Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helpmeoutofthismess
    • By Helpmeoutofthismess 8th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 365Posts
    • 276Thanks
    Helpmeoutofthismess
    Mystery cheques
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    Mystery cheques 8th Oct 17 at 3:14 PM
    Hi, my father sadly passed away recently and I am trying to sort out his affairs. The bank printed off several years worth of bank statements to go through and I see he was writing fairly substantial cheques every month up till 2013.

I wondered is there any way I can find out who the cheques were made out to in case it was to an account I have not found yet? Maybe the cheques were written for some sort of service provided but it seems very out of character!

H x
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    Hi, my father sadly passed away recently and I am trying to sort out his affairs. The bank printed off several years worth of bank statements to go through and I see he was writing fairly substantial cheques every month up till 2013.

I wondered is there any way I can find out who the cheques were made out to in case it was to an account I have not found yet? Maybe the cheques were written for some sort of service provided but it seems very out of character!

H x
    Originally posted by Helpmeoutofthismess
    The only way is to ask the banks for the cancelled cheques. However it is unlikely to affect probate.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 8th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    RADDERS
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    You should be able to get copies of the cheques as they are usually microfiched when paid by the bank.
    Last edited by RADDERS; 08-10-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 29,997 Posts
    • 17,928 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    If they were gifts they will need further research.
    • Helpmeoutofthismess
    • By Helpmeoutofthismess 8th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Helpmeoutofthismess
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    It's only a small estate, no property, just a sticks and shares ISA. Are gifts only an issue for IHT?
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    When you say 'fairly substantial', what percentage of his bank balance, at the time, would it represent? He may have paid into a life insurance policy or similar.
    Have you conducted a search of 'lost/dormant' bank/building society accounts? The cheques may also have been paid into a savings account.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 29,997 Posts
    • 17,928 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    It's only a small estate, no property, just a sticks and shares ISA. Are gifts only an issue for IHT?
    Originally posted by Helpmeoutofthismess
    They form part of the estate if less than 7 years old so depends how much there is on how hard you look for gifts.
    If no where near the nil rate band and transfers/gifts from that far back are not going to take it over the prudent thing to do is not waist too much time accounting for every £ going out of accounts.
    • Helpmeoutofthismess
    • By Helpmeoutofthismess 8th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Helpmeoutofthismess
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    [QUOTE=Margot123;73234024]When you say 'fairly substantial', what percentage of his bank balance, at the time, would it represent? He may have paid into a life insurance policy or similar.
    Have you conducted a search of 'lost/dormant' bank/building society accounts? The cheques may also have been paid into a savings account.[/QUOTE

I guess my idea of fairly substantial is probably lower than most people's, it was around £300 a month. The payments were made nearly every month through 2012 and 2013, I will need to see if the bank are able to print of any further back. my dad seemed to do all of his business with one bank but it's a good idea to try the lost account search, I will definitely try that.

H x
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 8th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 10,401 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    Are the chequebook stubs not available?
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Unless the estate value is into IHT territory and there is evidence there are gifts then there is no poiint.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    They form part of the estate if less than 7 years old so depends how much there is on how hard you look for gifts.
    If no where near the nil rate band and transfers/gifts from that far back are not going to take it over the prudent thing to do is not waist too much time accounting for every £ going out of accounts.
    Unless the OPs father made any other such gifts in this period most if not all these payments would be covered by his annual £3000 allowance. If for example the payments started in Jan 12 and finished in Den 13 the whole lot would be covered by the 11-12, 12-13, and 13-14 allowances, so could be ignored for probate purposes.
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 9th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    Where did the capital for the Stocks and Shares ISA come from? Were the £300 cheques regular monthly savings payments into the ISA in the first place? Just a thought.
    • Helpmeoutofthismess
    • By Helpmeoutofthismess 9th Oct 17, 9:02 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Helpmeoutofthismess
    Where did the capital for the Stocks and Shares ISA come from? Were the £300 cheques regular monthly savings payments into the ISA in the first place? Just a thought.
    Originally posted by eddyinfreehold
    The S&S ISA was funded monthly by DD. Hopefully the bank will be able to tell me who the payee is just in case it's to an account we haven't found yet. If he was gifting it to someone, it doesn't really matter as his estate is no where near IHT territory anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

2,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin