Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sanova76
    • By sanova76 7th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 5Thanks
    sanova76
    actual salary you'll be getting
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    actual salary you'll be getting 7th Oct 17 at 2:33 PM
    Hi,

How do I know the actual salary for a job if it quoted £17.000-£19.000? Should I always assumed I'll be getting the lowest (starter) salary?

Is it possible you'll be getting somewhere in between (i.e £18.000) if you have the skills/experience?

Thanks.

San
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 9,513 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    Hi,

How do I know the actual salary for a job if it quoted £17.000-£19.000? Should I always assumed I'll be getting the lowest (starter) salary?

Is it possible you'll be getting somewhere in between (i.e £18.000) if you have the skills/experience?

Thanks.

San
    Originally posted by sanova76

You ask them
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 7th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    indianabones
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:15 PM
    Avoid talking about salary for as long as possible. Then use your best judgement in the F2F interview to ask for a reasonable salary. I went for a recent interview and I got the job, but wasn't asked about salary till F2F interview. I told them the highest figure in their salary bracket. No real hesitation, but by then I knew they were desperate. In hindsight I should have asked for 2k more. I reckon with some haggling I would have got it.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 37,738 Posts
    • 34,072 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    You ask them
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Mostly this, because some employers will ALWAYS start you on the lowest, and the maximum they quote is what you might be able to work up to over the course of a few years.

And the only way you'll know that is to ask.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 7th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    Start low, pass probation or work there a year, it goes up.

If you convince them to let you start high then dont expect a settling in period, you had better hit the ground running.
    • hxm
    • By hxm 7th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    hxm
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    In the NHS (and I assume other public sector jobs) there is a pay banding. You would normally start on the lowest pay in the banding and work your way up with an annual increment to the highest. But there is an overlap, so if you were at the top of your band and moved to a job in the next band, your salary would not drop, you would probably start on the same pay (the middle of the next band) and then move up with annual increments.If the job advertised is for a private company, and they are not stating a fixed salary, I guess it is negotiable between those two figures
    • sanova76
    • By sanova76 7th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sanova76
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    thanks for the all the replies.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 7th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    If you convince them to let you start high then dont expect a settling in period, you had better hit the ground running.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    Yes but someone's salary doesn't have to be indicative of how hard they can work or the stimulation of that work. : ( I can remember being so flat out on 16k previous, yet for danger money of nearer 20k it's a cuppa on the hour, every hour. Crackers really.

Another spin on brackets OP is if this is a sales orientated role is the lower bracket of salary can be a basic with the higher being the achievable OTE - brackets can mean so many things : /

Even if above doesn't apply - I was always conditioned and used to think you shouldn't talk money early on but now actually think if and where possible it helps determine if job is genuine/serious about filling early days or whether it's an employer on a 'fishing trip'.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 8th Oct 17, 1:01 AM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 2,915 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:01 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:01 AM
    Is it private sector? If so, how much do you want the job? If you wouldn't take it for less than 19k, ask for 19k. If you'd take it for 17, take it for 17K. Nobody else can tell you what to do. If they want you enough, they'll pay what you ask for. It's such a tiny range anyway that if they want you they will probably pay the 19.

If it's public sector then they will offer you whatever they are supposed to.
    • mortgageFTB
    • By mortgageFTB 8th Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    mortgageFTB
    Depends on how much they want you as well. When I got my current job, I indicated 55-60k range.

When I got offered the job, they came back with 62k.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 8th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 2,915 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Depends on how much they want you as well. When I got my current job, I indicated 55-60k range.

When I got offered the job, they came back with 62k.
    Originally posted by mortgageFTB
    I can't imagine a company that would want somebody enough to pay them 17K but not enough to pay them 19K.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 8th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    If its a private company start on as much as you possibly can, its easier to negotiate now when they want you, than it is when you are in the job and they have already got you.

Also think about what else is important to you, you can negotiate on. I have never negotiated pay as as long as I have enough to live off its not important to me, my working hours are more important so I always negotiate these instead.
    • Alarae
    • By Alarae 8th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Alarae
    When I was changing career sectors from property to a trainee tax role with full study support the banding was 18-20k. The only knowledge I had of tax was from studying revenue law at university a couple of years earlier; not true exposure as it was more of how the laws were made, not how to actually calculate taxes.

Had the interview, was frank with them and said I couldn't justify taking less than 20k as I had commitments already. Went back a couple of days later for an informal chat to meet the other managers and was offered the job there and then at the figure I asked for.

Now at 26k after 18 months with one qualification behind me and hopefully a rise to mid-30s next August once I pass my next qualification.

Just go in with confidence. If you think you are worth a certain amount, then you need to tell them.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 9th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 3,077 Posts
    • 4,472 Thanks
    Malthusian
    I can't imagine a company that would want somebody enough to pay them 17K but not enough to pay them 19K.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Depends how many people willing to do the job for 17k there are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,264Posts Today

7,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin