Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 8th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 111Posts
    • 1,393Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Concerned over electricity usage
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    Concerned over electricity usage 8th Oct 17 at 7:21 PM
    Hello all.

I'm concerned about what is using my electricity whilst at work. I use a pre-payment meter.

I live alone in a two bedroom maisonette and when I go to work I come home and over £2 has been used each day. That may not sound a lot (?) but i'm using over £20 electricity per week including what I use in the evenings and I was speaking to a friend who spends more time in her home than I do mine and she spends £15 per fortnight! I've not even turned the heating on yet - I thought the amount I spent was normal until my friend told me her usage and then I look around the internet and it seems I am on the high side.

Aside the fridge and freezer, the only other things I can think of are the DVD Recorder recording from my Sky Box (old Sky Box, not Sky+ or HD) and the boiler that are used in the day. Bear in mind I work fairly short days - around 7 hours from me leaving in the morning to me coming home later in the day.

I'm thinking of avoiding recording on the DVD for one day to see what happens. Will it be cheaper to turn the boiler off when at work? I don't use hot water as soon as I get in but need it for my morning bath.

I know their is a standing charge of £2.01 per week, but not per day! My KwH price is £14.09 and their is no debt.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New target - lose remainder of fat and gain muscle
Page 2
    • DELLBOY
    • By DELLBOY 11th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    DELLBOY
    turn the thermostat down on the imersion maybe ,
    fit an electric shower just to heat the water going into the bath maybe .
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 6,224 Posts
    • 5,015 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    re-heated water for 45 minutes so I can wash up.
    Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    I boil the kettle to wash up. 100% of the heated water is used with none left in the pipework.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 11th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    turn the thermostat down on the imersion maybe ,
    fit an electric shower just to heat the water going into the bath maybe .
    Originally posted by DELLBOY
    Is that easy to do? I know when it was serviced in April the engineer turned it down because it was set to too hot.

I boil the kettle to wash up. 100% of the heated water is used with none left in the pipework.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I'd need a few kettles? Still cheaper I guess as kettle is 3kw but a few minutes to boil a few kettles.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017)

• CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 18th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    So, for a week I had 1 bath a day on non gym days, 2 on gym days. The rest of the time, the immersion heater was off and I boiled kettles to wash up.

I've gone from £3+ per day to an average of £1.71 per day (£11.97 for the week) so i'm saving £10ish minimum per week - that's over £40 a month.....and I don't feel any dirtier.

I like this new routine.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,931Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin