Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Richard Bell 1962
    • By Richard Bell 1962 7th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Richard Bell 1962
    Water Pipe Cover
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    Water Pipe Cover 7th Oct 17 at 12:04 PM
    I recently had a leak in my central heating system, it has all been repaired and the water damage fixed by the insurance, but the insurance did not cover the plumbing. I have since discovered that I have water pipe cover with Homeserve. Does anyone know if I can claim for the plumbing work retrospectively. Homeserve say I can't
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 33,491 Posts
    • 17,366 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    The procedure for claiming will be set out in the policy.

Check the wording and if their advice is incorrect and you can use your own plumber then you have grounds for a complaint.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    Homeserve employ their own plumbers with a fleet of vans (plus they sometimes use sub-contractors). If you have a leak, you phone their call centre and your job gets allocated to one of their people who is nearby.

I guess it's a bit like the AA and car breakdowns. (And if your car broke down and you chose to get your car fixed at a garage instead of calling the AA, the AA wouldn't then pay your garage bill.)

You can double check your policy, but here's an extract from an example Homeserve policy:

How do I make a claim?
    1. If an incident occurs at your property, which is covered by your policy, please call the claims number shown on your policy schedule and we will arrange for the incident to be dealt with in accordance with the terms and conditions of your policy.

2. Claims must be made by you or a person calling on your behalf. Please call us as soon as you are aware of the incident. We will not be able to cover the costs of any work carried out by persons not authorised by us in advance.

Link: http://cover.homeserve.com/PDF/tac_UUIP87A_NW27912.PDF
    Last edited by eddddy; 07-10-2017 at 2:08 PM.
    • Richard Bell 1962
    • By Richard Bell 1962 8th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard Bell 1962
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    Thanks Chaps, It's not looking promising as they seem to be clear in the wording of the T's & C's.
    Worth a shot, couple of other things to try yet. I'll let you know if successful
  • HomeServe company representative
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    Hi Richard

When it comes to our water pipe cover, we would cover you for a leak on your plumbing pipework. Under the Terms and Conditions of cover, HomeServe should be called to log the claim and we would then deploy a HomeServe or HomeServe approved engineer to complete the work under your policy. We can consider a reimbursement, however this is not guaranteed. You can certainly send a reimbursement request to our Admin department who can look into this for you. You can do this by sending the information to Freepost RLYC-LXAL-GEEH, Customer Admin Department – reimbursement request, HomeServe, Cable Drive, Walsall, WS2 7BN. If you would like any further assistance, please get in touch via email. Our email address can be found on our profile page.

Kind regards,

Alice
    Here To Help Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Richard Bell 1962
    • By Richard Bell 1962 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard Bell 1962
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 10th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    Many thanks Alice for the information and your proactivity in this matter. I will certainly write to the Admin Dept. and hopefully there will be a happy conclusion to this. Just a pity I forgot I had this covered. Many thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,359Posts Today

7,582Users online

Martin's Twitter