Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mae
    • By mae 8th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,445Posts
    • 818Thanks
    mae
    Valiant and Worcester Boiler Quotes
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    Valiant and Worcester Boiler Quotes 8th Oct 17 at 9:30 AM
    Hi I need a new boiler because ours is old and has broken the last few winters and also to accomadate a new extension we will be having next year.

So we have had 3 quotes (all local small firms) and I'd appreciate any guidance before we make a decision which one to go with. All quotes include fitting (doesn't need to be moved as its in the garage) and includes magnetic filter and vat. They will be using existing controls.

1) Valiant ecoTEC plus 424 open vent boiler £1800
    or Valiant ecoTEC plus 430 open vent for £1900.

2)Worcester Bosch 24Ri regular boiler £2085

3) Worcester 30cdi £2695
    or 40cdi £3195

The house is a 4 bedroom detached and we will be adding a ground floor extension on the rear right across the house with under floor heating.
    Last edited by mae; 08-10-2017 at 9:34 AM.
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 8th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    Your talking about boilers with very big variation in output ranging from 24kw to 40kw. To make the boiler efficient it needs to be close to its maximum. It’s not really a question of price. You need to know the requirements in kw of your house and make a decision based on that. I’d personally pick a Vaillant model.
    • mae
    • By mae 8th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    mae
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    Your talking about boilers with very big variation in output ranging from 24kw to 40kw. To make the boiler efficient it needs to be close to its maximum. It’s not really a question of price. You need to know the requirements in kw of your house and make a decision based on that. I’d personally pick a Vaillant model.
    Originally posted by Alex1983
    Yes all three have come and looked at the property and seen the size of the planned extension and all have come back with recommendations of output that are very wide in rage which confuses me more
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 8th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    Do you know what your requirements are?
    • mae
    • By mae 8th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    mae
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    No I dont understand the whole thing really haha which is why I asked three to come, so they could see what we have and also show them the plan of the extension so we would need to factor that in. We don't want a combi boiler.

We have an unvented indirect cylinder upstairs for the new bathrooms.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 8th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    I was reading the latest Which magazine. Both the Valiant and Worcester make decent reliable models but the Worcester was by the far the best over all.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 8th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    You need to find the kw’s required for your house, do you know the output of the underfloor heating?
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    J B
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    . I’d personally pick a Vaillant model.
    I'd personally avoid Vailant

I was reading the latest Which magazine. Both the Valiant and Worcester make decent reliable models but the Worcester was by the far the best over all.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    The Worcester has 5star reliability, the Vailant 3star!

'nuff said?

• Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 8th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    You keep believing which, I’ll keep repairing boilers.
    • mae
    • By mae 8th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    mae
    You need to find the kw’s required for your house, do you know the output of the underfloor heating?
    No I don't we are only at the stage of knowing we will be having about 45 sqm of underfloor heating
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 8th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Alex1983
    How many radiators do you have or will end up with?
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 8th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I'd personally avoid Vailant

The Worcester has 5star reliability, the Vailant 3star!

'nuff said?

Originally posted by J B

Its never that easy as some models were more reliable than others an average score is just that. I don't have the copy with me but it rated some models. Hence if I was picking one I would research.

Samsung make great TVs but I would not pick any model believing they must all be 5 Star.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 08-10-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 8th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    You keep believing which, I’ll keep repairing boilers.

Yep I will keep believing hundreds/thousands of repairers and customers not just one. Ohh and independent, respected research.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 08-10-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 1,580 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Several decades of experience as a consumer & a service engineer (not boilers) have taught me not to trust Which? any further than I could throw it (when it was a magazine of course, you can't throw a website).
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 8th Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Well we all have experiences don't we and they colour our view.

I was in the TV, satellite, dvd, video, hi-fi repair game for about seven years at a large brands repair and service centre. This included massive rental. Every single manufacture and brand other than one or two come through.

I experienced what where the good and bad models of that time and Which were pretty accurate in their assessment.

No need to throw the computer out the window, it still comes in the post.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 08-10-2017 at 3:26 PM.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 8th Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Alex1983
    I’ve said many times on here that everyone will tell you a different boiler is best, as you say based on previous experience etc, my point although it may not of come across like it was you can’t just read a which magazine and assume there top rated boiler is the best. It also has ideal as 4th best which is crazy they have made some of the most unrealiable boilers of the last 15 years.

I don’t dislike Worcester boilers and would be happy with one in my house but speak to a lot of installers and repair guys and most will say there over priced, have what seems like razor blades inside and full of plastic.

My opinion of the best boiler is it’s current reliability, how easy it is to repair, how good tech support from the manufacturer is and mainly there track record of reliable boilers over along period of times, which is why i believe Vaillant is right up there as the best manufacturer.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 8th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I understand what you are saying and I respect your experience and views. But when I hear people just imply the whole of Which is no good I just roll my eyes.

Which does more than just give a manufacture a star rating it tests models. Sometimes I use the info to just avoided the "ones to avoid." I am looking at a Smart Security Camera now. Who in there right mind would pick an avoid and not at least give a "Best Buy" a second look.

If the average Jo is going to dismiss Which, then where are they going for guidance..........their own knowledge?? Not everyone knows everyone in every trade.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 08-10-2017 at 5:11 PM.
    • thegasmon
    • By thegasmon 8th Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    thegasmon
    worcesters customer service sells alot of boilers, its the best by far. vaillant boilers are ok, nothing special.

if i had to choose as a customer id go with worcester, an ideal if i couldnt afford a worcester.
    • bris
    • By bris 9th Oct 17, 2:36 AM
    • 6,937 Posts
    • 5,954 Thanks
    bris
    Which are selective, Worcester boilers were great. Worcester Bosch boilers however are not so great, there is a difference.

As far as the public are concerned though they still have a reputation.

Intergas are the best boilers on the market right now. Yes that's my opinion but so far none that I have either installed or service has ever broke down. If one day one does break down they are also the easiest boilers to fix as there is only 4 main components.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 9th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Just reread the Which magazine as I am now at home. Nothing in there about 5 and 3 stars for Worcester and Vaillant. Oct 2017.

If rates Worcester Bosch as the best with Viessmann and Vaillant close second. You can see how it rates them from reliability, ease of service, parts & spares availability, build quality and on and on....

It hates Ferrolis and Vokeras and does not rate Ariston much either.

It marks Ideal, Baxi, Glow-worm, Potterton and others.....

For me its not always about going with what Which say is the best........I use it to avoid the real rubbish and as a guide.The report is more than just who is the best and worse. It has plenty of information and helpful tips.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 09-10-2017 at 9:38 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,219Posts Today

7,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin