Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joana c
    • By Joana c 7th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joana c
    EU citizen, credit card newbie - help!
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    EU citizen, credit card newbie - help! 7th Oct 17 at 7:22 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum and to be honest completely credit card naÔve. I have been thinking for a long time to get a credit card but always been too worried about getting one and thus delayed the decision. Mostly I was worried to be rejected and have my credit rate messed up. Unfortunately that is exactly what happened. As such I would like some advice as to what to do next. I am a Portuguese woman living in the UK for exactly 5 years this week. Work for the NHS for 4 of those 5 years, full time, permanent 20k+ per year. I have a loan since the beginning of the year, which I used to buy my car. I am a private Tennant. My bank has always been Santander though the bank who rejected me was Lloyd's. I wanted a 0% purchase interest credit card to be able to improve credit rating and maybe spread the cost of a couple of things I have to buy. However I am not afraid of trying again. What should I do? Any advice on how to improve likelihood of being approved, or what might be going wrong? I had 3 different addresses in the last 15 months, though I am hoping to stabilise where I am now.
    Thank you in advance.
    Joana
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 24,251 Posts
    • 11,534 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    Ask Santander first - they will know how you run your account - if they won't give you a card try for a credit building one such as Aqua.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 14,331 Posts
    • 15,095 Thanks
    zx81
    One credit search will have little impact on your credit files.

Try an eligibility checker, or try for a sub prime provider.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 8th Oct 17, 4:27 AM
    • 6,435 Posts
    • 3,390 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:27 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:27 AM
    Consider Aqua. An EU tenant of mine was recently accepted despite having been in the UK for just a year. Once you've had that for a few months then look at cards offering the 0% deals etc.

Your Lloyds "rejection" won't have messed up your credit files. First of all, they don't record the outcome of a search. Secondly, there is nothing with having the odd search in your history.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    If you have never held a credit card before you are very unlikely to be offered a card with a long 0% purchase period.
    Try one of the credit builder cards, such as Aqua, or your own bank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter