Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bamgbost
    • By bamgbost 8th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 215Posts
    • 63Thanks
    bamgbost
    HMRC Expense / Relocation Benefit - Explanation Pls
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    HMRC Expense / Relocation Benefit - Explanation Pls 8th Oct 17 at 6:22 PM
    Hi Guys

Was verbally offered a new role last week.
    And one of the things they mentioned is the relocation benefit for £8k!
    This made my eyes light up! As it sounds a decent amount.

I am awaiting the full offer in writing and can try and ask Qs then, but on anticipation of this, I am keen to understand the benefit.

Previously I received 8% of the new salary, which was taxable in my first paycheck for relocation.

BUT This time its the HMRC expense process. Tried reading the main website and its not quite clear to me, other than to say that if its £8k or less, there's no need to report / detail how its spent. I think?

Anyone been through this process. And can explain how it works. Can the company give u the 8k? And you use it however. or must I spend the full 8k on relocating vans, deposits, other expenses etc.

Any help to explain this would benefit to its fullest would help guys. Obviously I am aware there is more the new package, than relocation benefit only, but I am keen to understand the head and tail of this benefit.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 8th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 3,837 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    It's up to £8K, and your expenses need to be documented.

Do you have a mortgage, what are your moving costs?
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 8th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 21,828 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    Anyone been through this process. And can explain how it works. Can the company give u the 8k? And you use it however. or must I spend the full 8k on relocating vans, deposits, other expenses etc.

Originally posted by bamgbost
    Your employer deals with it.
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-relocation

You have to spend the money on relocating. If your employer just gives you money it's taxable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter