Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r2015
    • By r2015 8th Oct 17, 12:22 AM
    • 891Posts
    • 255Thanks
    r2015
    New TV
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:22 AM
    New TV 8th Oct 17 at 12:22 AM
    I've decided to treat myself to a new TV as my present 32 inch Sony Bravia seems to be shrinking as I get older.

I think a 55 inch TV should do.

Last time I looked at TVs and bought my present Sony Bravia was when the analogue transmitter at Tealing was switched off.

What I am looking for is one with a HDMI socket for my SKY + HD box, SCART for my rarely watched DVD player and RGB for my Nintendo wii.

I don't need a SMART TV that connects to the internet as I have a thing that I can't remember the name off, that connects the SKY + box to my WIFI for SKY on demand.

Something <£500 if possible.

Any recommendations?
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
Page 1
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 8th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    You may have problems finding one with a scart lead,do you have a Richersounds near you,u will get a 6 year warranty for free.
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 8th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    SCART will be an issue and you will need a box to convert the signal. This mostly likely won't be worth the expense so just replace the DVD player.

You will struggle to get a 50 inch for under £500.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 8th Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    DVD Players with HDMI you can get for £20 or if you want to upgrade to Blu Ray there's a nice looking one for £50 on Amazon - note that Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible so they will play your DVDs too.

all TVs have HDMI on them, Sky+ will be HD. I'm assuming your Wii connects via the yellow, red and white RCA sockets?

For a low budget might have to compromise a bit but this budget 55" TV should do what you want, it even has SCART!
    http://ao.com/product/55ao4usb-techwood-tv-black-43239-108.aspx

It is a Smart TV but remember you don't have to use all the features of it.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 8th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 3,826 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    Agree with mobileron about Richersounds. If there is one close enough go and visit, they are generally excellent.

You will probably struggle to find a non-smart TV nowadays.

£500 will get you a 49" from Richersounds, my new 55" was £800 (but physically smaller than my old 50" plasma).

Scart to RCA (the Red, White and Yellow phono plugs, which AFAIA are still present on most TV's) cost a couple of quid.

Scart to HDMI cost about £20, but if you are going for the cheaper end you may be limited by the amount of HDMIs the TV has.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 8th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    This is MSE! Just move your armchair closer to the TV.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 1,580 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    Agree with mobileron about Richersounds. If there is one close enough go and visit, they are generally excellent.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    You get good deals from Richer Sounds but going by my recent visits their staff have become salesman like everywhere else. They just try to sell you something better than you need for a bigger profit. If you're going, do it in the afternoon.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    You get good deals from Richer Sounds but going by my recent visits their staff have become salesman like everywhere else. They just try to sell you something better than you need for a bigger profit. If you're going, do it in the afternoon.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Any particular reason why? I tend find shops like these are busier in the afternoon and therefore have less time to help you.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 8th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    Every TV you can buy now has HDMI as standard. Usually 3 sockets, sometimes 2, often 4.

As for Scart, I can't recall when I last saw this included on a TV. As has already been suggested, you will actually be better off treating yourself to a new DVD / Blu-ray player. Prices start at around £45. If you will never play Blu-ray discs, then you can buy a decent brand (such as Sony) DVD player from around £25 which will have HDMI output.

As for RGB for your Wii, I would recommend buying a Wii2HDMI adapter. I have one for my Wii (I'm a retro gamer!) and the quality is comparable with the RGB output (as opposed to the poor quality of the standard AV output on the Wii). The Wii2HDMI adapter can be bought on eBay new from about £6 with free delivery...although prices do vary between sellers for the same item.
    • wunferall
    • By wunferall 8th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wunferall
    Another vote here for Richer Sounds - but at under £500 you will struggle there.
    As alternatives, either Argos or AO.com have what you want.
    From looking it seems you'd have trouble finding a non-smart TV - but you don't have to use those functions. Also as has been said, from the major brands you will struggle finding any that have a scart socket.

Argos do a Bush 55" UHD Smart for £399 which has 2 x HDMI, a scart, & a component for your Wii. This Bush is probably made by Vestel and gets good reviews plus with Argos you stand a chance of seeing one in action, depending of course upon where you live.
    AO have a full HD Westinghouse 55" smart at £409. Again this will in all probability be another Vestel-made TV. It has 3 x HDMI plus the scart and a component input but (a biggie for me) no reviews.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 8th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Dandytf
    I purchased my Sony 43” 4k non ultra t.v. From Argo last year.
    Browsed various retailers/reviews.
    Ordered via Argo early afternoon-delivers same day early evening.
    Amazing service though self ijnstallation/setup which I enjoy.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2017 7380 paid. 50% ish...
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 8th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Dandytf
    This has scart though only 43”
    Via Argos-Sony KDL43WE753BU 43 Inch Smart Full HD TV with HDR.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    worried jim
    Any particular reason why? I tend find shops like these are busier in the afternoon and therefore have less time to help you.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    In Brighton they are often queuing out the door at 10am.

Start from £579 - https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/tv-projectors-label/55-59-tvs.html

Buy all my stuff in Richersounds. Five stars.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 8th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Dandytf
    55” with 1 scart socket.
    Sony KD55XE7002BU 55 Inch Smart 4K UHD TV with HDR
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 1,580 Thanks
    EssexExile
    by neilmcl
    In Brighton they are often queuing out the door at 10am.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Richer Sounds don't open in the morning, except by appointment.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 8th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    r2015
    This is MSE! Just move your armchair closer to the TV.
    Tried that but my wife couldn't see the TV then.
    Another year, past 71 now and getting even more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 8th Oct 17, 3:53 PM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 1,919 Thanks
    giraffe69
    I've just bought a 55" TV. I didn't find any with a scart socket when researching and all were billed as "smart" It was cheaper/better in the end to buy a new DVD player as some have already said than worry about yet another legacy connection. In the good old days you bought a TV and switched it on. Nowadays you need significant IT skills to set one up.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    worried jim
    Richer Sounds don't open in the morning, except by appointment.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Well that's why there is always a queue! You've saved me joining it next time. Thanks.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • googler
    • By googler 8th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 14,388 Posts
    • 9,300 Thanks
    googler
    As for Scart, I can't recall when I last saw this included on a TV.
    Originally posted by SouthUKMan
    I bought a Panasonic with a SCART, barely a few months ago

... and I haven't looked at the whole range, but the first three in their HD TV list all have composite video input, which will easily connect to a SCART device with easily-available adaptors.....
    Last edited by googler; 08-10-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,436Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin