Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 7th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 2,177Posts
    • 478Thanks
    catoutthebag
    Boiler issue
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    Boiler issue 7th Oct 17 at 7:54 PM
    I have an old Worcester Bosch. I only turn it on when I need to shower/wash up or if it's cold.

The radiator in my bedroom wasn't working. I have boiler cover, so called British gas. Guy came out, said it was a pressure problem, appeared to sort it, but radiator didn't work when he left.

Called them out again, said it was a thermostat issue with the radiator, replaced it and it worked.

Since then, the ignition flame does not come on when I switch on the boiler. So no heat or water unless I press the red reset button.

No idea what he's done

Anything I can do before calling them out yet again

(Nb this lack of flame would rarely happen a couple years ago, but seemed to sort itself out quickly. I don't know what he's done, but I need to press it every bloody time since he's been)
Page 1
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 7th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    catoutthebag
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    Some other info

It's a Worcester Bosch 230
    Pressure currently fine at 2.2 approx

Hot Water setting is default to hot when boiler is on

Main 4 boiler settings are off, twice, once and on.

When boiler switch is on at the wall, I have setting to 'twice'. This warms the radiators slightly and produces hot water

I put it to 'on' when I need radiator hot in winter.

Currently, no flame with either twice or on. I need to press the reset button.
    AND, the reset button won't work with 'twice' only 'on'

Just tried:
    When I put 'twice' on now, you can hear a noise from the boiler, Like it's trying to get going, for about 20 seconds, before it all goes silence.
    I then hit 'on' which created the ignition flame without the reset button.

I just want it to work on my usual 'twice' setting as I just need hot water nor usually heat til Nov to Jan
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 7th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    Any room thermostat anywhere set low that could be over riding the boiler? A few boilers turn on the pump and ensure the water is circulating before lighting the flame, if circulation fails they don't light. Check for air locks by bleeding all radiators. Does your boiler have a spanner button? This forces the boiler to light and work (safely) regardless of secondary settings for engineer to check flame / flue etc. Try this if it has one.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 8th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    Pressing a RED reset button (or one of any colour) usually means that something has gone wrong that needs the owner to intervene, having checked the cause of the red button incident. Most common is flame failure or failure to light, possibly because the ignition probes need replacing or realigning. Is there any other light on at the time you press reset? Is the reset button illuminated? Have you looked in the operators manual to see why you have to reset?
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    Leave the power onto the boiler, the electronics don’t like the power keep being turned off in fact if it was a Glowworm you would have already blown the pcb by now
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,057Posts Today

9,569Users online

Martin's Twitter