Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 8th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 200Posts
    • 236Thanks
    copperclock
    Lie about student loan and 'living elsewhere'?
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    Lie about student loan and 'living elsewhere'? 8th Oct 17 at 5:19 PM
    Hello.

My DS lives with me and his step-dad. We have a fairly high household income. Therefore, when the time comes, DS will only be entitled to apply for the minimum maintenance element of the student loan.

His father and step-mother have a lower income. His father has suggested that he apply for student finance under his address so that he can get a larger maintenance loan. He wouldn't actually be living there.

Please tell me why this is a good/bad idea. My hunch is that it's bad.
    Last edited by copperclock; 08-10-2017 at 5:32 PM.
Page 2
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    z1a
    I would say that's subjective though as it depends just as much on the subject they are taking. I attended two Russel universities, one undergrad one post grad and my job (teaching) doesnt pay back a huge load of my debt however my relative who attended a non russel uni doing a lucrative subject paid back his student loan very quickly.
    Originally posted by Zeni
    You should have gone to a Russell uni.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,488Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin