Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lolly88
    • By Lolly88 7th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 213Posts
    • 677Thanks
    Lolly88
    Family Room vs Living Room
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    Family Room vs Living Room 7th Oct 17 at 8:23 PM
    I've been looking at properties for months now online and keep noticing houses with a dining room, a family room and a living room. The latter two rooms tend to be furnished in the exact same way i.e. sofa's with TV in the centre. I've looked it up on wikipedia and the description of a family room doesn't map onto what I'm seeing in houses. This is a really alien concept to me and I just don't quite understand the function.

Here's an example:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69170432.html

In that house if possible, I would be tempted to knock the wall down and just have one big living room.

Do people with these houses take turns sitting in the different rooms? I could almost understand if there is a big family and they have different viewing preferences etc. However as someone who is going to be buying alone and doesn't own or want to own a TV, I'm wondering about other uses for rooms like that?
    House Fund - £27461.69
    Save 7k in 2017 #6: £4461.69/£7,000
    Save 12k in 2016: £14,750/£12000 - Save 6k in 2015: £8250/£6000
Page 2
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Oct 17, 7:34 AM
    • 30,007 Posts
    • 17,934 Thanks
    getmore4less
    That's the exact same point i've made in this thread. I never said I was stumped by them existing. I clearly indicated that I was confused by how they had been laid out. I then asked for examples of how other people used such a space. Some people have kindly provided some helpful examples of how to use that space...I've just not generally seen that in houses online, it's nearly always two living rooms with sofa and TV and not much evidence from the images of how they are used differently.
    Originally posted by Lolly88

Typical layout/use for the older places would be front room(sitting room) back room(dining room) and a kitchen.

many get extended to create kitchen dining spaces freeing up the back rooms.

The sell to the family market(the biggest) is 2 daily living spaces rather than a formal dining room.

Even if they were used differently the "dress for sale suggestions" would be to revert to the 2 sitting room or sitting dining configuration.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 08-10-2017 at 7:36 AM.
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 8th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Absolutely as others have said its just a room and will describe it best as to who they think the main target audience is. It could be called a family room, possible bedroom, study, reception room, lounge etc.

Don't worry about what they are called just see it as a room and what you would use it for.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 8th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    As a family we were searching for a house with such a space for all the reasons mentioned already. We've found one and I can't wait to have my 'fancy' living room as a sanctuary while I chuck the rest of them in the family room
    Had it just been the two of us we would use the space for media and music I imagine, in the current house the third bedroom houses all that stuff (one child) and in our previous two-bed (no child) the second bedroom housed it all. In the next house part of the large garage is also converted so that will be the music and media space. I'm now contemplating how to use bedroom three...
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 8th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    HHarry
    It's just names. After finishing our extension we have a dining room, family room and reading room - because that's what we do in each room.
    Having a reading room sounds pretentious, but it is stuffed full of books, so really is the best description.

New owners can call it the dungeon for all I care!
    • missprice
    • By missprice 8th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 93,879 Thanks
    missprice
    Yeah its just a name. I have a different set up as in we have no spare rooms downstairs, although we could reinstate a wall and have a separate dining room. Yet we have two spare bedrooms upstairs. One is officially the office, made redundant now due to tablet computers, the other is storage for all the carp that OH "needs" . The storage bedroom could easily be a dressing room, the office could and may yet become a library.
    But officially they are bedrooms.
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 8th Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 7,989 Thanks
    KiKi
    I live alone and have two lounges. One is white, bright, watch lots of TV in there, spend most of my time in there - lovely room when the sun's out, but it's cooler and has access to the garden. The other is darker, with a TV and sofa and dining table where I sit and tend to work. I watch TV in there when the weather's horrible and I don't want to see the rain and grey outside! It's a good lounge for a cold Winter's evening.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    societys child
    I use mine for strangling goats.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Yes indeed, Wednesdays bible meetings, Friday night satanic worship, there's also the regular adult weekends to consider . . . A Room for all Seasons

• ProDave
    • By ProDave 8th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    ProDave
    We are building a new house.

At the insistance of SWMBO we are having the modern take on a "familly room" that combines the kitchen, a dining space and a lounge space and tv etc. Most "trendy" new houses seem to be built this way.

But I have insisted also on having a "snug lounge" well away from the kitchen. I just don't think I can tolerate sitting down to watch tv or listen to music with the fridge, and worse still the dishwasher in the same room.

As far as I am concerned the familly room is just a kitchen / diner.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 8th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    pinklady21
    We have a 3 bedroom house, with one bedroom set up as an office / study with a desk, bookshelves and a sofa in it. When Estate Agents came to look around before we put it on the market, one said that we couldn't leave the office as an office, as people would never be able to envisage a bed in there so would think of the house as only a 2 bedroom!
    While I didn't say it, I did think "well if they are so daft that they can't imagine a bed in there, possibly we won't be wanting to deal with them!" that is not a poke at the OP, simply it seems that in that agent's experience, some viewers lack imagination,hence why the second reception room is shown as a lounge in the example given in the OP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin