Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Saga
    • By Saga 7th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Saga
    PAYG question
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    PAYG question 7th Oct 17 at 7:20 PM
    I am with Vodafone on PAYG and have a Sony Xperia Aqua M4, which was £125 when I got it about about 2 years ago. I am a comparatively light user so no need for zillions of texts and GBs of data allowance. Thankfully, I've not had issues with Vodafone, but I'm aware lots of people have.

I am now looking to replace it with another PAYG about the same price, at least 16 GB internal storage (hated that HALF of the 8 GB on the Aqua was swallowed up by Android OS!). While I would prefer to stay with Vodafone & a Sony, what's the best replacement phone to go for? Sorry, not really au fait with these things. Ta
    ---
    100% debt-free!
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    I am now looking to replace it with another PAYG
    Originally posted by Saga
    You don't need to buy a phone with with a PAYG SIM included, if that's what you mean, you can choose any handset SIM-free and insert the SIM that's in your current phone (with your phone number).

I don't know about Sony phones now available, but for Android the Moto G5 series (or cheaper G4) and the Samsung Galaxy J series seem popular.
    • Saga
    • By Saga 7th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Saga
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    You don't need to buy a phone with with a PAYG SIM included, if that's what you mean, you can choose any handset SIM-free and insert the SIM that's in your current phone (with your phone number).

I don't know about Sony phones now available, but for Android the Moto G5 series (or cheaper G4) and the Samsung Galaxy J series seem popular.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Ta. Am I right in thinking I have to get such a handset unlocked?
    ---
    100% debt-free!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    Ta. Am I right in thinking I have to get such a handset unlocked?
    Originally posted by Saga
    If you buy a new 'SIM-free' handset it will not be locked to any network, whereas a phone that includes a PAYG SIM will normally be locked to the network of that SIM.

If you want to continue using your Vodafone SIM in a new phone, it needs to be an unlocked handset or one that is locked to Vodafone.

If, for example, you find a deal for the handset you want that is cheaper with a Vodafone PAYG SIM than one that is SIM-free, you could buy that and use your own SIM instead of the one supplied with the handset. But in general, an unlocked SIM-free handset is preferable.
    Last edited by eDicky; 07-10-2017 at 8:50 PM.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 7th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    AS suggested, Moto G5 is decent option - example of SIM free here - buy it, put your current sim in, that's it

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g5.html#!colour=gold&capacity=16GB&dealType=sf
    • Saga
    • By Saga 8th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Saga
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    Thanks everyone.
    ---
    100% debt-free!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

910Posts Today

5,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin