Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the gardener
    • By the gardener 7th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 5Thanks
    the gardener
    buying car tyres
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    buying car tyres 7th Oct 17 at 12:59 PM
    online choices any thoughts ? blackcircles/asda or ???
Page 2
    • n217970
    • By n217970 9th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    n217970
    I do a lot of DIY work on cars but send the bigger jobs/MOTs to a small garage on the same estate I work. Built a pretty good relationship up with them over the years. This garage also fit tyres for Blackcircles.

Anyway about 6 months ago I ordered a set of Hankooks on Blackcircles to be fitted at this garage. When I went to pick the car up the owner said I should have come straight to him as he would have beaten the Blackcircles price by a couple of quid each for Kumho tyres. "But that price is for Hankook tyres" I said. "Ahh, in that case I can't beat BC price" he said. Fair enough.
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 12:37 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk

Be aware though that any saving may be lost if you then take the tyres to a local fitter(
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    So why not fit them yourself, as it's a really easy job.
    • rubble2
    • By rubble2 4th Nov 17, 12:47 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    rubble2
    I always order tyres from Camskill and get them fitted at a local tyre place (£10.00 per tyre)

Everytime I go there we have the same conversation :-

Tyre fitter : How much did you pay for the tyres?
    Me: £X each
    Tyre fitter : I could have got you those for £X-Y each.
    Me: The exact same tyres?
    Tyre fitter: Not the exact same ones but the same size
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    I always order tyres from Camskill and get them fitted at a local tyre place (£10.00 per tyre)

Everytime I go there we have the same conversation :-

Tyre fitter : How much did you pay for the tyres?
    Me: £X each
    Tyre fitter : I could have got you those for £X-Y each.
    Me: The exact same tyres?
    Tyre fitter: Not the exact same ones but the same size
    Originally posted by rubble2
    This has been my experience in the past. I think £10 is very expensive just to fit a tyre. Why don't you have a go at fitting them yourself. It's a really easy job.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 4th Nov 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    So why not fit them yourself, as it's a really easy job.
    Originally posted by chilswelluk
    Really?

How do you do it?
    Show me the man and Iíll show you the crime Beria/Momentum
    • loskie
    • By loskie 4th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    loskie
    and balance?
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    Really?

How do you do it?
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu

It's really easy, I did my first car tyres a few weeks ago and filmed it. Bear in mind, it was my first time, so it just shows you how easy it is. I got fed up of spending £10 each just to get them fitted. Plus all the hassle of driving to a place and waiting around. Much better to just do them yourself.
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 3:00 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    and balance?
    Originally posted by loskie
    Just use a bubble balancer. Plenty of these on Ebay / Amazon. Also search youtube, loads of novel ways to balance.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 13,252 Posts
    • 17,468 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I’ve tried fitting tyres myself. It can be done but it isn’t an easy job by any means. If you are worried about damaging alloy rims, forget it. Never tried balancing myself though.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    I’ve tried fitting tyres myself. It can be done but it isn’t an easy job by any means. If you are worried about damaging alloy rims, forget it. Never tried balancing myself though.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    It is a very easy job. It took me a few minutes and I have never done it before in my life. I would even say it is easier than doing a bicycle tyre. I would post my video, but am not allowed to post links.

As for damaging the rims, again this is wrong. That's one of the reasons why I started doing my own. You can buy rim protectors, or cut up old plastic milk cartons as rim protectors, or wrap your tyre irons in some old bicycle inner tubes. I just changed 5 tyres and not one scratch on my rims.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 4th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 4,262 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    It is a very easy job. It took me a few minutes and I have never done it before in my life. I would even say it is easier than doing a bicycle tyre. I would post my video, but am not allowed to post links.

As for damaging the rims, again this is wrong. That's one of the reasons why I started doing my own. You can buy rim protectors, or cut up old plastic milk cartons as rim protectors, or wrap your tyre irons in some old bicycle inner tubes. I just changed 5 tyres and not one scratch on my rims.
    Originally posted by chilswelluk
    Sorry pal - but I don't believe a word of that.
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    Sorry pal - but I don't believe a word of that.

What don't you believe exactly? That you can remove the tyres without scratching the rims?
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 4th Nov 17, 8:38 PM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 5,514 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Because you're possibly the first person to say fitting and balancing modern tyres by hand is easy.

I know a few folk that do their own car work but don't fit tyres. I've tried taking tyres off a few smaller wheels and it's been a nightmare. I'm sure I could change one in an emergency, but I'd rather pay not to.
    Last edited by Herzlos; 04-11-2017 at 8:44 PM.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 4th Nov 17, 8:40 PM
    • 4,262 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Because you're possibly the first person to say fitting and balancing modern tyres by hand us easy.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    And it only took a few minutes!
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 9:30 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    And it only took a few minutes!

Go to youtube channel Jim1457a and watch the video "How to change your own tires by hand" The guy does it in a few minutes without a machine. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRAS1A6eEV0&t=223s

I don't get what point you are trying to make?
    Last edited by chilswelluk; 04-11-2017 at 9:56 PM.
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 9:33 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    I know a few folk that do their own car work but don't fit tyres. I've tried taking tyres off a few smaller wheels and it's been a nightmare.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Why was it a nightmare? For smaller wheels I just clamp them in an old vice and that easily breaks the bead. You can also use a jack or even drive over them. Once off the bread they are easy. The key is to bolt the wheel to something.

Sorry but I think people make a lot of fuss over this. These are my videos and it was the first time I did it. I even made a lot of mistakes, so it shows you how easy it is to do. People just say this job is "hard" without ever trying it. It would have been harder and more hassel to load everything into the car and go to a tyre place

Remove old tyres:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AleWMv_BbCk&t=23s

mount new tyres:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OePGSYWpU&t=23s
    Last edited by chilswelluk; 04-11-2017 at 9:46 PM.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 4th Nov 17, 10:29 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    when it comes to tyres I go for the chains over independants. I get the feeling that its better up north but in London where the rents are so high the prices are very expensive. Fitting tyres can be as much as £15 a tyre if you supply your own.

I am a costco member and buy tyres from them, they had good discounts on goodyear tyres. £7.50 off each goodyear tyre. Their prices are matched to the cheap suppliers asda/blackcircles so with the extra £7.50 off it went a long way.

Most importantly the fitting is much MUCH better at chains. I've seen far too many independants just use an impact driver to do up bolts. At costco they actually fastened up most of it with impact and finished up with a torque wrench.

Costco's policy is they only fit new tyres to the back axle, so if you want the front tyres changed they will move the back tyres to the front and then fit the new tyres to the back.

After they moved the back tyres to the front they actually balanced it for me when they didn't need to.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 4th Nov 17, 10:52 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    loskie
    chilswelluk

you certainly do not make the job look easy in your tyre removal video, in fact it is an accident waiting to happen. You say you don't damage the rims but the centre of that one is !!!!ed.
    And it's TYRE.
    • chilswelluk
    • By chilswelluk 4th Nov 17, 11:15 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    chilswelluk
    chilswelluk

You say you don't damage the rims but the centre of that one is !!!!ed.
    And it's TYRE.
    Yes they are, I used them for off road stuff. That's why, I never used them on road. And yes it is easy, it does not take long at all. Much easier for me than driving to a tyre place, having to wait around / book in etc. Plus it was my first time doing it, so with a little practice it is a piece of cake. Bit like car windscreens, people say they are a hassle to do, but it's really not that hard.
    Last edited by chilswelluk; 04-11-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 5th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 5,514 Thanks
    Herzlos
    chilswelluk

you certainly do not make the job look easy in your tyre removal video, in fact it is an accident waiting to happen. You say you don't damage the rims but the centre of that one is !!!!ed.
    And it's TYRE.
    That's what I was thinking. No way would I recommend any of that to someone. It may be fine for off road work with tatty wheels bit when modern alloys can be £300 each why take a very real risk of damage to save £40 every few years? I'm sure I can see about 6 spots where you've damaged the new rim, too.

No advice should ever include "or you can just drive over it" unless you're talking to a farmer.

You didn't look far from a bad accident for most of that. I hope noone seeing that video tries to copy it and ends off doing serious damage.

Beyond that there's the time; waiting for tools from ebay and the time spend bodging around. A proper fitter with tools will have all 4 replaced and back on car safely in the time it's taken you to fudge your way through it, and you can get it gone any time you want. Your approach only makes sense if you stuff a wheel and you're too far away from a fitted.
    Last edited by Herzlos; 05-11-2017 at 8:01 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin