Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gedmonds
    • By gedmonds 8th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    gedmonds
    Private Parking Fine Question
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    Private Parking Fine Question 8th Oct 17 at 6:59 PM
    I signed up to Sports Direct Gym a while ago and they have a camera on the car park which automatically takes pictures when you enter and leave. I was told during my introduction that I need to enter my number plate into the system so that when i enter the car park and scan my card it proves I am in the gym and not just parking there throughout the day.

So for the first 10 days of going to the gym I scanned my card in as I was told I needed to do, then on day 11 I realised that 1 of the letters on the number plate (on the system) was wrong. So I changed it to the correct one. Anyway after about a month I received 10 parking tickets from G24 for £100 each. I got evidence from the gym and it corresponded with the times of the tickets to prove I was there. They then said they understand but i need to pay a admin charge of £15 per ticket. So I said no I am not paying £150 for an admin charge when i was parking there legally. Now they have sent the original £100 letters and are asking me for payment.

I believe I am in the right and if it went to court the fines would be dropped as the exact times of each and every fine corresponded with Sports Directs Gym register of when I was in. I am just worried that I am not sure if I can get a CCJ without having the opportunity to go to court and defend myself? And also are these fines actually enforceable with my above situation.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    Lamilad
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    the exact times of each and every fine corresponded with Sports Directs Gym register
    Do you have this evidence in your possession? Who is asking for the £15 admin charge G24 or SD?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 7,411 Posts
    • 6,458 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    Of course you are in the right. Asking you to pay £150 for a simple human error is not on. Let them take you to court, where they will probably claim £1,000 plus costs and see what a judge thinks of this scam.

Refer them to Arkell v Pressdram.
    Last edited by The Deep; 08-10-2017 at 7:35 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 8th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 15,873 Posts
    • 24,609 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    G24 have never ‘done court’.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/G24.html
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 8th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 8,256 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    G24 have never ‘done court’.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/G24.html
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Well said Umk, well said.

Doubt G24 would know what to do with the new regs.

Doubt a judge would be happy if they wasted court time
    with such a trivial claim
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • gedmonds
    • By gedmonds 10th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gedmonds
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    Yes I have evidence from SDF and that evidence is in my possession and it's G24 who are asking for the £15 admin charge per ticket..
    Last edited by gedmonds; 10-10-2017 at 4:46 PM.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 8,256 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    Yes I have evidence from SDF and that evidence is in my possession and it's G24 who are asking for the £15 admin charge per ticket..
    Originally posted by gedmonds
    Just a try on, there is no contract for admin charges, either
    ignore or write telling them there is no debt owed for
    £15 per ticket and to cease their claim

Given their lack of doing court, if they ever started on this one,
    they would be plain stupid
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • gedmonds
    • By gedmonds 10th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gedmonds
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    Ok thanks a lot for your help I feel a lot safer about the whole situation now!
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 10th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 2,917 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    have you asked SD to get them cancelled ?

have you told SD that their gym costs are to high with all this ... and would like to cancel ?

Ralph
    • gedmonds
    • By gedmonds 11th Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gedmonds
    I phoned their head office and they said it should be ok but I would need to phone the specific branch I go to as they have different companies monitoring the car parks. So I phoned and the person on the other end said there was nothing I can do as it was my error, then I got through to a manager who said she isn't sure if she can do anything and I said theirs no way I am paying £1000 worth of fines when I was using the gym facilities and the register proves that. She said I should come in today with the fines and she'll see what she can do but she "isn't promising anything".

I am sure she can get G24 to cancel it as when I moved into my flat I wasn't told I needed a car park permit to park in my car park. I got a ticket on my car on day 1 and phoned up the landlord and they phoned the car park company to cancel it immediately [ then sent me a permit ]. I feel that the SD staff just aren't quite sure what to do.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 16,895 Posts
    • 20,992 Thanks
    Redx
    when you do see them , ask them which member of their staff can be called to court to explain to a judge why they cannot cancel parking tickets on behalf of customers. threaten them that you need this persons details and they will be called as a witness should court proceedings follow in the small claims court (because they are jointly and severally liable for the actions of their agents and contractors)

this might gee them up a bit !!!
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin