Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tracyclimber
    • By tracyclimber 8th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tracyclimber
    Rayburn VS oil storage heaters
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    Rayburn VS oil storage heaters 8th Oct 17 at 6:18 PM
    I havea coal fired Rayburn, from which there are 3 radiators. The only room I heat is the bathroom (there is the Rayburn in the living room and an open fire in the front room). In the bathroom is a small oil filled radiator, which I keep on minimum during the day and turn up early evening, turning down again at bedtime. This is kept on at minimum as I've heard that it is cheaper to keep the oil warm. I do this because I have to have the motor running to use the Rayburn heaters, to circulate the hot water. The hot water is sort of "free" as it comes from the Rayburn which is on 24hrs a day.
    Is it cheaper to run the oil fired heater or to use the motor to have the Rayburn radiators on?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 17,483 Posts
    • 11,717 Thanks
    molerat
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    So far you are doing a very good job of throwing money away. The pump, probably using around 40w, is way cheaper than the oil heater.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • tracyclimber
    • By tracyclimber 8th Oct 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tracyclimber
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:26 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:26 PM
    Thanks very much for the advice
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    Save the oil heater until the middle of winter
    • tracyclimber
    • By tracyclimber 8th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tracyclimber
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    Yes, I could do that, thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,209Posts Today

5,597Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin