Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 7th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    POPLA Appeal For Smart Parking Ltd
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    POPLA Appeal For Smart Parking Ltd 7th Oct 17 at 7:17 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this, so please forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong.

My vehicle was recently captured on camera entering and leaving a Smart Parking Ltd car park, without purchasing a ticket. Being the registered keeper of the vehicle, I've received a PCN through the post. After speaking to the driver, they have assured me that one pay machine was signed as out of order and the other three would not accept any of the coins they had (I have been supplied a photo of the out of order machine). They then tried to pay via phone, but the automated service kept sending them back to the beginning of the process and wouldn't take payment.

As they were now late for a important appointment and out of payment options, they had to give up and attend the appointment. They also informed me that the signage in the car park wasn't clear from all areas and the there was too much information on the signs, with unclear indication to any parking charge penalties. I have checked this myself and the signs are very cluttered ad unclear.

after receiving the PCN today, I immediately submitted an appeal via the Smart Parking Ltd website, using the template on the 'NEWBIES' thread. I am anticipating the 'POPLA' stage and would like to get one step ahead by preparing my POPLA appeal letter.

As previously stated I am new to forums in general, so I apologise if I missing something really obvious, but could someone please help me with a relevant appeal letter?

I would appreciate any help at all and thank you all in advance
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 33,482 Posts
    • 17,361 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    Everyone is politely asked not to start a new thread until they have read the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum

POPLA appeals are covered there comprehensively,but you do need to construct your own (lots of links are included in the FAQ)

Post yours up here for comment.

As you just did your initial appeal today you have plenty of time to draft a POPLA appeal (and can await your code before starting on it)
    • LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 24th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    • 24th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 24th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    Like I said earlier, I used the appeal template from the NEWBIE thread. In the template it gives the parking company 21 days to reply. What happens if they don’t reply within that time frame?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 24th Oct 17, 11:26 PM
    • 51,672 Posts
    • 65,330 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 24th Oct 17, 11:26 PM
    • 24th Oct 17, 11:26 PM
    It doesn't, it merely mentions 21 days as regards a Section 10 Notice, not 21 days for them to actually supply a POPLA code. They have 35 days to do that, so wait and come back when you get the POPLA code/rejection letter.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 11th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    So I submitted my appeal to smart parking 35 days ago, on the 7/10. I have not had any kind of response from them yet. What does this mean? Has their time ran out?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Nov 17, 10:43 AM
    • 33,482 Posts
    • 17,361 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:43 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:43 AM
    So I submitted my appeal to smart parking 35 days ago, ....
    Originally posted by LovesFORrocks

(Your OP says you sent the appeal in yesterday?? - Are you now asking about a different appeal altogether you made 35 days ago?)

.....after receiving the PCN today, I immediately submitted an appeal via the Smart Parking Ltd website, using the template on the 'NEWBIES' thread. I am anticipating the 'POPLA' stage and would like to get one step ahead by preparing my POPLA appeal letter.
    Originally posted by LovesFORrocks
    Await the outcome of your appeal(s) and if unsuccessful then follow the advice regarding POPLA in #2 and #4
    Last edited by Quentin; 11-11-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    • LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 11th Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    My OP was on the 7/10. You replied to it in the same day Quentin. Coupon-mad states that they had 35 days to respond, so I was just curios to know what happens after that 35 days
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 33,482 Posts
    • 17,361 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    Apologies - my mistake.

But the advice is the same.
    • LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 11th Nov 17, 11:02 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    • 11th Nov 17, 11:02 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 11:02 AM
    Ok, so 35 days means nothing?

Thanks for the reply
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 15,874 Posts
    • 24,612 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    The BPA Code of Practice states that they should determine your appeal within 35 days. If it drags on much longer then it’s complaints time to the BPA and DVLA.

steve.c@britishparking.co.uk

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

But you might just want to check on the Smart website to see what the current status of the charge is - they may have already cancelled it on receiving a forum-style appeal.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 11th Nov 17, 6:54 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    Thanks you, Umkomaas.

I’ll check the website before submitting any complaints.
    • LovesFORrocks
    • By LovesFORrocks 27th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LovesFORrocks
    I checked the smart parking website and my PCN was still active and awaiting payment, so I contacted BPA and copied in DVLA on Friday. After a quick investigation, I was told tha Smart parking apparently corn formed receipt of my appeal via email on the day that I appealed (I never received it) and then contacted me via email again on the 21st Oct to tell me that my appeal had been accepted (again, I never received it). I think they had no intention of contacting me and their plan was to pass my PCN straight to a debt collector. Good job I complained when I did.

Also guys, you may be interested to that I was told by BPA that Smart Parking Ltd don’t rely on POFA 2012. I don’t know if this will change how you’d approach appealing against them, but I thought it might be good to share it with you all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,125Posts Today

6,578Users online

Martin's Twitter