Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CJef3
    • By CJef3 8th Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CJef3
    Shared Ownership - Dormant
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    Shared Ownership - Dormant 8th Oct 17 at 12:13 PM
    Hi;

I am currently in the process of buying a house. However, it is a shared freehold, consisting of two other flats.
    The company that owns the freehold is made up of the three owners of the flats/house; however, the company is currently registered as dormant.

Will this make a difference with my mortgage in regards to the company being dormant?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 8th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 7,390 Posts
    • 7,101 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    If you are only buying one of the units in the freehold then your mortgage will be on the lease of your part and dormancy of the freehold company should not be an issue. You should get a share in the company and can make it active if that is necessary. Usually, it isn't and the lessees sort things out between them and only use the company framework if it is legally necessary.

You should not confuse your lender by talking about shared freeholds - you are simply buying the particular leasehold unit - they don't need to know about the freehold situation - that is something that solicitors will look at later.

Lenders' mortgage staff are not lawyers and can easily get confused and think it is a freehold flat - which is effectively unmortgageable - and you don't want them to think that.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 4,381 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    I am currently in the process of buying a house. However, it is a shared freehold, consisting of two other flats.
    Originally posted by CJef3
    no you are not

it appears you are buying a leasehold flat which gives you rights to also have a part in the freehold

you are not buying a house!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,334Posts Today

7,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin