Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ACG
    • By ACG 8th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 15,496Posts
    • 7,850Thanks
    ACG
    How much off list price?
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    How much off list price? 8th Oct 17 at 6:26 PM
    I have my eyes on a couple of Cars. Nothing fancy, but all are in and around £16-20k at the dealers.

All are cars that were launched in 2017 so they are all quite new.

I am guessing it is a "how long is apiece of string" kind of question, but if you dont ask and all that.
    Last edited by ACG; 08-10-2017 at 6:41 PM.
Page 2
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Oct 17, 1:19 PM
    • 15,496 Posts
    • 7,850 Thanks
    ACG
    Thanks for all of the replies.

I am guessing at best I am looking at 10-20% and only if they are a little behind target towards the end of the month and possibly only if I take out their finance.

That is all I was after really, just something to push for.

I did not want to walk out of there with a free car freshner thinking I had got a good deal.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 11th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    Really? i was under the impression if I settled I would be charged admin and a minimum interest cost but if cancelled it I would only pay a few days interest?
    Originally posted by zooks
    I agree. I 'withdrew' (that was the term on the agreement rather than cancel) from the finance within 14 days, and only had to pay the daily interest cost for the days up to withdrawing. I thought settlement was only when you had gone beyond the 14 days period, and could include additional costs depending on the finance provider.

The dealership did try and convince me to pay the 1st monthly payment so that they could get their commission, but it would have been stupid to not cancel within the 14 days when I had the cash.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 11th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    That is an interesting question. There seems to be a view that if you cancel within your 14 days you might have to pay back the discount you got.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Unless it's written in the agreement they can't make you. It was specifically written into my agreement (Kia) that any manufacturer contributions wouldn't need to be repaid if you cancelled within 14 days. It was well worth getting the £1k contribution and then cancelling the finance.

One thing to be aware of though is that there were 6 days between the date on the agreement and when I actually received it in the post. The agreement stated that the 14 days started from when I received the agreement rather than the date on the accompanying letter - however even though I phoned up to cancel the day after collecting the car I was told that it was 16 days, and that I couldn't cancel. Obviously sorted it out with a manager in the end, but it also annoyed me that the 14 days didn't start when I actually picked the car up (which was the earliest the dealership could do as well, not my decision). So best to do it as quickly as possible to prevent increased stress levels!
    • zooks
    • By zooks 11th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    zooks
    Unless it's written in the agreement they can't make you. It was specifically written into my agreement (Kia) that any manufacturer contributions wouldn't need to be repaid if you cancelled within 14 days. It was well worth getting the £1k contribution and then cancelling the finance.

One thing to be aware of though is that there were 6 days between the date on the agreement and when I actually received it in the post. The agreement stated that the 14 days started from when I received the agreement rather than the date on the accompanying letter - however even though I phoned up to cancel the day after collecting the car I was told that it was 16 days, and that I couldn't cancel. Obviously sorted it out with a manager in the end, but it also annoyed me that the 14 days didn't start when I actually picked the car up (which was the earliest the dealership could do as well, not my decision). So best to do it as quickly as possible to prevent increased stress levels!
    Originally posted by ComicGeek
    My dealer (VAG Group) wants me to come in the week before collection to sign the finance forms but I can't withdraw until I have an acceptance letter from the finance department which could be a week after I collect the car? Is that correct?
    If so I think I might be really busy right up to collection day ;-)

Sorry to off topic the OP's thread but might be useful to them too,
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 11th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    My dealer (VAG Group) wants me to come in the week before collection to sign the finance forms but I can't withdraw until I have an acceptance letter from the finance department which could be a week after I collect the car? Is that correct?
    If so I think I might be really busy right up to collection day ;-)

Sorry to off topic the OP's thread but might be useful to them too,
    Originally posted by zooks
    No idea, but sounds like you need to investigate further to avoid being caught out. Just remember never to trust anything the salesman tells you...

For both Toyota and Kia I've been able to phone up to withdraw from the agreement and pay by BACs on the same day - sounds like a delaying tactic to have to wait for a letter!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 10,140 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    As you've said any new car, if you could point me to a genuine 20% off a new i3 I would be most grateful.

I say "genuine" because all BMW dealers I've spoken to give about a 15% discount off list, but conveniently forget to mention this is the government allowance of £5k plus the BMW contribution available on pretty much all new BMWs. These prices have come through Carwow and face to face with the dealer.
    Originally posted by uknick
    I got around 22% off my current 1 series, although I did have to take out finance deal to get all the relevant contributions. I know some have had even better deals for an M140i. It'll come down to which dealers, timing and your own powers of persuasion.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 10,140 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    That is an interesting question. There seems to be a view that if you cancel within your 14 days you might have to pay back the discount you got.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    That just doesn't happen.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 12th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    uknick
    I got around 22% off my current 1 series, although I did have to take out finance deal to get all the relevant contributions. I know some have had even better deals for an M140i. It'll come down to which dealers, timing and your own powers of persuasion.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I'm not surprised by the discount you got on your 1 series, my partner managed to get 30% on a stock X1 a couple of years ago without taking out any finance.

But, if you're looking to buy a car where demand outstrips supply why on earth would dealer/manufacturers discount them? So, the comment earlier in the thread appears to be correct; it all depends on the car you're interested in.

Your comment contradicting this saying ALL cars can attract 15% to 20% is based on your, might I say limited, experience and not the complete marketplace.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,001Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter