Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrwesty
    • By Mrwesty 8th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mrwesty
    Credit post bankruptcy
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    Credit post bankruptcy 8th Oct 17 at 5:14 PM
    Evening peeps

I'm 20 months nearly post bankruptcy I was discharged Feb 2017. I cleaned up my file soon after. I have been looking for a credit a card to start rebuilding my credit history but it says iv got 10% chance of getting one so I Havant tried yet. Can anyone tell me if they have got one this early on? It says you can try 12-18 post bankruptcy but if only 1-10 can get one then I want chance it. I have a resonabel income.
    Clear score 251
    Noodle score 527
    Experian score 501

Could anyone fill me in on best options or what they know

Many thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 13,668 Posts
    • 14,123 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    Try a sub prime lender - eg aqua or Vanquis.

Ignore all of your credit scores, and ensure that you clear bills in good time and never go overlimit.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 8th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 24,081 Posts
    • 11,368 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    What is exactly shown on the CRA's?

If any mention of defaults etc then only perhaps the deposit based cards will touch you.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Mrwesty
    • By Mrwesty 8th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrwesty
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    All defaults are settled I sorted them out last February.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 8th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 24,081 Posts
    • 11,368 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    All defaults are settled I sorted them out last February.
    Originally posted by Mrwesty
    ........But are they showing on there even if showing now as settled?

If they are you will have difficulties - if they have dropped off it will be easier for you to get a card.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 8th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    Bankruptcy hasn't dropped though, so will still have major issues.

Is Aqua the one showing 10% by any chance? I had them at 10% from whilst I was bankrupt, right the way through discharge. When I was finally accepted, it only said 10% - so take all that with a massive pinch of salt. Even now it says 10% and I have their reward card with £2k

Check you've 100% cleaned up your files correctly - e.g all default dates on or before the first date of your bankruptcy (Feb 16 assuming it was a standard 1 year discharge and not extended). Check all debts are showed as partially settled/satisfied as of Feb 2017.

If you've got a reasonable income I'm surprised you aren't pre-approved for a Capital One (try totallymoney.com - it's similar to the MSE one but definitely shows Capital One - MSE are hit and miss with Cap1).

Reason I say Totally Money and not the Cap1 site direct - Cap1 direct give you the bog standard one only. TM have specials (0% for 3 months, lower APR etc etc).

Unless Cap1 were a creditor, then you have to wait a bit longer like I had to. If you got a BRU/BRO then you'll probably struggle for a bit longer too

If Totally Money search comes back as nada, then you really are too soon. You could have a go at applying for the secured card directly (http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/securedTC25.jsf) - But bear in mind I got declined for that, declined for a proper card... then accepted for a proper card 2 weeks later. Madness.

If you have recovered from root cause and want to build again, then my advise would be open a Jacamo/JD Williams account. I have several, they put your limit up every time you shop if you use it once every 3 months or so.

Time will heal... I've been discharged 2 years and still can't get a proper bank account (luckily my pre-BR accounts I wasn't overdrawn on stayed open, and despite flat out refusing me lending, the banks haven't thrown their toys out the pram and closed them down).

I wouldn't go anywhere near a main bank - my income is reasonably high now and they still won't touch me, and that's despite 3 years since BR.

Edit: Just realised my first Cap1 approval kicked in about 9 months after discharge, so 21 months from bankruptcy... if they say no now, try again via Totally Money next month!!
    Last edited by Somerset La La La; 08-10-2017 at 8:01 PM.
    Ex-Bankrupt, Discharged 09/2015
    Cap1 Platinum - Jul 2016, £4,000.... Consolidation game!
    Aqua Reward (0.5% Cashback) - Nov 2016 - £1,950
    Vanquis Chrome 24.7% - July 2017, £1,000
    Car Loan - Sept 2017 - £15k outstanding, early settlement = £10k....
    Rebuild for Mortgage (10/2018)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin