Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 40,512Posts
    • 80,903Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Gretna Green elopement holiday piccy thread. Warning, adult themes.
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    Gretna Green elopement holiday piccy thread. Warning, adult themes. 7th Oct 17 at 8:43 PM
    After our Ireland adventure, we took the faerie to Scotland and then drove down to Gretna Green where my Lovely Cousin and I planned to elope, with her parents in hot pursuit.
    Well actually, they were extemely close behind, in the back seats to be precise.

Gretna Green became the place to go for English and Welsh sixteen to twenty one year olds who wanted to marry without their parents consent when the Marriage Act was introduced in 1754.

We visited the old Smithy where many marriages of young lovers on the run were carried out, and has now been turned into a combined museum, wedding venue, gift shop, and factory outlet experience.
    I was worried that the museum might be a bit tacky, but I actually found the history of the place and the exhibits quite interesting.

Some period wedding dresses.

The original anvil used in the eighteenth century. I'm not sure how you are supposed to beat a red hot ploughshare into shape with it inside a glass cabinet though.

The smithy, still used as a wedding venue, but with replacement anvil.

The Zumerzet runaways! She was nineteen when we got married. Had we not had her parents consent a hundred years and more ago we could have been making a run for Gretna ourselves.

One of several storyboards depicting some of the interesting and real events that resulted in a marriage in the smithy. One even involved John Wesley, he of the Wesleyan Chapel fame.

Sometimes the pursuers were so close behind the runaways that there wasn't time to organise a ceremony, so they were told to get into this bed. When their parents or agents arrived they would think the relationship was already consummated and the girl's, and therefore the family's reputation would be ruined.
    Consequently they would be allowed to marry after all.
    Note the baby's cot, and all the implications it was meant to convey.

Another of the four wedding venues within the building complex with an anvil specifically commissioned for but not limited to same sex marriages.

A close up of part of the very lifelike murial backdrop depicting runaways fighting off their pursuers which is allegedly based on a true event.

One of the more traditional venues.

It's not over until the paperwork is done.

The final venue, the Tack Room.

A gigantic glass case to protect the period carriages within.

More of the folk museum.

The carriage museum.
    Four passengers inside and sixteen on top.

Luxury. Only passengers within, drivers and footmenpersons without.

A more affordable version of transport.

... and now, what every high class wedding venue needs, a gift shop.

A whisky still full of grain in a bottle.

A world of whisky, or to be more precise, whisky in a world.

One piper piping. At least that's what I hope he is doing since his sporran is directly in front of the spigot.

Don't drink and drive.

A barrel of fun.

Pure filth! The Outlaws after 42 years together.

A tartan made for two.

Beauty and the ... scruffy bloke.

I am capable of scrubbing up a bit though when the need arises.

Whilst the smithy is now mainly a quaint place to get married, it still occasionally receives sixteen to eighteen year olds who want to marry without parental consent.

After all this excitement, we headed south across the border.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 07-10-2017 at 9:05 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
Page 1
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 7th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    I like museams.
    We went to Gretna when i was about 13, but it was only a 10min stop and i can't remember much. I think we may have only stayed outside.
    We were on a coach going to watch Liverpool play in Glasgow, and it stopped for everyone to have a wee.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Oct 17, 12:24 AM
    • 13,239 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:24 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:24 AM
    I "eloped" for my first marriage. The tackiness of Gretna didn't appeal so we went a bit further around the coast.

Not that it made much difference in the end.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 8th Oct 17, 12:54 AM
    • 40,512 Posts
    • 80,903 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:54 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:54 AM
    I "eloped" for my first marriage. The tackiness of Gretna didn't appeal so we went a bit further around the coast.

Not that it made much difference in the end.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Yes, Gretna wasn't the only place available, but was the nearest across the border from England that would immediately accommodate those in need of an urgent wedding.
    I don't have a sister.

• geminilady
    • By geminilady 8th Oct 17, 2:59 AM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 7,250 Thanks
    geminilady
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:59 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:59 AM
    great pictures but where did you get the faerie would love one
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 8th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 40,512 Posts
    • 80,903 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    great pictures but where did you get the faerie would love one
    Originally posted by geminilady
    Ah well, you can't see them unless you have the gift.
    I don't have a sister.

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 30,998 Posts
    • 114,211 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:20 PM

I can understand the glass case having to be humungous to house the carriages, but why do the info notices on the case also have to be mahoosive?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 8th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    We got married at Gretna 9 years ago this month. Not an elopement, as we had 36 of our nearest and dearest with us in the Smithy and I was a bit warm in my fur wrap - it rained horizontally the day before and the day after, but the day itself was beautiful and crisp.
    * Xmas 2018 #8 £0 / £365 * (2017 £496.53; 2016 £424.32) * SPCNo.11 #66
    (SPCNo.10 £682.31 * SPCNo.9 £442.64 * inc Quidco to 2/11/17 £249.69) *
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 8th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    Ah well, you can't see them unless you have the gift.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    So Fruity all i need is the 'gift', then perhaps i'll find someone that will elope with me.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Yes, Gretna wasn't the only place available, but was the nearest across the border from England that would immediately accommodate those in need of an urgent wedding.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Given the waiting list at Gretna nowadays, where something like 25% of all marriages in Scotland are conducted, there would be nothing "urgent" about it

Eloping under 18s that want to marry would do better at somewhere like Annan just up the railway line as there's not the wait!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 8th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 3,275 Posts
    • 97,621 Thanks
    missprice
    Oh I was just recently up that way, passed through Gretna and asked him indoors to marry me, he said "eh love, not right now"
    So I'm guessing another time and the answer maybe " ok chick"

Only been together a decade, I may ask again in another decade.
    Nice pics though
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 8th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    You could carry-on driving even further north. On Tv this morning, reading the papers on Andew Marr, was a Scottish woman and she showed a photo of 2 cows standing on a beach in the sunset, on one of the Scottish Isles. They were saying that it was sad that the population on some of the islands were falling so much when they were such beautiful places. They mentioned one isle that was trying to encourage young people to come to live there, by giving them free land and the offer of their own house, for £45.
    If you were living in one of our big cities and had to share a tiny damp bedsit, that's got to sound appealing.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 12-10-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 30,998 Posts
    • 114,211 Thanks
    Pyxis
    You could carry-on driving even further north. On Tv this morning, reading the papers on Andew Marr, was a Scottish woman and she showed a photo of 2 cows standing on a beach in the sunset, on one of the Scottish Isles. They were saying that it was sad that the population on some of the islands were falling so much when they were such beautiful places. They mentioned one isle that was trying to encourage young people to come to live there, by giving them free land and the offer of their own house, for £45.
    If you were living in one of our big cities and had to share a tiny damp bedsit, that's got to sound appealing.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    But what would you live on?

There was a guy on a programme the other day about sheep farming in Scotland, possibly on one of the islands, where the sheep run wild and are rounded up once a year. He was one of the few remaining people to do this, but he had originally made his money as a barrister, and then decided to give it all up and live this way of life.

If you were starting with nothing, though, how would you live, even if you were given the land and a house?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 8th Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 2,930 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    But what would you live on?

There was a guy on a programme the other day about sheep farming in Scotland, possibly on one of the islands, where the sheep run wild and are rounded up once a year. He was one of the few remaining people to do this, but he had originally made his money as a barrister, and then decided to give it all up and live this way of life.

If you were starting with nothing, though, how would you live, even if you were given the land and a house?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I think it was a Bbc4 programme a few months ago, about one of those islands and everyone had 3/4 jobs. A few did 'arty' type things, and sold jumpers, bobble hats, and paintings on the internet or to tourists who wanted B&B while bird watching. I suppose much of it depends upon how much you need people around you. But if there were so few few living there you'd know everyone, and could have a better social life than living lonely yet surrounded by people in a City.
    It's not the life for everyone, but neither is paying £1k a month for a small flat in London.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Oct 17, 12:28 AM
    • 19,697 Posts
    • 31,851 Thanks
    Spendless
    I told my under 18 yo son about Gretna earlier this year. We'd had a house party and my strait laced sis-in-law tutted about him having a drink. DS was 16, almost 17 at the time and said next time he'd reply that 'He was going to ride his moped up to Scotland to marry his pregnant girlfriend ane intended joining the army the following week or his aunt could just let him finish his beer'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,012Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter