Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosieWonders
    • By RosieWonders 8th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RosieWonders
    Overpaid by estate executor/solicitors they want it back
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    Overpaid by estate executor/solicitors they want it back 8th Oct 17 at 10:41 PM
    Over four years ago my two young children are were fortunate beneficiaries of an estate. Yesterday, out of the blue, I received a letter saying they had overpaid my son by £5k ( now aged 11years) and me by £5.5k, totalling £10.5k, and asking me to send a cheque with payment within 14 days (!!!) They also said my daughter had been underpaid by £5k and asked me to provide details on an count they could transfer money into. This doesn't make sense as both children were equal shareholders at 10% each. It has taken them 5 years to bring this to my attention, my son can't pay this back, his money is invested, and I'm a single parent not earning a substantial amount.
    Surely this is their mistake / negligence and so they should be liable for this error i.e. the loss and we don't have to pay back ? They were executors of the will and have made the mistake. They never provided any financial explanation to explain how the error occurred , nor at the end of the estate.They seems completely incompetent, were paid to be executors, and how do i know this isn't another mistake!!
    Can someone please advise where do i stand legally? Can they take me to court if i refuse to pay it back? My son can't anyway!!
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 23,675 Posts
    • 13,800 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    http://death-duties.co.uk/content/executor-liabilities

https://www.furleypage.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Furley-Page-Executors-Liabilities.pdf

It may be that your son has a case against the executors for underpayment and that they must stand the cost of the overpayment.....?

You may need to take legal advice........
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 30,427 Posts
    • 19,235 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    If the childrens share was equal and 1 has apparently been given some extra and the other childs was £5k why was it not questioned at the time ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 3,526 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    Did they both receive the same amount when the funds were transferred? In that case, one can't possible have been underpaid and the other overpaid.

I think your first move is to get back to whoever the letter came from and ask them for a blow-by-blow account of how they have come to this conclusion.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 9th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    Yes, your first move is to write back asking for a complete breakdown of the original estate and of the revised figures.

Just that. In particular, make no mention of their ridiculous 14-day deadline (how many months did it take them to complete probate?).
    • RosieWonders
    • By RosieWonders 9th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RosieWonders
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    Thank you
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    ...that's really helpful, good point, thank you : I will take a good look at links this evening
    • RosieWonders
    • By RosieWonders 9th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RosieWonders
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    They were paid an equal, exact amount
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    ... so this makes this even more questionable?! They were literally paid same amount in two cheques, and they left me to manage its investment etc...
    • RosieWonders
    • By RosieWonders 9th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RosieWonders
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    Thank you
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    Yes they got exactly the same amount, so this makes no sense, whole thing was a total curve ball! And yes, I was thinking along the same lines : need a very detailed written breakdown of full finances, plus their decision-making-process?!

The questions remains though, even if they did make a mistake, am I , my son, liable to pay this huge sum back!?
    • RosieWonders
    • By RosieWonders 9th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RosieWonders
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    Thank you
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    .... Yes I agree completely, makes complete sense ...
    Thanks for your advice.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 9th Oct 17, 2:25 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    RG2015
    Have you considered that this may be a scam? There are often reports of solicitors having their files hacked and clients sending house purchase funds to bogus bank accounts.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 9th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    Uxb
    Yup
    I'd agree with RG2015
    This has all the hallmarks of a scam
    Do NOT use the letter's contact details to contact/write back just in case its a re-direct to the scammers.

Find the contact details from elsewhere
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

910Posts Today

5,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin