Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AfriQ31
    • By AfriQ31 7th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    AfriQ31
    Comping email advice
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    Comping email advice 7th Oct 17 at 5:04 PM
    Hi,

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place! I'm not sure if I'm just not searching for the right terms but I can't find an answer. Probably because it's obvious but here it is:

When creating a comping email, do people use their real names or a pseudonym? And even for those that do not use a pseudonym, do they keep it simple, like just initials for the first name (i don't even know if that is allowed). I am not sure if that would potentially cause a problem if one was to win...

Thanks for your help and patience!
Page 1
    • janE1956
    • By janE1956 7th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    janE1956
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    if the comp asks for name and address in e mail surely you have to put that they are not going to post to a made up odd name
    well that is my idea anyway
    • AfriQ31
    • By AfriQ31 7th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    AfriQ31
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    Thank you for responding!

I was thinking more about if when creating my email address I use a pseudonym e.g. Lion Ness, but when I am asked for my name on entry I use my real name does it raise flags if the entered name and name associated with the email do not match?
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 7th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 17,008 Thanks
    Misslayed
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:25 PM

I was thinking more about if when creating my email address I use a pseudonym e.g. Lion Ness, but when I am asked for my name on entry I use my real name does it raise flags if the entered name and name associated with the email do not match?
    Originally posted by AfriQ31
    I don’t think it will make any difference. If your name was (for eg) John Smith, you wouldn’t be able to use it anyway. My comping email bears very little relation to my actual name (except to those who know me). Hasn’t stopped me winning
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • AfriQ31
    • By AfriQ31 7th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    AfriQ31
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    Thank you both. It sounds incredibly silly but I have seriously not started comping yet because of this issue since I first wanted to over a year ago . Plus I want to use that account for iPlayer etc. and don't want them having all my deets...

Thanks again! Looking forward to getting started
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 7th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 34,830 Posts
    • 225,580 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    It probably doesn't make any difference but I would avoid things like Professionalcomper@winsalotof.prizes or any other indications what the account is used for, maybe avoid including MSE in the address and avoid any offense terms - apart from that have whatever you like.
    • janE1956
    • By janE1956 7th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,288 Thanks
    janE1956
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:28 PM

sorry missunderstood, no don't think it would matter and as said above you couldn't use a common name anyway.
    • ChamomileTao
    • By ChamomileTao 8th Oct 17, 1:38 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    ChamomileTao
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:38 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:38 AM
    I always make mine sound vaguely like it might be a business email address ie 'yours is the only competition I have ever entered... honestly!' and yes under no circumstances use anything like 'I'm_a_winner@sellingmyprizes.net'
    • pate-ci0
    • By pate-ci0 8th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 11,111 Thanks
    pate-ci0
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    Plus I want to use that account for iPlayer etc. and don't want them having all my deets...

Thanks again! Looking forward to getting started
    It's generally recommended that you use a dedicated email account for comping, cos you will get hundreds of spam emails and newsletters after a while which interferes with any other use you have for that account.

You can have any name you like for the email account; since the inception of the Internet there has been no necessary correlation between the account name and the personal name.

Go for it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

230Posts Today

2,593Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin