Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • googler
    • By googler 8th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 14,387Posts
    • 9,300Thanks
    googler
    Lawnmower - recommendations, reliability etc.
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    Lawnmower - recommendations, reliability etc. 8th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    Looking for a new mower for relatives; I'm currently using a Flymo that was purchased in the 1980s or 1990s, which has a 34cm blade. I've done their lawn once with this one, and due to its size, we've agreed that something with at least that cutting size is required (34, 37, 40cm), and that we want a wheeled electric model, as opposed to hover-style.

From what I've looked at so far, the Flymos and DIY store own brands seem to be cheapest, with Black & Decker / Qualcast being the next step up, and Bosch most expensive.

I'm leaning toward a Qualcast, but wondered if anyone wanted to share recommendations of what they've used, models they would steer clear of, or pointers to any that aren't in my list above?
Page 1
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    Qualcast are OK for the price. I think the brand is going with Homebase (and Bunnings), not Argos following the split of these two companies, and therefore Argos were selling some off super-cheap. Not sure if they still are.

Bunnings (the new brand-name for some Homebase shops) is cheaper than Homebase. There are only a few of them at the moment.

Bosch are better - the motors last longer, and blades are better quality. However, there's no real need for a "posh" mower if you look after what you buy. Clean the blade/deck after cutting, store dry over winter, sharpen or replace blade in spring... It'll last ten years or more if you are lucky.

Mind you, at this time of year, there are huge bargains to be had, as mowers don't sell in winter and shops want to clear them out. Might be worth shopping around for a bargain.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 9th Oct 17, 6:22 AM
    • 912 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:22 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:22 AM
    I’m sure you won’t make the same mistake that I once did, but make sure that the mower actually has a proper blade, rather than some form of disposable cutter or line. Mine was a Qualcast, which I bought unseen and had shipped it overseas before discovering that the “blade” was a useless disposable plastic clip that wore down on a single cut of the lawn...
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 9th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:45 AM
    We own a flymo. Bought ours recently, I like them because they are easy to use and have the grass box, and a reasonable price too. Maybe a larger flymo would suit your needs.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 9th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    How much do you want to spend?

I bought a Bosch one for £100 at the time because funds were limited and we'd just bought a new house.

I'd go for this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Ergoflex-Electric-Rotary-Cutting/dp/B00SBN0OBS Which is £120.

This is the one we bought: https://www.homebase.co.uk/bosch-rotak-37-14-ergoflex-electric-rotary-lawn-mower_p325462

The first one is far superior in terms of build according to reviews. It was much more expensive at the time and hence why I didn't buy it.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 10th Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 33,000 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    Thing to bear in mind is that the cheaper "Shed" own brands are very often difficult to get spares for when things go wrong. Stick with a known name.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

7,091Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin