Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alpbabe
    • By alpbabe 8th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alpbabe
    Overseason Parking fine in UK
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    Overseason Parking fine in UK 8th Oct 17 at 8:30 AM
    Not sure if this is the correct location for this? In April I travelled home via Liverpool Airport for a family death. On leaving the rental car park I stopped shortly to check something on the outside of the car and subsequently received a notification from the car rental agency that I had received a traffic violation ticket for GBP 40.00. I understood the letter to say that I would receive the actual ticket via the post at a later date and so waited for it. In addition to this I had to pay the car rental agency 40.00 to process this ppwk.
    Several months later I received a letter from BW Legal Debt Collection Agency saying that I was in violation of not paying my fine and I now owed GBP 160.00. Several letters later I made an international bank transfer for GBP 160.00 to BW Legal. I now received a letter saying I still owe them 25.81!!!! This is ridiculous. I can't help it if their bank deducts so much for the bank transfer. I sent the full amount from my bank.

Am I really still liable for the transfer fees? Am I in danger of being arrested the next time I pcik up a hire car when arriving in the UK? They are threatening to take me to court! Seriously!

Where do I stand on this? Anyone with any advice out there?
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 8th Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 6,476 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    Not sure if this is the correct location for this? In April I travelled home via Liverpool Airport for a family death. On leaving the rental car park I stopped shortly to check something on the outside of the car and subsequently received a notification from the car rental agency that I had received a traffic violation ticket for GBP 40.00. I understood the letter to say that I would receive the actual ticket via the post at a later date and so waited for it. In addition to this I had to pay the car rental agency 40.00 to process this ppwk.
    Several months later I received a letter from BW Legal Debt Collection Agency saying that I was in violation of not paying my fine and I now owed GBP 160.00. Several letters later I made an international bank transfer for GBP 160.00 to BW Legal. I now received a letter saying I still owe them 25.81!!!! This is ridiculous. I can't help it if their bank deducts so much for the bank transfer. I sent the full amount from my bank.

Am I really still liable for the transfer fees? Am I in danger of being arrested the next time I pcik up a hire car when arriving in the UK? They are threatening to take me to court! Seriously!

Where do I stand on this? Anyone with any advice out there?
    Originally posted by alpbabe
    OH boy, you have been well and truly scammed.
    You should never had paid BWLegal

The sum of £160 includes silly charges of debt collectors

I assume they are writing to your address outside the UK ?

Yes it is ridiculous but that's BWLegal for you.

You paid the amount they claimed (silly thing to do), it
    is their problem if they get charged a handling fee, they
    should of thought about that in the first place.

You have been seen as a mug and that's their game,
    mugging people.

There is no way this would cause you a problem coming
    back to the UK because BWLegal DO NOT HAVE ANY POWER

Ignore it, they will not take you to court for £25, it's a try on.

This is just a disgusting scam
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 6,473 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    You have fallen for a well known scam. BW legal operate very close to the fringes of the law, and their clients often beyond it. Next time you are in the UK clock up as many tickets as you can, having amended your car hire agreement to exclude private tickets.
    Last edited by The Deep; 08-10-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 8th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    In whatever country you reside, there should be a "Visit Britain" office. Why not express your views to them about your visit and why they should take an interest in scammers working around the airports. If you don't say anything then others will be scammed too.
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
    • alpbabe
    • By alpbabe 9th Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alpbabe
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    not scammers
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    This isnt about scammers at airports. I have received a parking violation which is not a sam. The issue is about the extoionate payment which has been passed on from the PCN to me via a debt collectors. I will now ignore any more demands for money.

Thank you for the input.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 9th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    I have received a parking violation
    If there was no "parking violation" as the "violation" was an opinion and not a breach of a law, then it is a scam.

You may not have appreciated that these "violations" have little basis in the laws of this country. They would have need to go to court to prove it, and they don't for airports as there are different laws here about airport spaces.
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 9th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    This isnt about scammers at airports.
    Originally posted by alpbabe
    I'm sorry but it is!
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 9th Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 5,464 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    you have not broken any laws, you have been scammed, conned, ripped off, fooled deceived, or any other word like that.
    you did not have to pay them anything, and if you were charged an admin fee by the rental company, you should have disputed it, and either not paid or taken action to get the admin fee cancelled, or refunded.

OK, So lets see if we can help you at least get a proportion of your money back, what was the name of the rental company? and do you have a copy of their terms and conditions?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 6,473 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    This is about alleged breaches of contract for very minor contraventions of poorly written, poorly signposted, and often unfair terms and conditions, of course it is about scammers at airports.

They also try it on a railway stations, hospitals, suoer-markets, block of flats, and universities. HMG keeps promising to "do something" but so fat has failed..
    Last edited by The Deep; 09-10-2017 at 9:44 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin