Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Should reg comps be posted on the main board?

Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12

36.84% • 42 votes

Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted

43.86% • 50 votes

Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?

6.14% • 7 votes

Any other suggestions?

2.63% • 3 votes

Not posting them on the main board at all

11.40% • 13 votes

You may not vote on this poll

114 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 7th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 5,295Posts
    • 88,835Thanks
    Blulu
    Should regs be posted on main board?
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    Should regs be posted on main board? 7th Oct 17 at 1:39 PM
    A brief discussion on another thread has prompted me to ask, should we be posting regular comps on the main board?

I think we should. When a new comp is posted directly to the regs, I'm sure that lots of us miss out on seeing them. I would have them posted on the main board, and then linking that post to the regulars board. I don't know what the best system would be:

1) Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12

2) Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted

3) What about posting them all with an end date E: 31/13? Would this prevent them from being expired?

4) Any other suggestions?

5) Not posting them on the main board at all.

I have added a poll. Please vote, or if you are not sure, wait to see how the discussion goes and you can vote later when you've decided. Feel free to discuss/explain your choice.

Blu X
    Last edited by Blulu; 07-10-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
Page 3
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 10th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 88,835 Thanks
    Blulu
    Like I said earlier, if every comp gets posted on the main, it is going to be manic when the Advents start! There are 100s od Advent dailies!
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    Apologies Blue Gal. I didn't realise you meant this as a reason not to post regulars on the main board. It's a good and important point. I assume the Advents would be done as they always have been. That shouldn't be a problem because everyone knows where to look for them.

Blu X
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 10th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 9,182 Posts
    • 320,330 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Apologies Blue Gal. I didn't realise you meant this as a reason not to post regulars on the main board. It's a good and important point. I assume the Advents would be done as they always have been. That shouldn't be a problem because everyone knows where to look for them.

Blu X
    Originally posted by Blulu
    except anyone who has joined mse throughout the year - but as long as they are told then all should be ok
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 10th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 35,472 Posts
    • 232,495 Thanks
    mjm3346
    If we make no other change, the very least we should agree on is to change this, so that every comp is posted on the main board.
    Which (apart from clicktowins) they already should be anyway.

The regulars section is mainly there as convenience to the members that use it, an alternative to removing it would be to disregarded it for the purposes of merging anything from outside the regulars with it, so duplicates in regulars would still be merged with posts in regulars and duplicates on main would still be merged with other posts on main but nothing on main would be merged with anything in regulars.
    So if the ongoing "welly boots" competition in regulars was posted on main (with any chosen date) it would stay there to it's expiry date.

(I think all the lottery style ones would comfortably fit on one post, dated say for the end of each month, and it would take almost no effort to quote/copy across for each month.
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 12th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 88,835 Thanks
    Blulu
    So, we seem to be letting this one drop. I think that would be a shame. I don't know how we go about making anything actually change?

From what Glad said, I think she is waiting for us to decide what we want, and then, assuming she is OK with whatever we decide, she will do what she can to make it happen.

In my 'humble' opinion, there is a clear preference for listing all the reg comps on the main board, apart from the Advents and C2Ws. We haven't necessarily agreed on the best system, but we shouldn't let that scupper the whole thing. We could just opt for either system, and then change it later if we want to?

Glad mentioned that the last time it was discussed, the decision was to list some of the on-going ones directly to the regs board. So I would say that we have now agreed to change that.

The issue remains, what end date to use with on-going comps. I keep repeating the options. But none of us seem to feel we have authority to make a choice. I hope this isn't too cheeky, but I'm going to ask Glad, can you recommend what end date you think would be best to use for on-going, non-expiring comps. Or would you prefer we did another poll to gauge opinion? To me, it is 100% about which would be the easiest/most effective. I think it is obvious that the best end date to use would be one that would never automatically expire. I will ask again, is that possible?

As to which system to use, Glad, would you need us to run another poll on this before putting one of them into practice? Or could we perhaps leave it to Glad to decide, as the voting is so close on it?

Then there are the other issues raised. We have had some discussion about the possibility of closing the Regs board, or changing the name. Should we open more polls about these?

Surely having got this far, we should see it through and get everything sorted, and as soon as possible too, before the onslaught of Advents hits us.

Glad, do you have any suggestions as to how we can proceed and move the discussion forward, so that you have enough information to action it?

It would be such a shame to let this just drop, only for it to crop up again and again. Even now, the on-going comp that I found, which prompted this discussion, still isn't posted on the main board or the regs, as far as I am aware. I will happily post it on the main board, once I know what end date to give it.

Yours doggedly

Blu X
    • toniq
    • By toniq 12th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 28,263 Posts
    • 608,441 Thanks
    toniq
    Am I reading wrong? are you suggesting moving advents to reg board?
    x
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• Blulu
    • By Blulu 12th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 88,835 Thanks
    Blulu
    Am I reading wrong? are you suggesting moving advents to reg board?
    x
    Originally posted by toniq
    Good grief no. I'm saying that Advents should stay as they are. I don't even remember where the Advent thread lives, but whichever board it has been on, it should stay there. People will always find the advents. You can't really miss them. I'm saying that Advents and C2Ws should be outside the remit of this discussion.

Blu X
    • toniq
    • By toniq 12th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 28,263 Posts
    • 608,441 Thanks
    toniq
    Phew, That scared me a moment!

x
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• morningpostie
    • By morningpostie 12th Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 119,262 Thanks
    morningpostie
    The comp threads in Regs could just be moved to main, and left titled as they are. If it's an ongoing never ending comp then E: DAILY, E: WEEKLY, it's fairly obvious that it's a daily or weekly, you could even put which day it's drawn on in the title. Ongoing Monthlies have always been reposted every month so that's all fine.

Weeklies and Dailies that have a kill date, they can just be left as they are again with E: 08/12 Win some stuff (weekly).
    Originally posted by renegadia
    Would this not work?
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 12th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 39,569 Posts
    • 6,231,343 Thanks
    One-Eye
    The issue remains, what end date to use with on-going comps. I keep repeating the options.
    Originally posted by Blulu
    If you choose a real date such as 31/12 this will:-
    a) cause problems for end daters who sort the board by end date as the ongoing regs will be mixed in with dozens of normal comps ending 31/12.
    b) The ongoing regs will be moved to Game Over as part of normal procedures (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and will have to be posted anew. If the new post is also to have 31/12 as an end date, you will have to wait until the mass movement to Game Over has finished before posting.
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 12th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 88,835 Thanks
    Blulu
    If you choose a real date such as 31/12 this will:-
    a) cause problems for end daters who sort the board by end date as the ongoing regs will be mixed in with dozens of normal comps ending 31/12.
    b) The ongoing regs will be moved to Game Over as part of normal procedures (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and will have to be posted anew. If the new post is also to have 31/12 as an end date, you will have to wait until the mass movement to Game Over has finished before posting.
    Originally posted by One-Eye
    Thanks One-Eye, that is a seriously good point. You just have to think how many comps have an end date of 31/12. I still think using E: 00/00 might be best, unless someone knows a good reason not to. It will also mean that end daters can easily search for on-going comps when they want to. I don't know if doing it this way would mean they would expire or not, but as you say, it might not be so terrible if they have to be reposted once a year.

Blu X
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 35,472 Posts
    • 232,495 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Excluding the various lottery competitions what/how many other competitions are there that do not fit the current criteria* to be posted on main anyway (in other words they may not be posted at the moment but there is nothing stopping it other than no one doing it)

*That's all monthly, all weekly (fresh each week), Mag dailies etc
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 35,472 Posts
    • 232,495 Thanks
    mjm3346
    As the posts/votes on this thread represent just a small number of the main section users - perhaps to be seen by most (they may or may not choose to vote) a final poll would be best on main and include an option to change nothing.
    • TickTwo
    • By TickTwo 12th Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 197,410 Thanks
    TickTwo
    Comping on MSE won't work it never has & will not in the future because it's not a comp website it's MSE. Your all trying to make the best of a bad website for comping.

Said it before will say it again move to a comping website simple as that there are plenty of computer literate compers on here so setting it up should not be difficult or if that's too much trouble move to one already set up that allows members to add comps.

Think of all the time & energy you will save especially the advents coming it would be an ideal time to start fresh
    It's TicketyBoo To Be TickTwo!
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 12th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 88,835 Thanks
    Blulu

Blu X
    • jaibaby
    • By jaibaby 12th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 286,929 Thanks
    jaibaby
    Like I said earlier, if every comp gets posted on the main, it is going to be manic when the Advents start! There are 100s od Advent dailies!
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    Hence why we have the sticky thread for all the advents.

I would suggest every competition be posted on the main board. If it's a daily / weekly entry for the same prize then it'd be posted with the end date on and added to a daily or weekly thread (surely this would be easier - people can bookmark / turn on notifications) - if it's a different competition every day / week they should be posted as such. Yes, the board would have more comps, but they'd expire after the day was up.
    2017 wins: £1981.88 / £2017

Jan: Makeup hamper, £1000 Thomas Cook voucher, LoveHearts air freshener. Feb: Razor. March: Batman T-shirt, Fold-n-go 5-in-1 trike. April: Moana film, £5 Mcdonalds Monopoly May:Minion Sunglasses June:Squishy Minion toy, Roberts Radio July:Squishy Minion toy
    August:Minion card game, £100 cheque September:iPad 9.7, Picnic Hamper
    October:Reindeer Pug toy
    50 Challenges for 50 Compers in 2017: member no. 17 - 38/50

Thanks to all posters
    • jaibaby
    • By jaibaby 12th Oct 17, 10:42 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 286,929 Thanks
    jaibaby
    Comping on MSE won't work it never has & will not in the future because it's not a comp website it's MSE.
    Originally posted by TickTwo
    Yet I manage on a daily basis..... as do many others, to use it as a comp website
    2017 wins: £1981.88 / £2017

Jan: Makeup hamper, £1000 Thomas Cook voucher, LoveHearts air freshener. Feb: Razor. March: Batman T-shirt, Fold-n-go 5-in-1 trike. April: Moana film, £5 Mcdonalds Monopoly May:Minion Sunglasses June:Squishy Minion toy, Roberts Radio July:Squishy Minion toy
    August:Minion card game, £100 cheque September:iPad 9.7, Picnic Hamper
    October:Reindeer Pug toy
    50 Challenges for 50 Compers in 2017: member no. 17 - 38/50

Thanks to all posters
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 13th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 9,182 Posts
    • 320,330 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Speaking of the Advents, do we have a volunteer to run the Advents thread this year? (I've a memory like a sieve so forgive me if we have!) There has already been a few Weekly Advents posted on the main and many bloggers run their Advents throughout November so we should get sorted!

A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • Glad
    • By Glad 13th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 17,866 Posts
    • 38,737 Thanks
    Glad
    Hi

sorry for not posting yet but I have been keeping up

As a Board Guide it really won't make any difference wether we have a Regs board or everything posted on the main board, as long as it's easier and more user friendly for you compers it will probably be easier with only the main board as we won't get merge/move requests to the regs board

here are some thoughts and suggestions, some are mine and some from discussions with other compers

a poll doesn't really work with more than 2 options eg 43 people voted for the 2nd option in this poll but 57 people didn't want that option

closing the regs board means everything is in one place and seen by all, people don't know about the regs board so miss a lot of comps

not sure why people use the postal sub board but not the regs sub board?

if people want all comps on the main board that should include the postals, easy enough to put POSTAL or TEXT in the title

made up dates are just going to confuse people, better to carry on with E: ONCEONLY E: DAILY etc. People manage to find the puzzler and TAB threads without them having the date format

Weekly comps could be posted as a new comp each week regardless of wether they're ongoing or not?

ongoing weeklies could be posted E: WEEKLY and those only running for a set time posted each week with an end date

there will be no index threads if we don't have a regs board

couldn't we have ALL regular entry comps on the regs board and use it in a more productive way?

off out now I'll catch up later
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 14th Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 32,631 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    I've been using mse for a long time!

I was unaware there were comps on the regs board that aren't on the main board. I always thought they were posted once to the main and then continued on regs. I like to bookmark the ones I want to do on my own desktop. I even have a weekly folder and a monthly folder! Does everyone expect the hardwork done for them? isn't it the joy of comping to have your own routines and systems?
    please don't mix postals in the main board!! I love that they are separate so I can sit down with my stationery when I get the time!
    won't having those free lotteries on the main board make it messy and longer to scroll through for everyone who works through it everyday?
    for new compers all the info is in the sticky help threads! if they don't use it then surely their fault. If you look at Di's website the way she has organised lottos works for me.
    Thanks to all who post comps !
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 14th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 88,835 Thanks
    Blulu
    I'm retracting my white flag, mainly to say that this is all probably pointless anyway. I can't see anything changing. Our system isn't 'change friendly'. How do we make it happen? I don't know what to ask, where to ask, how to ask, in order to gather the information the BGs need so that they can then change things. So my guess is that we're stuck with it the way it is. And the way it is is OK. I mean, it works fine. It's definitely not the best it could be, but I don't think there is much more I can do, or am prepared to do.

Bubble, when you say about posting 'these lotteries' on the main board. To the best of my knowledge the number of 'these lotteries' has doubled this week. They've gone from 1 to 2. As mjm has said above. There really aren't many comps on the regs that aren't posted on the main board, other than the C2w, postals, and similar.

If these few extra comps were posted on the main board, it would mean that most of our compers would at least see them. At the moment, my guess is that a large number of compers seldom visit the regs, to see what new comps are there. And yes, up to a point, that's their choice. But surely, we should make our system as user friendly as possible. Then it's up to individuals to come up with their own comping system/s.

I would far rather see all comps posted on the main board , other than C2W, postals, advents, and whatever other category that someone is bound to point out I've overlooked (Do I really need to say this every time?). That way we can look in one place, work through them, and decide for ourselves which to enter.

It would simplify MSE a lot to get rid of the entire regs board. It would make it easier to run, and easier to use. We just need to house the lists of postals, c2ws, etc, somewhere on the main board, and then post everything else there too. The only thing in the way of posting on-going comps on the main board is deciding which end date to use. I honestly think using E: 00/00 is the best solution. It fits the current system. It would group them all together at the bottom of the board for end-daters, and it's fairly obvious what it means. We could list them something like:

E: 00/00 Win a life (Daily) or E: 00/00 Win chocolate (Monthly)

End-daters would just need to learn to incorporate 00/00 in their normal searching. Which would be easier than trawling through the regs board for them anyway.

It would mean that most MSE compers would find most comps, as part of their normal comping system.

But as I say, I don't believe any of our suggestions will change anything, because who is going to make it happen? It's already taken too much time and effort to get to this stage. And this stage is pretty much nowhere.

Blu X
    Last edited by Blulu; 14-10-2017 at 3:40 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,942Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter