Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Matt929
    • By Matt929 8th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Matt929
    Plaster skim job - should i skim where tiles will go
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    Plaster skim job - should i skim where tiles will go 8th Oct 17 at 11:28 PM
    I'm due to have my bathroom skimmed in a few days (plaster is fine, but it very much needs skimming). In preparation for this i removed the old bathroom tiles as i intend to get nice new tiles in their place. The plasterer doing the job warned me that removing the old tiles could take off both skim and plaster with it and cost more. Luckily, I've only removed one small patch of plaster.

My question is, with the wall where i plan to set new tiles being mostly smooth, is it worth it to get this section of wall skimmed along with the rest of the room so that it's all smooth and the same level, or should i just get the rest of the room skimmed and have the plasterer leave this part. Part of me thinks that it's best the wall be completely level with the rest of the room so the tiles are flush with everything else, but it may not actually matter and i can get away with saving some money by not getting half a wall plastered where tiles are soon to be.

Any advice is appreciated.
Page 1
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 9th Oct 17, 12:25 AM
    • 8,835 Posts
    • 8,519 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:25 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:25 AM
    How much do you think it will actually save?

If it's only 30 minutes work and the plasterer is already there and has all the plaster it may save absolutely nothing.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    It might cost more to work around a patch!
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    • 8,958 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    missile
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    Poor preparation and prepare to fail
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Jsnb88
    • By Jsnb88 9th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jsnb88
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    probably be easier to just skim over it all then try and work around it, your plasterer probably meant it would cost extra if it fell to bits and required some bonding work to make good. Might cost you half a bag of plaster extra.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin