Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ads2608
    • By ads2608 8th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 258Posts
    • 84Thanks
    ads2608
    Excel xlsx files not opening in Excel 2016
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    Excel xlsx files not opening in Excel 2016 8th Oct 17 at 12:58 PM
    Hi,

My xlsx files are no longer opening in Excel 2016.

When I try to open a file, Excel states that the file can not be found.

I am still able to open xls files though.

I have tried EaseUS to recover my files. I can see the files but you have to pay to retrieve the file using this software.

Does anyone know:
    Why Excel can't find the files
    If there is any safe free file recovery s/w

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 8th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    Can you find the files by searching in File Explorer? If so, can you open it/them by double clicking. If you can't find the files, have they been deleted?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    ^^good post

Also , if you are already double clicking the files , can you open them by first opening excel and then browsing to them (reverse of the above) ..
    If so then it's just default programs that need setting

Let us know
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • ads2608
    • By ads2608 8th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    ads2608
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    The files aren't in file explorer and they haven't been deleted.

They do show up in my recent items but if I click on them, the file can not be found.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 6,209 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    Look here perhaps https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/79490-restore-previous-versions-files-folders-drives-windows-10-a.html
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Oct 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 2,198 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:55 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:55 PM
    The files aren't in file explorer and they haven't been deleted.

They do show up in my recent items but if I click on them, the file can not be found.
    Originally posted by ads2608
    If they aren't in file explorer in the locations that they are supposed to be then they have been deleted. The other option is that the extension has been changed to a non Excel one.

The reason that they are still in recent documents is because that is just a history of the files that you have opened. It doesn't mean the files still exist.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    Or you may have accidently dropped a folder into another so they are not where they were. Try a full search in explorer to find them.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    Or you may have accidently dropped a folder into another so they are not where they were. Try a full search in explorer to find them.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Good shout, I often do this (accidentally) as my mouse (it's never me) wants to pick up a folder rather than hit the scroll bar.

If they have been accidentally deleted, check the recycle bin.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 9th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    I sometimes hit this issue ("recent documents") when I have renamed the file or as someone else suggested, I moved it to a different folder (or renamed the folder).
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I sometimes hit this issue ("recent documents") when I have renamed the file or as someone else suggested, I moved it to a different folder (or renamed the folder).
    Originally posted by dunroving
    ............ which is why the OP has been advised just to search from top level either by using a known file name or *.xlsx
    • ads2608
    • By ads2608 9th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    ads2608
    The files are nowhere to be seen when I search for them. All of the xlsx files have gone missing from my documents folder. (They are not in my recycle bin either).

I can see them when I use EaseUS, just can't retrieve them due to have to purchase the software.

I should have said in the beginning I was trying to open them from "recent documents" as that was the only place I could find them.
    Last edited by ads2608; 09-10-2017 at 6:38 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,345 Thanks
    DoaM
    EaseUS is a data recovery app. Therefore the files have been deleted - that's why you can't find them in Explorer but EaseUS can. (When a file is deleted all the actually happens is that the file header gets removed from Windows' index - the file itself still exists on the disk until all or part of it is overwritten).

I'm sure there are free versions of other data recovery apps ... Recuva perhaps?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 9th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 6,209 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    EaseUS is a data recovery app. Therefore the files have been deleted - that's why you can't find them in Explorer but EaseUS can. (When a file is deleted all the actually happens is that the file header gets removed from Windows' index - the file itself still exists on the disk until all or part of it is overwritten).

I'm sure there are free versions of other data recovery apps ... Recuva perhaps?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Post #5 points the OP to Windows previous verions first , then Recuva or Photorec/Testdisk could then be used
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    The files are nowhere to be seen when I search for them.
    Originally posted by ads2608
    Sorry - I'm ne to this thread. You can see them in Window's Explorer Recent files? If so, right-mouse-click any one and select "Open file location" and see what it says. Perhaps a USB stick?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • ads2608
    • By ads2608 9th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    ads2608
    Thanks for all your help.

I used Recuva in the end to retrieve the files.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter