Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sovauye
    • By sovauye 7th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sovauye
    PIP assessment- the useless point!
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    PIP assessment- the useless point! 7th Oct 17 at 7:35 PM
    Anyone else noticed this?

For section 3 (managing therapy) part (a) scores 1 point if awarded. But what use is this point if awarded? Every other points that can be awarded are all in multiples of 2, and the target scores to reach are also in multiples of 2.
Page 1
    • fumin37
    • By fumin37 7th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    fumin37
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    Whats the point indeed !they are having a laugh arnt they ...
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 16,338 Posts
    • 28,611 Thanks
    Ames
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    I think it's a psychological thing, they think that one point will 'feel' better than zero points. As if it's the difference between 'they don't believe anything I said' and 'at least they believe I have some problems'.

There was a similar thing with one of the older benefits, where one point was awarded for 'claimant thinks that work will worsen their condition'.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 8th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    There is one PIP descriptor that carries 3 points -
    4e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower. 3 points.

Mostly useless, then!

However, it can be helpful on appeal depending on the reason for the aid.
    If needed because of memory problems - then it may be possible to argue that the HCP has acknowledged memory difficulties, but failed to consider other activities for which memory difficulties would mean the claimant would not perform the descriptors reliably, to an acceptable standard, etc.
    • Uglymug
    • By Uglymug 16th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Uglymug
    • 16th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 16th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    There's another anomaly.
    On the moving around you could get 0, 4, 8, 10 or 12 points.
    There's a descriptor that give 10 points, which is enough to give standard rate for mobility, to get enhanced rate you'd then need an extra 2 points from planning. Unfortunately there's no 2 point descriptor so you'll need to get at least 4 points.
    So there can be no possible difference in the outcome between these 2 descriptors:-
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    The 10 point descriptor is redundant.
    Last edited by Uglymug; 16-10-2017 at 1:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin