Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ACG
    • By ACG 8th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 15,502Posts
    • 7,852Thanks
    ACG
    How much off list price?
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    How much off list price? 8th Oct 17 at 6:26 PM
    I have my eyes on a couple of Cars. Nothing fancy, but all are in and around £16-20k at the dealers.

All are cars that were launched in 2017 so they are all quite new.

I am guessing it is a "how long is apiece of string" kind of question, but if you dont ask and all that.
    Last edited by ACG; 08-10-2017 at 6:41 PM.
Page 1
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    Depends on:

How close to his targets/over his targets for the month the dealer is. If he's over or close, the answer can be none.

What if anything you're part exing. If it's basically a shed, although they won't tell you it will be assigned a value of nil so when they offer you (say) £500 for your part ex, that just comes off their deal flexibility

Whether you're a cash buyer or taking dealer finance.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 8th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 7,852 Thanks
    ACG
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    No part ex.
    I will need finance, I can do it through them (depending on what rates they charge) or not.

But I get the impression it is better for me to head down there towards the end of the month by the sounds of it?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 8,944 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    missile
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    Depends on what car?
    Most give discount, some give dealer contribution toward finance and some offer scrappage.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Lucky Duck
    • By Lucky Duck 8th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Lucky Duck
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    I'd try something like Drive the Deal or Carwow to get an idea on what level of discounts are on offer
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 41,320 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    Totally depends on the car and model. You might get 35% off a Citroen, but zilch off a Porsche.
    Have a look at carfile.net for guide prices.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 10,142 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    Totally depends on the car and model. You might get 35% off a Citroen, but zilch off a Porsche.
    Have a look at carfile.net for guide prices.
    Originally posted by macman
    I don't know about that. I've seen more discount on higher end or "executive" class models than your standard day to day stuff.

As a general rule of thumb if you're not getting around 15-20% from any new car then you're not trying hard enough. Also, one thing to bear in mind is the fact that car sales are down at the moment so probably more chance of a deal.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 09-10-2017 at 7:09 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 15,539 Posts
    • 8,892 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    Try www.broadspeed.com or www.drivethedeal.com for decent discounts.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 7,062 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    almillar
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    I've seen more discount
    Oh no! Don't call it a discount! They don't like it when you call it a discount. It's a 'manufacturer contribution' or a 'dealer contribution'. But please don't call it a discount, something bad is bound to happen if anyone finds out...
    • uknick
    • By uknick 11th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    uknick
    I don't know about that. I've seen more discount on higher end or "executive" class models than your standard day to day stuff.

As a general rule of thumb if you're not getting around 15-20% from any new car then you're not trying hard enough. Also, one thing to bear in mind is the fact that car sales are down at the moment so probably more chance of a deal.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    As you've said any new car, if you could point me to a genuine 20% off a new i3 I would be most grateful.

I say "genuine" because all BMW dealers I've spoken to give about a 15% discount off list, but conveniently forget to mention this is the government allowance of £5k plus the BMW contribution available on pretty much all new BMWs. These prices have come through Carwow and face to face with the dealer.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Tom99
    Try CarWow they will give you 5 quotes from named main dealers, most near you, and you can then contact any of the dealers with further questions.
    • zooks
    • By zooks 11th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    zooks
    20% off a new car is easily achievable but will probably include manufacturer finance contributions for taking a pcp deal. You have a right to cancel this within 14 days and keep any contributions or incentives offered.
    I'm waiting on a factory order and intend to do this myself.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 11th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    uknick
    Try CarWow they will give you 5 quotes from named main dealers, most near you, and you can then contact any of the dealers with further questions.
    Originally posted by Tom99

As I said I tried Carwow and all the dealers prices were the same, just the government discount.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised, you probably aimed this at the OP.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 11th Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 10,300 Posts
    • 6,605 Thanks
    bigadaj
    20% off a new car is easily achievable but will probably include manufacturer finance contributions for taking a pcp deal. You have a right to cancel this within 14 days and keep any contributions or incentives offered.
    I'm waiting on a factory order and intend to do this myself.
    Originally posted by zooks
    Best to settle the finance rather than cancel it.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Tom99
    As I said I tried Carwow and all the dealers prices were the same, just the government discount.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised, you probably aimed this at the OP.
    Originally posted by uknick
    What government discount? Are you talking about the manufacturers scrappage schemes?
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 11th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    giraffe69
    +1 for Carwow. I went equipped with prices to my local dealer and they were keen to match the price and closed the deal quite quickly.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 11th Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    uknick
    What government discount? Are you talking about the manufacturers scrappage schemes?
    Originally posted by Tom99

No, it's the electric car grant.
    • zooks
    • By zooks 11th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    zooks
    Best to settle the finance rather than cancel it.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Really? i was under the impression if I settled I would be charged admin and a minimum interest cost but if cancelled it I would only pay a few days interest?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Tom99
    Really? i was under the impression if I settled I would be charged admin and a minimum interest cost but if cancelled it I would only pay a few days interest?
    Originally posted by zooks
    That is an interesting question. There seems to be a view that if you cancel within your 14 days you might have to pay back the discount you got.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 11th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 7,062 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    almillar
    As you've said any new car, if you could point me to a genuine 20% off a new i3 I would be most grateful
    Try CarWow they will give you 5 quotes from named main dealers
    Just been through the above. Nothing below £27k. The best you can do is the 1.3% finance. Specific to the 'i' cars, the dealers are just agents. They're not selling you their cars, they're acting as agents between you and BMW so there's not much you can do. They also can't make them as fast as sell them so why should they offer money off?

The above may contain information from car salesmen - pinch of salt required.
    No, it's the electric car grant.
    £4,500 off the i3, £2,500 (?) off the i3 ReX is the grant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin