Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cducat
    • By cducat 8th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cducat
    housing discounts
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    housing discounts 8th Oct 17 at 2:18 PM
    I recently purchased a property and after 3 months of being the only occupant on site the other properties are being sold at greatly discounted prices, the same house type being £44,000 cheaper than my purchase price. Does anyone have any experience of this or know if I am entitled to raise a complaint with the Ombudsman?

Regards
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 8th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 8,978 Posts
    • 11,858 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    You can raise a complaint, yes, of course.

Would you be equally upset & demand the new price if prices had gone up instead of down, please?

Wonder what put everyone else off for 3 months: Wouldn't have been the inhabitants would it?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    Link.....?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 8th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    Link.....?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Given that OP is the only occupant, that would be pretty outing!

Unless you were misled (and can prove you were), then you have no grounds for complaint cducat. Prices go up and down, so is life.

(If they still can't sell them, they may sell them off to a social housing provider.)
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 8th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    That's bad luck sadly. Most new estates I see have huge "sold out" signs slapped across them before they're finished.

You'd need very strong and unusual grounds for any complaint to get you anywhere, such as having hard evidence of being lied to, and even that is unlikely to get you any money back I'm afraid.

Still, you get a street to yourself... start some illegal street speedball tournaments!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 41,501 Posts
    • 47,904 Thanks
    G_M
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    I tried this last year.

Bought some branded washing powder from a major supermarket (no names for either the powder or the shop...), and 6 weeks later saw that the same supermarket was selling the same product at half price. That's 50% cheaper!!!!

I complained to the Office of Fair Trading but they dismissed my complaint.

• Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    That's bad luck sadly. Most new estates I see have huge "sold out" signs slapped across them before they're finished.

You'd need very strong and unusual grounds for any complaint to get you anywhere, such as having hard evidence of being lied to, and even that is unlikely to get you any money back I'm afraid.

Still, you get a street to yourself... start some illegal street speedball tournaments!
    Originally posted by glasgowdan

Just a sales technique, like making people line up to get into empty nightclubs
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    I tried this last year.

Bought some branded washing powder from a major supermarket (no names for either the powder or the shop...), and 6 weeks later saw that the same supermarket was selling the same product at half price. That's 50% cheaper!!!!

I complained to the Office of Fair Trading but they dismissed my complaint.

Originally posted by G_M

Yes, funny, but we are talking about the biggest purchase of someone`s life here maybe? More and more people are waking up to the fact that property prices are a con.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 8th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    I recently purchased a property and after 3 months of being the only occupant on site the other properties are being sold at greatly discounted prices, the same house type being £44,000 cheaper than my purchase price. Does anyone have any experience of this or know if I am entitled to raise a complaint with the Ombudsman?

Regards
    Originally posted by cducat
    No.
    It's not the house they sold to you it's the house you bought. They were selling, you bought, a contract to buy / sell was created and completed. its life.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Oct 17, 7:30 AM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I had this sales pitch when I was looking for a new house, said this was the last one, ended being on right move for many many months
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 9,634 Posts
    • 12,150 Thanks
    hazyjo
    What if hadn't been a new build. Would you be complaining about other houses going up for less in the street? The market affects new builds too.

Properties are worth what someone will pay / supply and demand. You paid more. Nobody else was going to, so they had to reduce. Absolutely no different to 'second hand houses'.

It might only be three months between you moving in and the new ones going up for sale, but when did you agree the price you would pay for yours? Three months earlier? Six months? 18 months?
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 9th Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 2,696 Thanks
    cjdavies
    You paid what you thought it was worth and must have been happy in the first place.

Developer wants to get rid, so will drop price.

Out of curiosity, if the prices went the other way, would you complain?
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 9th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    parkrunner

Regards
    Originally posted by cducat
    Complain about what? You purchased the property at a price you must have deemed reasonable, I can't see any reason to complain, moan yes, complain no.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    I paid £4 for a pint in my pub when I found out after I could have gone to Tesco and got one for £1....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,044Posts Today

10,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin