Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cestas55
    • By cestas55 8th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    cestas55
    John Lewis guarantee limits & "cosmetic damage"
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    John Lewis guarantee limits & "cosmetic damage" 8th Oct 17 at 1:55 PM
    PLEASE NOTE - I am no longer interested in replies to my post. I thought I would be getting some consumer law advice, but finding the comments rather silly. I spent £900 on a laptop that has vanishing key decals, and all I get is suggestions to learn touch typing and to paint letters in my neatest handwriting.

Around 18 months ago I spent £900 on an Asus Zenbook from John Lewis, which came with the extended 3 years guarantee. The laptop is essentially fine, but annoyingly the letters on the keyboard have started to fade. Some commonly used keys like E A S O L and shift are blank or almost gone.

Apparently the keys can be flipped out and new ones inserted, and I have bought a transparent keyboard cover for £10 to put a halt to further damage. This is first of several computers I have had without this issue, so I do not think it is me, it is a fault based on the quality of manufacture.

I have contacted John Lewis customer support, but they are saying the problem is not covered by their guarantee, as the guarantee does not cover "cosmetic damage and/or non-functional parts which do not affect the normal use of the product including cabinet trim, scratches and rust". However I would say cosmetic damage is just that, where I scratch or chip the laptop, not something that is a manufacturing fault and effects the proper use of the laptop.

Grateful if anyone has any thoughts on whether this problem should be covered by an extended manufacturer's guarantee. Also if I just pay to get new keys fitted, what are my options to get the cost of repair plus the cost of keyboard cover back?
    Last edited by cestas55; 08-10-2017 at 3:22 PM. Reason: getting out of here
Page 2
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 8th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Opps looks like that site is in the USA. Maybe high on the P&P.

But you get the idea......;-]
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 8th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Diamandis
    I know you said you didn't want replies but have you looked into how much it would be to replace the keys? If it's not a huge amount you could ask JL nicely if they'll consider paying it as a goodwill gesture?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin