Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oceanmum
    • By oceanmum 9th Oct 17, 4:51 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    oceanmum
    Complaint about conveyancing lawyer
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:51 AM
    Complaint about conveyancing lawyer 9th Oct 17 at 4:51 AM
    In 2005 when I purchased a new build my lawyer the same one I have now did not tell me that there were issues with my title deeds and that I didn't own all the land my house is built on
    They also didn't mention it until my buyer lawyer on exchange pointed it out
    They then told me in writing I did own ur all which is incorrect
    Now I can't get possessory title to sell as I had to let my house for the last 3 years of the 12 I needed
    My life is devasted
    They also say they can't locate me old files
    I feel if I try and sue then they hold all the cards and I have no money and no where to go

Anyone managed similar
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    • 24,048 Posts
    • 66,630 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:55 AM
    You already have a thread open and as far as I am aware, you haven't been told by the Land Registry yet that you cannot have possessory title.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73235723#post73235723

You need a reply before you start saying that your life is Devastated! This is your mind catastrophising; just becuase you think something, it doesn't make it true.
    You'll be best asking that voice in your head to pipe down for the moment and breathing.

When you purchase a property, the solicitor does not visit to check the boundaries. The title plan with the boundaries is sent to you and you are asked to check it. The solicitor cannot do it for you.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 09-10-2017 at 7:06 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 42,245 Posts
    • 49,049 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    From what I understand, from this and your duplicate thread (here), part of the land that you thought you were buying was not included in the Title Plan.

As Doozergirl points out, your solicitor could not possibly have known whether the Plan accurately reflected the actual physical boundaries, since he would never have visited the site to compare the two.

That is why he would have sent you the Plan, before you exchanged contracts, and asked you to point out any errors. If you did not compare the Plan with the actual land you thought you were buying, and did not make your solicitor aware of a discrepancy, then you have no reason to complain about the lawyer.
    Last edited by G_M; 09-10-2017 at 5:46 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,057Posts Today

9,569Users online

Martin's Twitter