Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 8th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Jo101
    Registering a death
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    Registering a death 8th Oct 17 at 8:14 PM
    Hello, my cousin died early part of last year and had a post mortem and inquest into her death.

The coroner told us we wouldn't be able to register her death until all the tests and his enquiries had been completed. This dragged on for many many weeks due to a backlog of cases but at some stage we did receive an interim death certificate. With this interim certificate we were then able to arrange the funeral, apply for probate, sort out cousin's estate dealing with financial institutions etc, cleaned and cleared her house and garden before putting the property up for sale. Everything got sorted eventually.

I have just had a horrible thought! Should I have gone to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages to register the death? I have completely forgotton to do this due to all the problems that were going on at the time. Am I going to be in trouble for not having done this?

Please advise.
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 8th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    A death that goes to inquest is registered at the end of the process with the coroner as the informant so it will have been done already ( assuming the inquest has been held).

If you want a copy of the full death certificate contact the registration office.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    I would have thought the certificate you had was appropriate, otherwise you wouldn't have been granted Probate.
    From the Government website:....'When the inquest is over the coroner will tell the registrar what to put in the register.'.
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 8th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jo101
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    Thanks for both your replies. I really hope my forgetfulness isn't going to get me arrested or something.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 8th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    poppystar
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    Phone the Coroners office in the morning. They are usually very kind and helpful and I'm sure you won't be the first person who has had this worry.

If there is anything you need to do they will tell you not arrest you, honest
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 8th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jo101
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    Thanks poppystar, I think I might just do that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,460Posts Today

7,810Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin