Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lorhen1966
    • By lorhen1966 8th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 2Thanks
    lorhen1966
    how long after a death can probate be granted
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    how long after a death can probate be granted 8th Oct 17 at 12:24 PM
    My late father died in 2001 and at the time we didn't need to apply for probate because he had already made sure that all his assets were in joint names with my mother and that there was nothing left in his sole name. I have been helping her with PPI claims and she has successfully won one in dads sole name so the company are asking for a copy of the will or the grant of probate. It was HSBC Trust Co that the will was arranged through, who no longer exist and all efforts to track down the original via that route have been exhausted nor do we have a copy which is really strange because I have a copy of my mothers mirror will which was done at the same time. The company haven't disclosed the amount of compensation of the claim yet so I don't know if it is over £5000. Any suggestions please?
Page 1
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    Why do they need to see your Father's will? If you can show that everything was left to your Mother in a mirror will, then they shouldn't need to see it. Ask them on what basis do they need to see it.
    • lorhen1966
    • By lorhen1966 8th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lorhen1966
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    this was my exact response but my mother is getting herself in a state about it because they wont release funds
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 30,000 Posts
    • 17,929 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    Why do they need to see your Father's will? If you can show that everything was left to your Mother in a mirror will, then they shouldn't need to see it. Ask them on what basis do they need to see it.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    Saying they were mirror wills does not provide evidence they were mirror wills at the time of death either could be changed at any time.

If you cant produce a will and they insist on seeing a grant then letters of administration will be needed.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    Just tell them there was no will
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    I can understand why they need to see this otherwise they have no proof of who is entitled to receive the compensation.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    I'd be weighing up whether or not the hassle is actually worthwhile. If there is stress now, it will only get worse before it gets better. Unless the amount is likely to be substantial, or desperately needed, then maybe reconsider.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    Even though you did not go through probate you should have recovered the will from HSBC, and if you don't have the will you can't apply for probate.

Applying for letters of administration under intestacy rules would be dishonest, and if your father's estate was over £250k would lead to other complications as your mother would not be entitled to the whole estate. It is almost certain that you no longer have sufficient financial information to do this anyway and after so many years bank statements will no longer be available.

For your mother's piece of mind I would simply drop it.
    • lorhen1966
    • By lorhen1966 8th Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lorhen1966
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    thank you all for your replies - I reckon my best bet is to try and appeal to their common sense and explain the situation and if the payment is less than £5000 ask them to make it payable to my mother.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 8th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    FreeBear
    and if your father's estate was over £250k would lead to other complications as your mother would not be entitled to the whole estate.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Bear in mind, it would be the rules of intestacy that were in force in 2001 that would apply if there had been no will. The current statutory legacy of £250K (£450K if no children) came in to force 1st Feb 2009.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 3,752 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    thank you all for your replies - I reckon my best bet is to try and appeal to their common sense and explain the situation and if the payment is less than £5000 ask them to make it payable to my mother.
    Originally posted by lorhen1966
    Regardless of how much it is they need proof of who the rightful beneficiary or executor is, and you can't do that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,070Posts Today

6,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin