Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beccyj
    • By beccyj 8th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    beccyj
    0 WOW
    Afriqiyah flight refund from many moons ago
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    0 WOW
    Afriqiyah flight refund from many moons ago 8th Oct 17 at 11:03 AM
    Hi all.

First time posting - hope I'm in the right place.

I bought flights from Afriqiyah Airlines in 2011 (Libya's state-owned airline). Before the flight was due, the Arab Spring hit and Libya went into meltdown. My mum made a few calls from the UK and was told that Afriqiyah could not honour the booking and to make a claim on my travel insurance. I bought new flights and came home, then my travel insurance said I wasn't covered for airlines going bust and declined to pay out. I let it go and put it down to bad luck!

I recently realised that Afriqiyah are now back up and running. I sent them an email asking for a refund, including my flight booking, but I haven't had a reply. I've also realised that perhaps I could've claimed this back from my credit card company, but I wasn't aware of the rules at the time, being young and foolish!

Does anyone think this might be worth pursuing or am I on a hiding to nothing? I get the feeling I might be too late but thought it might be worth a punt!

Thanks very much
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 8th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 873 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    Have more than 6 years passed? If so, forget it - the UK statute of limitations means that you're too late to make any claim.

If not, and you have sufficient evidence to back-up your claim, raise a section 75 claim through your credit card issuer for the cost of the replacement flight and any other expenses incurred.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,980Users online

Martin's Twitter