Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r2015
    • By r2015 8th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 891Posts
    • 255Thanks
    r2015
    would you use old bank account after 5 years?
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    would you use old bank account after 5 years? 8th Oct 17 at 3:31 PM
    I have a RBS current account that I have not used for 5 years with a balance of £0.00.

Due to my current bank (BoS) having closed branches I now need to take 2 buses, due to lack of parking, to get to the nearest branch to deposit a cheque, whereas my old RBS bank has a branch on the outskirts that has plenty of parking.

Should I just roll up in my car and deposit the cheque then use internet banking, if it still works, to transfer the money to my BoS account?
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
Page 1
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 8th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    IanManc
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    Why don't you try to log onto the internet banking first, to see if the RBS account is still open? It may have been closed due to being dormant.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 8th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    Should I just roll up in my car and deposit the cheque then use internet banking, if it still works, to transfer the money to my BoS account?
    Originally posted by r2015
    Sure, why not? Alternatively there are accounts that accept cheque deposits by post.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    You will need an RBS debit card and card reader to create a new payee for your BOS account in your RBS digital banking.

You can set up a new payee in the RBS mobile banking app without a card and reader but payments are limited to £250 if the payee is not set up in RBS digital banking
    Last edited by RG2015; 08-10-2017 at 5:38 PM.
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 8th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    Another option would be to pay the cheque into your BOS account at your local post office (needs the right paying in slip and envelope).
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    Another option would be to pay the cheque into your BOS account at your local post office (needs the right paying in slip and envelope).
    Originally posted by MarkFromCornwall
    I forgot that option which is a bit duh! as that's what I always do now.

I believe that post offices keep a stock of paying in envelopes for all of the major banks.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 9th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Don80
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    If it's a current account, it may be dormant if you have done nothing for 12 months. Any transactions (including asking for a balance) should prevent that from happening. If the account isn't dormant you should be able to use it without any problems. If you don't remember your PIN, or internet banking log in details, lost card reader etc get them reset and you should be good to go :-)

If the account is dormant you'd need to speak to RBS and check if it can be made active again. You may need to open a new account, I'm not sure.

If you can log in to the internet banking, you could try transferring £2 to RBS from the Bank of Scotland account and send £1 back again as a test transaction to see if it works okay?
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 9th Oct 17, 11:47 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:47 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 11:47 PM
    I have a RBS current account that I have not used for 5 years with a balance of £0.00.

Due to my current bank (BoS) having closed branches I now need to take 2 buses, due to lack of parking, to get to the nearest branch to deposit a cheque, whereas my old RBS bank has a branch on the outskirts that has plenty of parking.

Why don't you just transfer your BOS account to RBS?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 10th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 7:21 AM

As far as I know, most banks accept cheque deposits via the Post Office. But you need deposit slips and envelopes supplied by your bank.

On the question, I keep old bank accounts active with one credit and one direct debit per month for the sake of my credit history.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 10th Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    I forgot that option which is a bit duh!
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Did you also forget the option of paying a cheque in at a RBS machine? We have one at our Tesco Extra.
    #JeSuisCharlie
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 10th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    RG2015
    Did you also forget the option of paying a cheque in at a RBS machine? We have one at our Tesco Extra.
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    I think you may be confusing me with the OP .

In any case my nearest Tesco/RBS machine is 5 miles away whereas my nearest post office is only 500 yards away.
    Last edited by RG2015; 10-10-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 10th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    r2015
    As far as I know, most banks accept cheque deposits via the Post Office.
    The post office is next door to the bank.

Why don't you just transfer your BOS account to RBS?
    Because RBS won't give me £8 odds a month in interest.

Couldn't find my RBS bank card and when I tried requesting a new one on-line after finally finding my sign-in details I got this reply:

Your Debit Card Request

Thanks for letting us know that your debit card is lost. We’d like to help with that; however, we couldn't find an active card with the details you’ve provided.

So I took the 4 bus trip, 2 there 2 back.
    At least that was free.
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 12th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    The post office is next door to the bank.

Because RBS won't give me £8 odds a month in interest.

Couldn't find my RBS bank card and when I tried requesting a new one on-line after finally finding my sign-in details I got this reply:

Your Debit Card Request

Thanks for letting us know that your debit card is lost. We’d like to help with that; however, we couldn't find an active card with the details you’ve provided.

So I took the 4 bus trip, 2 there 2 back.
    At least that was free.
    Sounds like it's dormant/closed.

That said, i'd forgo (some) interest if having a local branch was something i valued and used.

If it's just the occasional cheque, you can simply post it to your new BOS branch with a covering letter or deposit slip
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 13th Oct 17, 7:06 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    Have you tried actually calling the customer service to re-activate the account? If it let you log in, it could well be just dormant.

I have had accounts with both Natwest and Lloyds dormant for years until I decided to start exploiting them (first switched for an HSBC advance and second transformed in a Club lloyds account).
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 14th Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Chapuys
    I would just rock up to an RBS branch with my account details and ask to have a debit card issued, making sure I had my ID in toe in case they asked for it. It would be easier to telephone them, but face to face is harder to ignore a willing customer coming back to the fold.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 14th Oct 17, 10:42 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 3,670 Thanks
    Stompa
    There's always the soon to be introduced 'Image Clearing System', whereby you will be able to deposit cheques from home. As far as BoS are concerned, they say here:

https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/assets/pdf/bankaccounts/pdf/guide-to-changes.pdf

A new, faster way of clearing sterling cheques

From 30 October 2017 onwards, all banks are introducing a new system for clearing cheques called the Image Clearing System. This!system will allow banks to clear a digital image of a cheque rather than the original paper cheque. Cheques paid in using this system will clear within two working days.

The Image Clearing System will be introduced gradually and will operate alongside the existing paper cheque clearing system. You can find the different timescales for each clearing system in your conditions.

so it's not clear when they will implement it.
    Stompa
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

7,091Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin