Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lacoste1985
    • By lacoste1985 9th Oct 17, 5:35 AM
    • 176Posts
    • 81Thanks
    lacoste1985
    HELP I'm new and dont know where to start....
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:35 AM
    HELP I'm new and dont know where to start.... 9th Oct 17 at 5:35 AM
    Hi, my partner and I both have debts, mainly credit cards and a fixed loan. We just seem to be stuck in a cycle of trying to shift debt round to save interest charges. What do I need to post on here to get some advice please?
Page 1
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 9th Oct 17, 5:57 AM
    • 6,172 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:57 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:57 AM
    Hi,

well done, you've made a start now.

Have a read of this whilst waiting for the experts to help.

Good luck.
    Y'all take care now.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 9th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    I would first start by posting an SOA, people can then take a look at your actual spends and give you lots of positive advice.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • savetosave
    • By savetosave 9th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    savetosave
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    Hi

You might also want to start a spending diary as well so you can track where money is going.

I have the spending tracker app on my phone which I find really useful. It's free and looks like a brown wallet.

Good luck x
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 17th Oct 17, 6:23 AM
    • 7,746 Posts
    • 18,007 Thanks
    chevalier
    • 17th Oct 17, 6:23 AM
    • 17th Oct 17, 6:23 AM
    i hope you haven't been frightened away!

The first thing you need to do is get all of your statements together for both of you and then find out the balance, the APR and the min spend. This will give you your total debt. This may be a scary and confronting thing to do but it is one of the foundations of taking control of your money.

Next people often fill in a statement of affairs. I think someone has given you the link.

you can post it on here and we can ask questions to help you focus on how you are getting into debt, or you can keep it to yourself and use it as a reference tool for cutting back.

good luck with getting started
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin