Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roytom
    • By roytom 7th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 260Posts
    • 35Thanks
    roytom
    Listening to radio
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    Listening to radio 7th Oct 17 at 5:01 PM
    I’ve got an ancient HiFi setup that I seldom use that has gothic separates ie. amp, wired speakers, tuner, CD player, cassette player...

How do people listen to radio at the moment? I think I need to buy Bluetooth speakers, or a single Bluetooth speaker, but to play radio from what?

Thanks
Page 1
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 7th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    I use a basic DAB radio, which does me fine. Speakers in these modern small units are pretty good. I imagine that someone who is more into their music quality might want something better.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 7th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    Stream to my Amazon Echo
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 7th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 10,949 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    I’ve got an ancient HiFi setup that I seldom use that has gothic separates ie. amp, wired speakers, tuner, CD player, cassette player...

How do people listen to radio at the moment? I think I need to buy Bluetooth speakers, or a single Bluetooth speaker, but to play radio from what?

Thanks
    Originally posted by roytom
    I'm mainly around my pc upstairs but I use a soundstream 93i, the sound from it is very good, like you I have a tower of seperates including AV and minidisc,, when I get around to having the house refurbed, I will just keep an network reciever amp and speakers.
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 7th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    I too have an old, but good, separates HiFi system. I have a little Bluetooth gadget (make is Logitech). It outputs to phono plugs, which go to my amplifier AUX sockets. Using this I can stream internet radio from phone, tablet or Amazon Dot. Or play downloaded music from tablet and phone. Ticks all the boxes for about £15.
    • Broadwood
    • By Broadwood 7th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Broadwood
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    If I'm on here (desktop) I usually listen to any BBC station or Planet Rock on headphones while the wife has the TV on in the living room. The Flac lossless trial (Firefox browser only) on BBC R3 which ended when the 2017 Proms finished was the best radio sound I've ever heard but I never got round to wiring the hi-fi up to the pc sound output to try it on floor-standing speakers. Still sounded excellent on Sony headphones though.

If the wife is out and I want the radio on speakers in the living room I have the Freeview recorder wired to the big hi-fi via phono leads. I think Freeview radio is at least as good quality as DAB. Just a pity Planet Rock isn't on Freeview yet.
    Studying at The University of Life.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 7th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    I listen to the radio on my ancient HiFi setup that has gothic separates ie. amp, wired speakers, tuner, CD player (no cassette any more).
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 13,685 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    Sonos speakers around the house.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 7th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 7,585 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    I also have a system with separates. Though I get my radio through the Sky box, which then goes through the amplifier to the speakers down wires.

Sadly none of it has a particularly gothic feel, though my main speakers (KEF 104AB) are 40 years old now. The amplifier is newer and can do 9.2 channel audio, take 4K HDMI inputs etc. But it's all still separates.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 8th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    I have freesat from Sky and mostly listen to radio using this, via a very old Sky box. Only really listen to talk radio, so not much bothered by audio quality, though it's better via the Sky box than on DAB.
    • googler
    • By googler 8th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 14,388 Posts
    • 9,300 Thanks
    googler
    If the tuner still works, why not use that, since you have (probably) an amp and speakers that will outperform most all Bluetooth speakers.

Failing that, any phone or pad with an internet connection will pick up any BBC station through their iPlayer Radio app, or all manner of Internet Radio Stations through its web browser ..... a freeview, Sky or cable box will also fulfil the role, as mentioned above
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 8th Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Tiexen

Thanks
    If you have a smart phone (or a tablet), a cheap 6mm headphone plug to a pair of RCA plugs will give you internet radio
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 8th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 16,966 Posts
    • 27,573 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    I have a DAB radio in the kitchen and an Amazon Dot for upstairs - that pairs with a bluetooth speaker.

You should be able to buy a bluetooth receiver if you want to 'enable' you old kit to work with phones/Amazon echos. There's no point getting rid of good audio kit!

Sometimes I run a cable from my sky box over to my Denon mini-system if I want the radio in nicer quality.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 8th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    RumRat
    Gave up on Radio's a while back. Using Google Home Hub for day to day radio and music.
    If I want to fill a room or the house with music the same Hub will cast to any room I have speakers in.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 6,959 Posts
    • 3,206 Thanks
    buglawton
    Youth of today unable to use a radio:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-41437574/radio-1-at-50-but-where-is-it
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 9th Oct 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    If you have a smart phone (or a tablet), a cheap 6mm headphone plug to a pair of RCA plugs will give you internet radio
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    I doubt it as most are 3.5mm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,006Posts Today

9,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin