Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • biged670
    • By biged670 8th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 366Posts
    • 33Thanks
    biged670
    Balance transfer - expired card?
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    Balance transfer - expired card? 8th Oct 17 at 10:34 PM
    Hi all, is it possible to transfer a balance from a store card account where the card is actually expired?

Long story short, the debt was accrued a while back and due to 'poor account management' a new card was never offered once the previous card expired. Fast forward a couple of years and we have been offered a BT card with 0% which we would like to transfer the store card balance to, but we no longer have an actual card,only the account number, which I believe was the prev card number. Is it possible?
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 8th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    • 29,444 Posts
    • 17,228 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    Best answer to your "is it possible?" question is, er, possibly!

Who's the store card with?
    How are you paying it now?...using the 16-digit number (alongside sort code and collection account number)?...Does it even have a 16-digit number?
    Who's the 0% BT card provider?
    • biged670
    • By biged670 9th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    biged670
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    Best answer to your "is it possible?" question is, er, possibly!

Who's the store card with?
    How are you paying it now?...using the 16-digit number (alongside sort code and collection account number)?...Does it even have a 16-digit number?
    Who's the 0% BT card provider?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    The store card is with New Day. It is being paid every month with a set direct debit. The account number shown on a letter I have from them is 16 digits (I assume this to be the card number?). The new BT card would be with Virgin.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 13,622 Posts
    • 14,075 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    The account number shown on a letter I have from them is 16 digits (I assume this to be the card number?).
    Originally posted by biged670
    From what I recall, the account number isn't the card number.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    If you haven’t yet accepted the BT card, could you not try for a 0% money transfer card? Then you could transfer the money into your current account and pay the store card from there.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • biged670
    • By biged670 9th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    biged670
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    If you haven’t yet accepted the BT card, could you not try for a 0% money transfer card? Then you could transfer the money into your current account and pay the store card from there.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Thats a very good idea, I hadn't actually thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 9th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 29,444 Posts
    • 17,228 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    OP already has one...Virgin do MTs don't they? The fee may be a bit more though?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,550Posts Today

7,567Users online

Martin's Twitter