Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Should reg comps be posted on the main board?

Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12

36.84% • 42 votes

Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted

43.86% • 50 votes

Posting them with an end date E: 31/13?

6.14% • 7 votes

Any other suggestions?

2.63% • 3 votes

Not posting them on the main board at all

11.40% • 13 votes

You may not vote on this poll

114 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 7th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 5,308Posts
    • 89,307Thanks
    Blulu
    Should regs be posted on main board?
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    Should regs be posted on main board? 7th Oct 17 at 1:39 PM
    A brief discussion on another thread has prompted me to ask, should we be posting regular comps on the main board?

I think we should. When a new comp is posted directly to the regs, I'm sure that lots of us miss out on seeing them. I would have them posted on the main board, and then linking that post to the regulars board. I don't know what the best system would be:

1) Posting on the main board with an end date of E: 31/12

2) Having an on-going thread on the main board which gets bumped when new regular comps are posted

3) What about posting them all with an end date E: 31/13? Would this prevent them from being expired?

4) Any other suggestions?

5) Not posting them on the main board at all.

I have added a poll. Please vote, or if you are not sure, wait to see how the discussion goes and you can vote later when you've decided. Feel free to discuss/explain your choice.

Blu X
    Last edited by Blulu; 07-10-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
Page 2
    • toniq
    • By toniq 8th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 28,281 Posts
    • 611,953 Thanks
    toniq
    You aint going to get a permanent sticky on main so I voted first option.

Mse made it clear a few years ago to the Bg's that everything had to be condensed into a few stickies. Hence Glad has a sticky linking to various other threads. They had to tidy up the boards.

The advent thread is only ever a temp sticky so we can get away with that one!

You really have one issue and that is too make sure everyone follows the same method, but herein lies the issue, who will police it? Bg's are busy enough, if other users do it can get volatile if someone takes umbridge, which guaranteed they will.
    Last edited by toniq; 08-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• Blulu
    • By Blulu 8th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 89,307 Thanks
    Blulu
    Thanks Toni.

Sticky? I don't think we need one. You are right about us aiming to use one method. The main thing is that the BGs know and agree. Then if folk don't post as required, I guess we would ask a BG to modify the end date, while keeping the posts where we want them to be. As happens now when people don't post in the right format.

Blu X
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 8th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 35,515 Posts
    • 233,378 Thanks
    mjm3346
    So far some ongoing "lotto" posts are the only ones for this "combined" thread as everything else fits within the normal posting criteria. Say there are 20 of those comps, once they are in a post whether that has a monthly or annual end date it's easy to just copy and paste for the next month/year as required without needing any special date format.

I suppose it's a question of where one stops, do we tear off the toilet roll and give people the full botty wipe as well? There are daily instant wins that run for a couple of weeks (some longer) that are posted correctly by end date but a "strict" end-dater would miss out on all but the last few days.

Or just have a thread with a title like

E: 31/10 Win Cash and Much More

There are multiple competitions in this section of the forum with a vast range of prizes, from enter daily/weekly/monthly competitions to those you just enter once to be in all the draws. Check it out now!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93
    • cornishpasty1
    • By cornishpasty1 8th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 23,717 Posts
    • 1,839,279 Thanks
    cornishpasty1
    Here is a perfect example of what's happening without us knowing/realising:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5541519

I have this bookmarked showing E: 31/12 ? Win a set of PUMP Audio in-ear headphones but I presume the boardguides have taken it upon themselves to make it a regular and change the format and move to The Regular Competitions Board (and off of the main board). I posted a comp back along and the same thing happened to my thread.

Personally I would think it better to post ie E: 31/12 ***** (Daily/Weekly/Monthly) and allow the post to get bumped as and when relevant changes occur (and stay on the main board).

Personally I prefer an ongoing thread to be marked ie Weekly with an end date and only posted once (with a link into Weekly thread). I would also personally prefer the ongoing monthly competitions to not be posted each month or at least be marked monthly (as it's more to sift through), but that's my personal wish and I work with however they get posted.

It's OK to say all should be posted weekly or monthly but it's more work for whoever posts them and perhaps a possibility of being overlooked.
    Huge thanks to all that contribute positively to the forums

• grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 8th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 1,014,551 Thanks
    grannybiker
    But why are they being moved? Surely the BGs know that all comps need to be on the main board, so even if someone asks they could politely explain?
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 8th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 35,515 Posts
    • 233,378 Thanks
    mjm3346
    It's OK to say all should be posted weekly or monthly but it's more work for whoever posts them and perhaps a possibility of being overlooked.
    Originally posted by cornishpasty1
    If they are posted with the correct date on main (for the weekly ones that is just one week not the final closing date) then they are on the board and potentially seen by everyone in the first week and it has taken whoever posts it no extra time to do this instead of posting just the final date - doesn't have to be the OP who posts the subsequent weeks but everybody including end-daters can already have bookmarked the competition.
    I suppose if they are posted with the final date anybody else could post the other weeks and perhaps just point out where the final week has been posted - that way the OP doesn't need to do anything differently if they don't want to.

(Just checked, the weekly thread index stopped being updated almost 3 years ago)
    Last edited by mjm3346; 08-10-2017 at 6:33 PM.
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 8th Oct 17, 10:31 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 89,307 Thanks
    Blulu
    Just to say another thanks to all who have voted and/or commented. I'm not too sure exactly what we want to do next, so I have pm-ed a BG and a MSE staff member to ask them to have a peek at this thread, and offer whatever input they think would be helpful. We should probably give them a little time to think and possibly natter.

If nothing else, it is clear that most of us think all these comps should live on the main board. So I suggest we aim for that, regardless of the surrounding system. To that end, if anyone sees a regular comp that isn't posted on the main board, perhaps contact a BG and ask them to move it?

Blu X
    • Daphne01
    • By Daphne01 8th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 15,729 Posts
    • 817,319 Thanks
    Daphne01
    The ongoing dailys like the postcode one I think should be posted on the main board once a year with the 31/12 of the date, then someone renew it every year.

The weeklys, I never understand the logic. There are plenty of weeklys that get posted up on the main board every single week without fail, mostly by the same posters which obviously is great. Off the top of my head on friday's there is Next, aldi, universal textiles, tuesdays there is the infamous fishslice, Wednesday we get Yours and Little Tikes etc. But hidden away on the regulars board is a weekly for Honeybuns, which is a Tuesday comp which only ever gets around 30 likes, but is no different a comp to all the other regular weeklys, so why it doesn't deserve a spot on the main board I don't know? There are a few in there the same, one for socks, jellyegg etc. There doesn't seem to be any logic too it.
    Originally posted by mumto2boys
    I post a few of those weekly ones on the main board and just put a link on each regulars/weekly post, I agree most would miss them otherwise

Here is a perfect example of what's happening without us knowing/realising:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5541519

I have this bookmarked showing E: 31/12 ? Win a set of PUMP Audio in-ear headphones but I presume the boardguides have taken it upon themselves to make it a regular and change the format and move to The Regular Competitions Board (and off of the main board). I posted a comp back along and the same thing happened to my thread.

Personally I would think it better to post ie E: 31/12 ***** (Daily/Weekly/Monthly) and allow the post to get bumped as and when relevant changes occur (and stay on the main board).

Personally I prefer an ongoing thread to be marked ie Weekly with an end date and only posted once (with a link into Weekly thread). I would also personally prefer the ongoing monthly competitions to not be posted each month or at least be marked monthly (as it's more to sift through), but that's my personal wish and I work with however they get posted.

Originally posted by cornishpasty1
    Yes, I posted that one with an end date but the title was changed and then moved. Personnally I wouldn't mind posting it weekly on the main and adding a link to the regs post, again more people see it that way
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 9th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 9,186 Posts
    • 320,579 Thanks
    BlueBella
    I like the way the Honeybuns weekly thread is updated on a weekly basis rather having each weekly comp posted seperately. I also like to see daily comps posted and then updated in the same way too - that is how the Advents are organised and it seems to work?
    It would be manic if every Advent daily was posted up seperately! So I vote for weeklies and dailies to be posted up once on then main the to have those threads updated weekly/daily Just my opinion though
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 35,515 Posts
    • 233,378 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Weeklies are supposed to be posted each week fresh on the main Board and really there is no reason for weeklies to be in the regulars section other than as a convenience for some users.
    Having weeklies once on the Main reduces visibility not increases it.

ETA: yes it seems that people would like them all posted new each week so there wouldn't be a need for the weekly thread

(turn-out so far for the poll is less than 10% and the leading options represent less than 4% of registered active users in the comp section - basis of using 800 as a low figure for those who log in and thank at least one post a week, actual users will be much higher)
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 9th Oct 17, 3:24 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 89,307 Thanks
    Blulu

(turn-out so far for the poll is less than 10% and the leading options represent less than 4% of registered active users in the comp section - basis of using 800 as a low figure for those who log in and thank at least one post a week, actual users will be much higher)
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    True, but then, that's how most stats 'work' - LOL.

Blu X
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 35,515 Posts
    • 233,378 Thanks
    mjm3346
    True, but then, that's how most stats 'work' - LOL.

Blu X
    Originally posted by Blulu
    That's true I did attempt to make the vote percentages look as high as possible, taking the 4,000 figure of views that single posts can get would put turnout at less than 2% and the highest voted options at less than 1% each of the potential vote.

There probably isn't a "one size fits all" thinking of "Goodreads" for example, normal competitions, normal open and close dates with different prizes for each competition, not on the main simply because there are "a lot" of them!
    On that basis the express group (star, now etc) with multiple entry routes and competitions along with the mag dailies and their various entry routes and multiple competitions shouldn't be on main either as there are probably more of them than are Goodreads, it's certainly "a lot".
    Last edited by mjm3346; 09-10-2017 at 4:11 PM.
    • renegadia
    • By renegadia 9th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 15,519 Thanks
    renegadia
    Ren's written a story...please don't report this one....it's taken me years to write.

There's another, far easier option, although it's a bit drastic. If we take the discussion of this thread as a general concensus of every comping member and non-member that uses MSE as a portal (impossible to as noted above but hear me out), the vast majority either don't use the Regs board for comping, or don't have time, or just don't even visit.

If every comp has to go on the main board anyway then cut out the confusion and remove the Regs board entirely. One board for comps, one board for expired comps, and a board for CCC.

The comp threads in Regs could just be moved to main, and left titled as they are. If it's an ongoing never ending comp then E: DAILY, E: WEEKLY, it's fairly obvious that it's a daily or weekly, you could even put which day it's drawn on in the title. Ongoing Monthlies have always been reposted every month so that's all fine.

Weeklies and Dailies that have a kill date, they can just be left as they are again with E: 08/12 Win some stuff (weekly).

It would possibly reduce and prevent dupes for those that search the main board only. (Is there any reason why we've stopped requesting merges by the way? Only saying as we're discussing about making things more accessible...)

For those self-promoters...er....sorry, genuine new users that post comps they find because they want to join in the fun, those that get the date wrong, or say something is E: ONGOING or E: 31/12? when there is a kill date, then BG's are there to edit the date/title if required, it what I always used to do for those that were E:08 or E: 8/ etc etc...

That only leaves the link lists on the Regs board....I'm not sure why the Weekly one is even open as someone mentioned earlier it's not been updated for years. Now, I appreciate everyone has their own methods of comping, and I'd never tell anyone to go suck an egg (unless it was for money) but I've never used these linky lists....am I right in assuming that they exist purely as a bookmark of sorts? If I'm not right, then forget this entire post, but the forum has a limited thread subscription system...I think it's 200 threads? "But Ren, I hear you all cry, "I have millions of threads on this list" I don't know how iPad or phone comping works, I've won neither, but most if not all browsers have a bookmarking system or something?

It would also mean posters of the comps wouldn't then have to crosspost onto a thread, saving time. It means those threads wouldn't need updating, saving more time. No doubt there is something blindingly obvious I am missing, but my suggestion is to just remove the Regs board.

Pros -

All comps have to go on main by default.
    Comps would be titled as is in regs, making it easy to decipher it's a regular ongo'er
    No need to link to anything, just post the comp and carry on.
    If you sort by date order, it would group them altogether at an end.
    They can be managed better, bumped for new weeks etc.
    Date errors/issues could be rectified much the same as now.
    Easier to manage and maintain

Cons -

People might have to change their comping method of bookmarking.
    Golly, I've got the newt pregnant...

**Gulp**
    • mansey
    • By mansey 9th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 11,800 Thanks
    mansey
    I have always thought everything should be on one board with links to the area you would like to go to.
    It is OK for folks who have used the boards for years but it must be so confusing to newbies.
    As Ren mentioned there are posts on the weekly/daily thread that are several years out of date.
    Why are they still there?
    Why is the thread still there?

It's no wonder there are only a handful of folks who post comps when you have to post a comp on the main board then post it again in another category, what a waste of time.

The problem with MSE is it is old and stale and stuck in it's ways it drastically needs modernising.

It has been mentioned many times before on many threads that a lot of folks are comping from Competition Database because it is so simple to use you go to one main page then there are lists down the edge of that page to take you to which ever area of comping you like to do, a chat room, a winners page and no heavy handed policing.

Do you think this thread will get any attention/any action?
    Many people have tried many times before and most get ignored.
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • Glad
    • By Glad 9th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 17,866 Posts
    • 38,740 Thanks
    Glad
    Hi and evening all

Andrea has asked that I take a look at this thread, there seems to be a little confusion over what was decided when we had the last major discussion (back in 2011!)

Looking back over the discussions and my email folder this is what eventually came out of weeks of discussion about the regs board

Monthly comps - to be posted on the main board with a new thread each month.

Weekly comps - if they have a weekly change of prize/terms or are running for a set period then posted on main board with a new thread each week. If they are running indefinitely with basically the same prize every week then posted on the regs board

Daily comps - set end date then on main board with an overall end date and a link in the dailies thread. Running indefinitely posted in regs board

Once only entry comps - set end date posted on main board. Ongoing eg newsletter sign up posted in regs board

At no point was it agreed that a comp could have two threads, ie all posted on main board with a thread in regs linking to the main board

The problem back then was finding a sytem everyone was happy with, we didn't get it sorted properly then and I'm not sure how to sort it now unless we get rid of the regs board altogether and find a working method to have all comps on the main board

choices are

leave it as it is and some people change their way of comping so they don't miss out on comps posted in regs

post all comps on main board and some people change their way of comping to accomodate that

it's your board and I'm happy to BG it however it works best for you, it's deciding as a community how to set it up that's always the sticking point
    Last edited by Glad; 09-10-2017 at 7:13 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 9th Oct 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 58,677 Thanks
    hdh74
    Get rid of the regs board and have it all on one works for me.
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 9th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 89,307 Thanks
    Blulu
    I also would like to see the regs board go. I think it's more trouble than it's worth. Also, a friend just recently got into comping - probably with a little influence from me. But she's using Loquax because she found MSE too complicated. I suspect if we did away with the regs board it would make things easier and better for most of us.

Thanks for your input Glad

Blu X
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 10th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 89,307 Thanks
    Blulu
    Right, me again, this is going to be another long one, and I make no apology for that. I think we should thrash this out and reach the best solution we can, for the good of the forum.

Currently, 82 people have voted, and only 6 of them opted to post any comp directly to the regs board. Nobody has yet offered any argument,convincing or not, as to why they prefer some comps not posted to the main board. If we make no other change, the very least we should agree on is to change this, so that every comp is posted on the main board.

The reason I say this is because this whole thing came up when I found an ongoing comp to post, but didn't know where to stick it. If I had posted it directly on the regs board, lots of, probably most, compers would not have seen it.

The only issue with posting on-going comps to the main board is deciding what end date to give them. If we cannot find a perfect solution, then we should probably use 31/12. That would be far from ideal, as they would still expire, but at least it would mean all current users would have the chance to see every comp. End-daters would have to work out how best to find them. They could incorporate end of the year comps, as part of their on-going routine.

However, even better, in my opinion, would be if we could find a way to use an end date specific to on-going comps, one that would mean they never expire without us clicking to expire them. I'll ask again, would using "E: 00/00" or "E: 00/13" work? This wouldn't only be useful for end-daters, but it would make the listings more accurate. We'd see at a glance that a comp is on-going. I think that would be a big improvement.

Now then, I also have an idea to simplify the regulars. I think we should do away with the regulars board completely. Instead, we should run a regulars thread, or better still call it "On-Going Comps" or "Multiple Entry." See Firefly's point above, about the confusion re calling it "regular".

This On-Going Comps thread should replace the entire Regulars board. It should probably never expire. There would be no need for anyone to run it. All comps would be posted on the main board. And then we could cross-reference them to the On-Going Comps thread. I suggest copying the title and MSE link of any newly posted on-going comp to the bottom of the thread. There would be no need to sort them into categories. It wouldn't matter if it was a daily, weekly, monthly, RC, Gleam or anything else.

End-daters, and anyone who wanted to, could subscribe to the thread, or check it as part of their comping routine. Similarly to the Puzzler/Take a Break thread, we could click thanks to mark where we reach on the thread. Then it would be a case of quickly scanning newer ones. Yes, it might be a little more faffing and time-consuming for end-daters. But I think the advantages would outweigh that by lots.

It would mean everyone would have the chance to see every comp posted. It wouldn't be complicated to post any of these. The OP could add a link to the On-Going Comp thread, or someone else could do that later, as happens now with links added to the dailies, etc.

I'm done - for the moment at least

Blu X
    Last edited by Blulu; 10-10-2017 at 9:22 AM.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 10th Oct 17, 9:37 AM
    • 3,719 Posts
    • 292,392 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    I don't really follow the regular comps so if they were on the main board then I'd probably enter more of them (once) ... but as soon as I've green ticked it I'll never look at it again so I'll always forget to re-visit "regularly".

If it's an on-going / regular competition could we not just change the title format to :

O : 02/12 " .... Using an O instead of the E ... it wouldn't really screw up the sorting too much
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 10th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 9,186 Posts
    • 320,579 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Like I said earlier, if every comp gets posted on the main, it is going to be manic when the Advents start! There are 100s od Advent dailies!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

910Posts Today

5,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin