Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • turtleneck
    • By turtleneck 7th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 94Posts
    • 14Thanks
    turtleneck
    Still living at home
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    Still living at home 7th Oct 17 at 9:06 PM
    I have moved out a couple of times (shared/lodged) but find myself in the family home aged 36. I pay no rent as they wont take any because i loaned /gifted them a large amount 10 years ago. I now have 110k in the bank plus 73k loaned to a couple of friends. I have over 4k coming in each month (salary and loans coming back) and not a lot going out (maybe 500 a month).
    A decent flat to live in costs 200-250k round here. Should i stay and keep saving and look to buy outright or is it urgent i find my own place sooner?
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 7th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    depends on your priorities and personal preference. Do your future partners mind your still living at home for example?

no shame in saving money or buying a house with a mortgage
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 13,648 Posts
    • 37,113 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    £183k is enough to buy a place of your own mortgage free in many parts of the country - even if its only a starter house.

I admit to wondering just why you are still living with parents.

Then - when one adds in:

1. That's not going to go down well with prospective partners - whichever sex you are.

2. If you stick around much longer you could find yourself becoming a de facto carer without having made a conscious decision to be one - ie if one/both of your parents become seriously ill at some point. Not a good position to "accidentally fall" into that and it's much more likely if you are still living there.

If you're a woman - then put reason 2. with bells on/capital letters/etc - even though its the 21st century. Many people dont seem to be aware of the date on the calendar/that they arent supposed to treat women worse than men. That's the theory - but (as a woman) I'm starting to get the feeling I'm probably getting more "meaningful would-be pressurising comments" than the other adult child my elderly parents have is (who happens to be a man).

Men do end up falling into being carers too - but I have the feeling that it's a lot more frequent for that to happen to women (despite it being the 21st century now).
    #MeToo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,633Posts Today

6,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin