Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mw2017
    • By Mw2017 7th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mw2017
    Britannia Parking - No acknowledgement of my appeal
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    Britannia Parking - No acknowledgement of my appeal 7th Oct 17 at 1:39 PM
    I can't find any other thread where someone has been in this situation so apologies if this has been covered before. I really need some advice.

Around 3/4 months ago I started getting debt recovery letters claiming that I owed money to Britannia Parking for a PCN.

I tried to appeal this on BPs website but an automated onscreen message said they could not find my PCN number and that I needed to email. I sent an email to the provided address with an appeal based on the fact I'd never received a PCN and used the appeal template found On one of the other threads on MSE. I got an automated response saying that they do not accept appeals via email unless there was a problem with the online form in which case to ignore the message.

Over a week later I had a generic reply to my appeal saying they do not accept appeals via email and that i needed to apply via the website or letter. Annoyed, I replied saying that I'd already tried that and showing proof of the website message where it said to appeal via email as my PCN could not be found, proof of the automated message saying to 'ignore this message if I'd tried to appeal online already' and asked them to process my appeal. The next day I got the same generic message.

Even more annoyed now, I wrote a two page letter explaining the circumstances with the printed emails as evidence and highlighting my disgust at the bullying debt collector letters I'd been receiving considering I hadn't had any PCN in the first place. I never got a response.

2 debt collectors letters later threatening court action and telling me how my credit score would be affected (which I thought wasn't possible according to the threads on here) I finally snapped. The man on the phone was extremely unhelpful, checked BPs system which has no record of any of my appeals ever being received and basically told me I needed to pay the fine, to which I said I wouldn't as they haven't responded to my appeals and I have evidence of them (although stupidly I didn't get a receipt of postage for the written letter). He said if I have evidence then to save it and 'show it in court'.

I could really use some help with this as I'm getting increasingly stressed by it. I have no objection to paying warranted, reasonable parking fines, but in this case I never got an initial PCN - just threatening letters and no acknowledgement of my attempts to appeal.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 33,500 Posts
    • 17,375 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    Everyone is politely asked not to start a new thread before first reading up on the process in the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum

There you will learn about ignoring debt collectors too!

You haven't been "fined", so stop stressing.

You can ignore everything except a lbcca or court correspondence

Come back for advice should these arrive

They have 6 years to start legal proceedings
    • Mw2017
    • By Mw2017 7th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mw2017
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    I did read as much as I could find in the newbies FAQ and on other threads however there is nothing that advises on what to do if you've tried to appeal a PCN numerous times but Britannia is not acknowledging receipt of your appeals.

I can simply ignore which is what I've tried to do but I'd rather it didn't get to a point where they're trying to summon me to court if I an avoid it. Especially since I have genuinely tried to appeal!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 33,500 Posts
    • 17,375 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    You have written to them and they ignored you - there's not a lot more you can do except wait and see if they do contact you regarding a court claim. (You won't get a "summons"! Have you even checked how often they've gone to court??)

Definitely don't engage with the debt collectors again!
    Last edited by Quentin; 07-10-2017 at 3:31 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,103Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter