me a lesson on Lulu, need to get her schoolwork better established and helps to have a pair of eyes on the ground so to speak.
    Not sure about supper, found some YS mince yesterday so am thinking lasagna, haven't had that for ages.
    Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 13,808 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

How the devil are we?

I had a nice weekend. A relaxed weekend spent with various friends. On Friday night, I had some pals over and one smokes, so I allowed him to smoke out the window in my spare room. I decided to light a candle and sit it on the windowsill to mask the smell. During my tidying on Saturday morning, I see it had left a mark on my windowsill. So I decided to sand and re-gloss all my windowsills.

Not much else to report.

Gers - I've often thought about advent calendars as pressies but wondered if the novelty as worn off come the big day. A lego one sounds very interesting right enough.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 15,459 Posts
    • 63,812 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Good night's sleep for me. The new bed seems to have made a difference. Maybe being King size helps as we have both got loads of room to spread instead of gravitating towards the sag in the middle.

Men both at work though I'm not sure how Youngest got there as his car is still here but he's definitely gone as his packed lunch and flask has gone.

Having my floor tiles in the kitchen ripped up today. New tiles delivered mid week. The old tiles are in a shocking state. They were laid in 1973. Not looking forward to the mess but glad to be finally getting it done.

Seems like the girls in SA are taking in older children too. My daughter sent me a picture of a couple of new additions to their household last night at their bed time. I'll post it later when I'm on my pc.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • elona
    • By elona 9th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 60,551 Thanks
    elona
    Cranky

The soup sounds lovely and has reminded me to look out the soup maker and have it on the worktop now that the weather has changed.

Washing is on the line outside but might need to take it back inside before leaving for York later. There is a classic silent film being shown by U3A and I am looking forward to seeing it. Hoping to pick up a prescription on the way as I keep forgetting to pick it up and I like to be a few weeks ahead so I don't have to worry about running out.

I have a portion of home made lasagne in the fridge and a grocery delivery tomorrow morning so hope to get back to sensible eating as I have put more weight back on

hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 12,166 Posts
    • 35,668 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Quick OS break in some tedious work. Never been that good at getting on with the paperwork side of the job would much rather be doing it so of course the paper stacks up.

Friends staying this weekend so the spare bedding is in the wash again. Getting sick of the sight of it draped in the dining room. Need to do my own too but never seem to have the drape space Tempted to leave it on between guests sometimes but haven't done that yet

House needs a clean over the week and I should plan the food too. We are out for an Indian on the Saturday and probably pub lunch on Sunday so not much to plan but they are much bigger eaters than me so need 3 full meals a day Wine needs stocking up as well of course if only for me

Right must get back to the paperwork

Have a good day all x
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 22,616 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    JUDI we got a super king bed 4 years ago and it's heaven. When we go away and have to share a double bed I find myself with about 6" of bed whilst Mr TA snores away in the rest!

All packed and ready for off to the 'van - only going till Wednesday and already the car is packed with everything bar the kitchen sink as usual!
    The sky is blue and the sun is shining so hope it stays like that! Ever hopeful xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 9th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    babs 103
    Forgive me but I'm easily confused, there seems to be two threads going - one daily and one weekly I seem to remember someone (can't remember who sorry) saying you had a daily thread but not sure where to post now. sorry to be so dumb x
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 15,459 Posts
    • 63,812 Thanks
    Judi
    Forgive me but I'm easily confused, there seems to be two threads going - one daily and one weekly I seem to remember someone (can't remember who sorry) saying you had a daily thread but not sure where to post now. sorry to be so dumb x
    Originally posted by babs 103
    babs this is the daily thread, the weekly thread is more of a flylady type thread.

My daughter, her two adopted Sons and three 'rescues' last night at bed time. I dont know what else to call them.

The Baby House is now expanding.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 9th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 17,724 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

It's a dull and grey morning here but no rain yet so that's good. Steve and the girls have all gone to work/college/school so it's just me and Max enjoying the peace and quiet.

It has been very manic with lots of appointments to keep but today is better with just Becky's therapist coming over this afternoon. If it's dry they will take Max out for a walk so Becky has the chance to talk about how she is doing. She has been very happy for the past couple of weeks and is more like the girl she used to be so that's been lovely.

My new medication is brilliant for weight loss and my sugars have come right down as well. I feel a lot better and I didn't mind injecting myself either. It's only once a week and it didn't hurt one little bit. The other meds for anxiety work very well too. A bit too well as I feel quite floaty and spaced out. I will probably reduce them today and see how I get on.

I have a cottage pie in the fridge for my dinner and I will make the rest of the family pork in a honey and mustard sauce with either rice or mash. I made a couple of crumbles yesterday as well so they can finish them off too.

Glad to see that you are all chugging along. I love reading this thread every day even if I don't post. Hope you all have a brilliant day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 10,029 Posts
    • 107,737 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Not sure about supper, found some YS mince yesterday so am thinking lasagna, haven't had that for ages.
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    That's a coincidence; I was only saying to Mr LW last night that I haven't made a lasagna for ages (I make mine with Qu0rn mince, of course).
    On Friday night, I had some pals over and one smokes, so I allowed him to smoke out the window in my spare room. I decided to light a candle and sit it on the windowsill to mask the smell. During my tidying on Saturday morning, I see it had left a mark on my windowsill. So I decided to sand and re-gloss all my windowsills.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Speky if you're going to do that on a regular basis, can I suggest you get a couple of drinks coasters to put your candles on? I use candles a lot, and always stand the holder on a coaster to save marking surfaces.

I have some lovely slate coasters I've got at various times from charity shops; and even one with my name and a Triquetra symbol painted on, which was from when my former neighbour got married - she made these for each guest to show where they were to sit at the reception, and we got to keep them afterwards.

I confess I pinched the idea, and when Mr LW and I got married, each guest had an acrylic coaster with a cross-stitched insert with their name, a Triquetra and two crossed feathers.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 5,956 Posts
    • 35,493 Thanks
    Gers
    My 'client' has cancelled her drs appointment so my day is free.

Yesterday I didn't make any limp veg soup so I've just made two lots; green pea and mint and red pepper with tomato and garlic. The garlic smell is lovely.

Speky - I'm not a fan of Christmas or Christmas presents / cards. I stopped the cards about ten years ago or so and try to avoid actual Christmas presents. No longer will I tolerate bath salts, soap sets with talcum powder or such stuff. I'd rather have an afternoon tea with friends / meet up for lunch etc. It's the caring which is important for me rather than the show of presents because it's expected.

More book to read. The rain came so I'm not budging.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,942Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter