Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 8th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 1,394Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Concerned over electricity usage
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    Concerned over electricity usage 8th Oct 17 at 7:21 PM
    Hello all.

I'm concerned about what is using my electricity whilst at work. I use a pre-payment meter.

I live alone in a two bedroom maisonette and when I go to work I come home and over £2 has been used each day. That may not sound a lot (?) but i'm using over £20 electricity per week including what I use in the evenings and I was speaking to a friend who spends more time in her home than I do mine and she spends £15 per fortnight! I've not even turned the heating on yet - I thought the amount I spent was normal until my friend told me her usage and then I look around the internet and it seems I am on the high side.

Aside the fridge and freezer, the only other things I can think of are the DVD Recorder recording from my Sky Box (old Sky Box, not Sky+ or HD) and the boiler that are used in the day. Bear in mind I work fairly short days - around 7 hours from me leaving in the morning to me coming home later in the day.

I'm thinking of avoiding recording on the DVD for one day to see what happens. Will it be cheaper to turn the boiler off when at work? I don't use hot water as soon as I get in but need it for my morning bath.

I know their is a standing charge of £2.01 per week, but not per day! My KwH price is £14.09 and their is no debt.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New target - lose remainder of fat and gain muscle
Page 2
    • DELLBOY
    • By DELLBOY 11th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    DELLBOY
    turn the thermostat down on the imersion maybe ,
    fit an electric shower just to heat the water going into the bath maybe .
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 6,391 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    re-heated water for 45 minutes so I can wash up.
    Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    I boil the kettle to wash up. 100% of the heated water is used with none left in the pipework.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 11th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    turn the thermostat down on the imersion maybe ,
    fit an electric shower just to heat the water going into the bath maybe .
    Originally posted by DELLBOY
    Is that easy to do? I know when it was serviced in April the engineer turned it down because it was set to too hot.

I boil the kettle to wash up. 100% of the heated water is used with none left in the pipework.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I'd need a few kettles? Still cheaper I guess as kettle is 3kw but a few minutes to boil a few kettles.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017)

• CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 18th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    So, for a week I had 1 bath a day on non gym days, 2 on gym days. The rest of the time, the immersion heater was off and I boiled kettles to wash up.

I've gone from £3+ per day to an average of £1.71 per day (£11.97 for the week) so i'm saving £10ish minimum per week - that's over £40 a month.....and I don't feel any dirtier.

I like this new routine.

• MikeWhite
    • By MikeWhite 23rd Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    MikeWhite
    So, for a week I had 1 bath a day on non gym days, 2 on gym days. The rest of the time, the immersion heater was off and I boiled kettles to wash up.

I've gone from £3+ per day to an average of £1.71 per day (£11.97 for the week) so i'm saving £10ish minimum per week - that's over £40 a month.....and I don't feel any dirtier.

I like this new routine.
    Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Good on you. You're saving carbon emissions, too.
    • lisag1
    • By lisag1 23rd Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lisag1
    Concerned over gas usage
    Apologies as I've probably put this in the wrong place but have a similar issue with gas usage. Left Scottish Power at the beginning of this year (having been a customer for about twelve years) because I could not believe we were using the amount of gas they were billing us for...previous few years had been between 46317kWh and 64,000kWh. We live in a pre1920s semi with two bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs and two public rooms and only have gas central heating which we switch off mostly end of May to beginning of September. Anyway, with new supplier now and usage is at 26000kWh for the first nine months of the year so I think it will be less than we usually use but I still cannot understand why it is so high. We had the gas boiler serviced today and when I was mentioning usage to the chap he said he doubted that our boiler had the capacity to use/provide the kWh usage that we have been billed for. The boiler is a Vokera Mynute 28e - 35e...any advice appreciated.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 23rd Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    matelodave
    Easy isn't it - with just a few changes you are suddenly around £480 a year better off - that's equivalent to £600+ of your salary before tax and NI.

See what else you could work on.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 23rd Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 1,884 Thanks
    matelodave
    Apologies as I've probably put this in the wrong place but have a similar issue with gas usage. Left Scottish Power at the beginning of this year (having been a customer for about twelve years) because I could not believe we were using the amount of gas they were billing us for...previous few years had been between 46317kWh and 64,000kWh. We live in a pre1920s semi with two bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs and two public rooms and only have gas central heating which we switch off mostly end of May to beginning of September. Anyway, with new supplier now and usage is at 26000kWh for the first nine months of the year so I think it will be less than we usually use but I still cannot understand why it is so high. We had the gas boiler serviced today and when I was mentioning usage to the chap he said he doubted that our boiler had the capacity to use/provide the kWh usage that we have been billed for. The boiler is a Vokera Mynute 28e - 35e...any advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by lisag1
    Have you been reading your meter and checking your bills and getting them correeted. You should only be paying for the energy that you use and that's what gets recorded by the meter.

Unless you have had the meter changed or your previous supplier was recording your consumption incorrectly you should be using about the same. I'd be very inclined to examine your bills very carefully and establish whether your gas consumption has been calculated using metric or imperial units. You should then check that your meter is the same.

Hopefully you've got bills from your previous supplier as well as from your current one to make sure that they are all correct.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 17,472 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    molerat
    Did you actually check the bills and readings and that they were using the appropriate correction factor ?

26000 for the warmest 9 months of the year is not a good sign, the coldest 3 could easily use the same amount.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 24th Oct 17, 8:21 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    rtho782
    Back when we lived in rented with only an immersion heater, I just gave up with it and turned it off permanently. We then used the electric shower, kettle for washing up, etc.

They are just too expensive to operate.

We have a gas combi boiler now so don't worry about it. Gas is way cheaper anyway but it also only heats as much as you need.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 24th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    The average Gas usage according to OFGEM is 12500 kWh per year. Seems there's something odd going on if you're using 64000!

As previous poster suggested is your bill based on meter reads? Is your meter recording use in m3 or feet3? Is that being reflected on bills? There have been cases where the wrong units are calculated .
    • lisag1
    • By lisag1 24th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lisag1
    The new gas meter says m3...I don't know what the old one said. It was replaced about three years ago during a boiler service when chap discovered a small gas leak outside property. He made a phone call and it was changed the same day as the old one had been at property for years. I'm not sure what you mean by "Is that being reflected on bills?"..not sure how to work that out..previous to moving supplier we were paying Scottish Power between £185 and £220 per month.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 24th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    The new gas meter says m3...I don't know what the old one said. It was replaced about three years ago during a boiler service when chap discovered a small gas leak outside property. He made a phone call and it was changed the same day as the old one had been at property for years. I'm not sure what you mean by "Is that being reflected on bills?"..not sure how to work that out..previous to moving supplier we were paying Scottish Power between £185 and £220 per month.
    It is quite possible that you are still being billed as an imperial meter.
    Can you look at the latest bill, tell us the meter readings and the Kwh used and we will look.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 24th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 17,472 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    molerat
    Dig out one of your bills and divide the billed kWh by the meter units, the answer should be around 11. If it is around 32 then that is where your problem is.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,285Posts Today

7,678Users online

Martin's Twitter